Spyder Garage

Default Hypothesis on 2013 heat issue

On the eve of picking up our 2013 ST-S I have a hypothesis as to what might be causing some 2013 owners to have excessive heat and some not. The "NEW airflow side panel design" puts a triangular shaped vent on either side of the body that looks like it will direct air into the center section area around the engine where all this heat is building up. Take a look at any of the 2014 pics like this one...
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...chmentid=75801

Now when a 2013 model is NOT equipped with fog lights those two black scoops on the front adjacent to the frunk look like they are open and also vent air to the center section around the engine. Could those that are experiencing excessive heat be equipped with fog lights which blocks the air flow?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default For sure..!!

having the fog lights does cut out the flow of air to the inside but those for the most part are directed to the radiators. You need to get the flow further back like the new vents in the pics.20130128_093821.jpg As you can see those vents blow towards the shocks in front of the radiators. One member put turbo fans in the fog light holes and directed the flow with hoses to the upper engine compartment with great results...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't have fog lights and I'm part of the melted bits club.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I have fog lights...and belong to the melted bits club

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sorry melted bits members, I hope things will get better for you all.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have fog lights on my 2013 ST-S and have no heat problems at all, and I was just at the dealer today to get my recall work done and they said nothing melted at all. I think it has to do with when it was built, cause it seems like the ones built later in the year don't have the issues

Spyder Garage

we have fog lights but no heat problems,

Spyder Garage

If I remember correctly mine was built in April?

I have no fog lights.

I just hit 200 miles today and noticed for a second an orange screen earlier today...didnt see any message on it?

Then later stopped for gas and as I was taking off got an orange screen that said "high engine temps"...although my gauge showed fine temps.

I think that was okay since the BRP rep here said that that is common if the intake air is hot for a moment and it would clear...and it did.

As far as the ride it was in the 70's here today and the ride was comfortable in shorts...although I was moving the whole time...not in traffic.

I did start smelling gas pretty good for the first time today...even before filling up

Spyder Garage

I was reading the review on the 2014 RT, the other day and something struct me, no it wasn't the old lady.

Now since I am not a mecanic, I don't know what the following comment means.

In the review there was a comment made to the effect that some of the trikes were showing heat issues, then a comment to the fact that some of the PCV valves had been installed backwards, and that the heat issue disappeared once the correction was made.

I have no idea what this means, but let me know.

I will try and find the review in which this was stated.

Dom

Spyder Garage

A PCV valve lets the crankcase breathe, or release pressures...to atmosphere or to the intake tube where fumes can be burnt off.

i would think w it backwards it may cause other issues as well, but perhaps it could build "some" heat?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    A PCV valve lets the crankcase breathe, or release pressures...to atmosphere or to the intake tube where fumes can be burnt off.

i would think w it backwards it may cause other issues as well, but perhaps it could build "some" heat?
    This is the comment I had read in the RIDER magazine review :

Some of the test machines had trouble idling after numerous photo passes in the swampy heat, and later BRP reps told us that they found the PCV valve had been installed incorrectly (um, backwards) on those bikes.

Dom

Spyder Garage

poordom,

Here's where they mention the PCV valve installed backwards (5th paragraph at the end):

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...de-review.htm/

It didn't create a heat issue in this review.

Spyder Garage

I wonder what else is installed backwards?

Lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One of the things I have observed is that the "A" frame covers on the 2012 and earlier Spyders had fins built into them. These would route some air into the the radiators and that may serve to reduce the engine heat some. Those fins are not on the 2013 models.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    One of the things I have observed is that the "A" frame covers on the 2012 and earlier Spyders had fins built into them. These would route some air into the the radiators and that may serve to reduce the engine heat some. Those fins are not on the 2013 models.
    The engine heat is relatively constant as this is a water cooled engine. If it overheats, it will show on the gauge. The heat problems most are talking about are heat retained within the tupperware and transmitted to the ride at the seat, as well as overheating the gas tank and gas cap. Other riders complain of heat at their right foot, but that is normal radiator air outflow, and can only be redirected, not eliminated or reduced to speak of.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 09-21-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    I don't have fog lights and I'm part of the melted bits club.
    Well, there goes my hypothesis.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The engine heat is relatively constant as this is a water cooled engine. If it overheats, it will show on the gauge. The heat problems most are talking about are heat retained within the tupperware and transmitted to the ride at the seat, as well as overheating the gas tank and gas cap. Other riders complain of heat at their right foot, but that is normal radiator air outflow, and can only be redirected, not eliminated or reduced to speak of.
    True, but the possible additional airflow may help to evacuate some of the heat from under the tupperware.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    poordom,

Here's where they mention the PCV valve installed backwards (5th paragraph at the end):

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-sto...de-review.htm/

It didn't create a heat issue in this review.
    Correct, my mistake.

Dom

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    True, but the possible additional airflow may help to evacuate some of the heat from under the tupperware.
    Unfortunately that air does not flow under the tupperware around the engine. It is separated from the body cavity and ducted out the right side by the right foot. All of the heat on a Spyder does not come from the same source, nor is it contained or felt in the same area. There are several separate places, sources, and categories. There is minimal airflow through the body panels around the engine, and increasing it can actually push more heat out around the seat and gas tank..

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the comments on this folks. Today was delivery day and we bailed on the 2013 purchase and instead wrote an order for a 2014 ST-S SE5 in pearl white. Though there are plenty of owners here reporting no issues I was just too afraid of getting stuck with heat issues, especially in that it is in the 90s and up all summer here. I once sold an otherwise perfectly good Honda ST1300 after only 6 months due to heat swirling up behind the fairing and making the rider miserable.

Spyder Garage

Probably a good call at the end of the day if you can wait.

Spyder Garage

Default Have Fog Lights

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    On the eve of picking up our 2013 ST-S I have a hypothesis as to what might be causing some 2013 owners to have excessive heat and some not. The "NEW airflow side panel design" puts a triangular shaped vent on either side of the body that looks like it will direct air into the center section area around the engine where all this heat is building up. Take a look at any of the 2014 pics like this one...
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/a...chmentid=75801

Now when a 2013 model is NOT equipped with fog lights those two black scoops on the front adjacent to the frunk look like they are open and also vent air to the center section around the engine. Could those that are experiencing excessive heat be equipped with fog lights which blocks the air flow?
    You may have something there, as I have both the fog lights and heat problem on my ST-Limited, whatever the reason for the heat problem BRP should be on top of it an get it fixed
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RandyL View Post
    Thanks for all the comments on this folks. Today was delivery day and we bailed on the 2013 purchase and instead wrote an order for a 2014 ST-S SE5 in pearl white. Though there are plenty of owners here reporting no issues I was just too afraid of getting stuck with heat issues, especially in that it is in the 90s and up all summer here. I once sold an otherwise perfectly good Honda ST1300 after only 6 months due to heat swirling up behind the fairing and making the rider miserable.
    I rest my case, BRP sells a another 2014, because of problems with the 2013s why worry about a fix for the 2013s
    2017 F3-S , circuit yellow