Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle GPS (you get what you pay for)

Now first i want you to know that i consider myself to be a fairly intelligent guy, if you don't believe me just ask me, i will tell you that i am fairly intelligent

I thought that i would save some money and buy a Garmin Nuvi GPS for my Spyder, well i did buy it and saved a lot of money, well i bought it but apparently a car GPS and a Motorcycle GPS have different screens, my old GPS was real easy to see in the sunlight (it was a motorcycle GPS) my new one is almost glared out by the sun all the time. Moral of this story .... Go cheap and you get what you pay for.

Anybody interested in buying a (factory Rebuilt) Gamin Nuvi 50 LM? $65.00 with all the brackets and chargers that come with it???

Cruzr Joe

PM me here or email me at jplouch@stephensgroup.com

Update .... GPS Sold ......
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 08-12-2013 at 07:47 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You thought the sun was bad wait until it rains. I just use my IPhone for GPS along with my Scala G9 and it works good for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Eh... I use a Garmin 1300 for my Spyder and have since 2009. True the car screens are not as bright but they are bright enough if you are powering them and position them properly.

I just look down at mine from time to time just to make sure I'm still on the right track.

If you weren't powering it, it would explain the dim screen. Mine is also mounted up high on my Windshield mounts, so I get less overhead sun than compared to those who mount theirs down on the bars.

Spyder Garage

There are a variety of sun shades available for GPS units. They attach with velcro and do a good job of shading the screen in strong sunlight.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

Also have the 1300 and works fine. Little more work positioning but otherwise not a problem. Have been in several downpours with no time to cover and no problem. But your right the motorcycle ones are easier to see but thats about it. If I didn't have one in every vehicle I would buy yours...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe, I have the Garmin Zumo 660 and it isn't worth a crap in the sunlight. You ain't as dumb as you thought my man. (Anybody that leaves Crooklyn and heads to Arkansas can't be all that dumb, AND not only thaT you're an awfully likeable guy).

Bottom line is that you may want to look around for a hood, and even then, depending on which way you're headed, you're still gonna get sunlight on the screen.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

My Nuvi 1490 LMT Powered all the time with a sun shield and positioned correctly works great at about a third of the price of a cycle unit ill save the money for other farkles Happy happpy.
    Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS MIGHT WORK FOR YOU

You can buy small size pieces of NON-GLARE lexan or similar stuff that you can put over the screen .....They use it for art pictures mostly, try an art supply shop they will have small sizes and can trim it for you........It's worth a shot.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe is not only intelligent; he's crazy... crazy like a fox!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Maybe try adding a GlareStomper ?

I minimized my mistake with a $17 GlareStomper http://www.glarestomper.com

Last edited by Peter Aawen; Yesterday at 10:17 AM.
    '13 Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just replaced my $600 Zumo after 1 year due to glitching. I would turn it self off any old time then not restart unless I pulled the battery. It then started messing with my audio system, causing my speakers to snap and crack like bad finals. I tried reloading the software but the problem is deeper than that. I will send it in to garmin to check it out but I have to pay for the repairs. I bought a new one (660 again) and it fixed all the problems, I reused the existing mount system and simply snapped it in. So.... even buying the best is worthless today it seems

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hello I have a 1390LMT with ram mount up on top of the dash on my RT.
    I made a 5” deep solid sun shade with sides and it works well for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GoNoGo View Post
    I minimized my mistake with a $17 GlareStomper http://www.glarestomper.com

I had one of those and it didn't do much. Now I have a 4 sided one that is 3" long on each side and also glare reduction film and it's still no better. So, I just listen through bluetooth for directions. I've angled it all different ways and have installed it high above the dash and still there is too much glare.

Spyder Garage

i am going to try the stomper, if that don't work then i will sell it (with a glare stomper)

I did not know they would be brighter if powered by something other than the battery.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Also check the brightness setting. It is adjustable. I had to buy a 50LM as a backup on our trip to Maggie Valley. It worked fine for me when plugged in to a USB adapter cable.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    i am going to try the stomper, if that don't work then i will sell it (with a glare stomper)

I did not know they would be brighter if powered by something other than the battery.

Cruzr Joe
    You should have gone with the 2013 RT Limited . . . it has a brightness adjustment . . . for the sun! Actually, I bought a UClear 100 for my helmet and I listen to the GPS rather than watching it . . .
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Mine was $235. It is visible in direct sunlight. I also mutes the system audio when the GPS "speaks".

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...stall-complete

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just purchased a Garmin Nuvi 550. This unit isn't being made anymore, but I bought a reconditioned one with a full year warranty. I haven't receive it yet, but I want something that was more motorcycle friendly and water/weather proof. I'll have to report on the until as soon as I get a chance to try it out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool Garmin GPS

Now first i want you to know that i consider myself to be a fairly intelligent guy, if you don't believe me just ask me, i will tell you that i am fairly intelligent

I thought that i would save some money and buy a Garmin Nuvi GPS for my Spyder, well i did buy it and saved a lot of money, well i bought it but apparently a car GPS and a Motorcycle GPS have different screens, my old GPS was real easy to see in the sunlight (it was a motorcycle GPS) my new one is almost glared out by the sun all the time. Moral of this story .... Go cheap and you get what you pay for.

Anybody interested in buying a (factory Rebuilt) Gamin Nuvi 50 LM? $65.00 with all the brackets and chargers that come with it???

Cruzr Joe

I would be interested in your gps. You can email at: glowie63@gmail.com. or call me at352-988-3421(Larry R. Munson).

Spyder Garage

Update the GPS has been sold

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cruzr Joe

Update .... GPS Sold ......
    I use a Garmin Nuvi 40 in an Arkon gps case. The case is mounted on the SRT cupholder accessory bar which keep the gps close enough to view in sunlight. If I had an expensive gps I would have to take it off the bike when parking , which isn't convenient.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    I use a Garmin Nuvi 40 in an Arkon gps case. The case is mounted on the SRT cupholder accessory bar which keep the gps close enough to view in sunlight. If I had an expensive gps I would have to take it off the bike when parking , which isn't convenient.
    I think part of the reason I'm having a hard time viewing my gps in the sunlight may be due to the Arkon. That's not a smooth surface that you view through; it's actually kind of wavy, which creates my problem when the sun hits it. Like I said in a previous post, I have a 4 sided sunshade on the gps, which doesn't appear to help much. I think I'll take it out of the Arkon when it's not raining and see if I can have a better view of the gps screen in sunlight.