Thread: Oil Amount

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Amount

Dealer does not get it. Just read the book. See if you agree with me. Dealer says my 2012 Limited (SE5) holds 4QT total US. with both filters changed. I read on pages 132 and 133 of my book from the Spyder the total amount with both filters changed is 4.5 US. Qts. You will read 4.4 but keep reading. now I understand why I always had to add oil after the shop changed the oil. Doing this change myself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Looks like..!!

Your shop never checked the oil after change. It will vary on how long you let it drain, how hot the oil is. But I find many have this problem. I do my own and have found if I use the specified amount it will be over filled. When you do your own put a bit less, start it up and run till normal running temp check and top off..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    ...I do my own and have found if I use the specified amount it will be over filled. When you do your own put a bit less, start it up and run till normal running temp check and top off..
    I agree. Best way to do it. I've never put in the stated amount -- that would be over-full. And make sure that "running temp" is actually from riding the bike, not just letting it idle until the water gauge shows normal temp. Ride it and get the oil hot.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

I do all my other Motor Cycles and ATVs ect. But on the Spyder I was talked into the dealers 3 Year all normal Maintenance labor and parts. Got the Spyder for my wife. I ride a Goldwing GL1800. Fires of next month will be 16 Months and she has 24,263 miles on it. Miles don't count just three years. So I do have the dealer do most oil changes and all the 12000 mile ect check ups. it don't cost me a thing. Do to the high mileage we ride the cost has paid over three times now. they don't like to see me come in. Thanks for the input. I drained for four hours and put in a total of 4.5 US Qts. Oil is just a touch over the mark maybe. Its that close. Sometimes she will let me ride the Spyder lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all you guys who chip in and I've learned few things from all.

Spyder Garage

Put in 4 quarts, ride till operating temperature is reached, check and you'll probably add .24~.40 quarts to reach the full mark. There seem to be a lot of dealer oil changes that are either low or over filled.

Save time, money and grief, change the oil/filters yourself. You can do it!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil Change

What is the saving when you change your own oil verse the dealer,My dealer said it will cost me $120 for him to change it.

Put in 4 quarts, ride till operating temperature is reached, check and you'll probably add .24~.40 quarts to reach the full mark. There seem to be a lot of dealer oil changes that are either low or over filled.

Save time, money and grief, change the oil/filters yourself. You can do it! [/QUOTE]

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by crw8781 View Post
    What is the saving when you change your own oil verse the dealer,My dealer said it will cost me $120 for him to change it.
    You can do it yourself for about 1/2 - 3/4 this price depending on what components you use and where you get them.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

OK. I have been doing my own oil Changes. But if I drain the reservoir and the motor. (Some miss this drain) Like the dealer. I start with asking the tech when I ask to see the bike apart (Is that reservoir thing the only place there is to drain the oil? Yep I'm told and with bike up on lift I can see the motor drain on my 2012 SE5 Limited has not been removed. The oil changes I had the dealer do were free. ( part of my deal) now I have been doing my own. As for amount put is what the book says. Now my Spyder oil level does not get low between oil changes. New CB Radio does not work. the Battle is on about that. Dealer has no Idea.

Spyder Garage

Good info in here.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've learned not to trust the dealer when it comes to oil changes . . . I checked my oil, regularly, and never needed to add any . . . took it in for the 600 mile and had the dealer do the service. For some reason, when I got home, I didn't check . . . next time I rode, I checked oil when I got home . . . no oil at all on the dip stick. I added a little, went for a ride, and checked again . . . still nothing . . . I ended up adding just over a half quart to get it to the full mark, adding a little at a time. In the next 1,500 miles . . . no oil needed. The only way that could happen is if the dealer let it leave the dealership low on oil.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    You can do it yourself for about 1/2 - 3/4 this price depending on what components you use and where you get them.
    THIS^^^^^ I just changed mine last weekend. New semi synthetic oil, both filters, 39.00. 4 quarts on the nose.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    ... The only way that could happen is if the dealer let it leave the dealership low on oil.
    Mine was overfilled, when I received it from a dealer. I brought it back and they drained half-a-litre (16 ounces) of excess oil. Go figure.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Many dealers will not slit a quart of oil when changing it, and they don't use bulk oil. If they put in 4 quarts it will be too low and with 5 quarts it is too much. If they don't hand you a half quart or so when you pick up the Spyder, be suspicious.