Spyder Garage

Default What IF..........

My wife and I were talking and she asked me, if on our (2011) RT Limited, we were going say 65 MPH down the road and something suddenly happened to where I needed to hit the Engine Kill switch......What would happen? The Engine would stop, but would the clutch drop, as it would no longer be "driven" by the motor, or would it stay engaged until the vehicle slowed down to about 10 mph and then the vehicle would free wheel....and would the other "safety" items still work (anti-lock brakes), the Nanny, and stearing assist,.....if the Key was still on, but the "Kill Switch" activated ?

And NO.....I did not want to try it to see......just thought someone might have HAD to do this one time or another and wondered what this would affect..
    I was not sure of the answer, and thought I would ask here and get someones opinion at least.

Thanks,
    W.W.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have tried it on my 2011 RT-S SM5. I got up to 40 and hit the kill.
    Like a car turning off the key, it slowed like the engine was dead and in gear. Because I could still shift, I put it in neutral. But had I not, it would have slowed to a stop faster than in neutral but nothing that would freak you out.
    There was nothing unexpected here!

What the SE5 does, I cannot say but I doubt seriously there would be any kind of violent thing you would have to deal with.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by White Wolf View Post
    My wife and I were talking and she asked me, if on our (2011) RT Limited, we were going say 65 MPH down the road and something suddenly happened to where I needed to hit the Engine Kill switch......What would happen? The Engine would stop, but would the clutch drop, as it would no longer be "driven" by the motor, or would it stay engaged until the vehicle slowed down to about 10 mph and then the vehicle would free wheel....and would the other "safety" items still work (anti-lock brakes), the Nanny, and stearing assist,.....if the Key was still on, but the "Kill Switch" activated ?

And NO.....I did not want to try it to see......just thought someone might have HAD to do this one time or another and wondered what this would affect..
    I was not sure of the answer, and thought I would ask here and get someones opinion at least.

Thanks,
    W.W.
    I ran out of gas once. Don't ask! I was doing maybe 60 mph. When the engine ran out of fuel it was engine braking, a lot like letting off the throttle. When the engine rpm gets low enough the clutch disengages at I am guessing maybe 30 mph and then free wheel. The brakes and steering work just fine.

I see no reason you should not try it. Just pick a road with no other traffic on it and give it a try.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I turned the key off and back on when I went into limp mode and it didn't really skip a beat. I had a manual and I don't know how the semi auto would work. But now that I think about it I probably pulled the clutch in. Can't say for sure but I can say that that is something that everyone should try so that you know what will happen. Also make sure that you know where the switch for the emergency flashers is and practice turning that on. When I went up in flames today I made sure to hit the flashers immediately and the kill switch as soon as I was out of the travel lane.

I am pretty cool under fire (haha) maybe because I am analytical but if you tend to panic under fire you really should practice taking emergency procedures. And let's hope that no one else needs to put them into practice (especially the enabled riders)
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Actually, and I think Scotty will echo this, it is a good idea to practice hitting your kill switch just to experience this type of thing.

Chris

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'd be happy to echo this advice. Your owners manual has a number of practice procedures in it. One of them is hitting the kill switch to understand what happens and to be prepared for it. Find a deserted parking lot or stretch of back road, and find the answer for your self. While you are at it, the rest of the parking lot practice procedures are not a bad idea. I do parking lot practice one or more times a year...particularly after a long winter's rest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I do parking lot practice one or more times a year...particularly after a long winter's rest.
    Very sound advice!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the imput.....

Thanks, to all that have replied with advice and comments.
    I will have to do as suggested, and try it when I get a chance just to see for myself. Hope never have to use it, but as many of you said....practice makes the unexpected.....easier.

THANKS
    W.W.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Practice

It is just like pilot traing you practice your emergency techniques in the non emergency environment. Then when you have one it goes smoother. Much smoother. Spyder Anne did it well, thank goodness.

magical member
    Spyder Garage

There have been lots of safety films on this very subject made by Hollywood. From what I've seen, as impending doom assures, quickly jump up with both feet on the seat, backflip of the back and at the top of the arc grab your wife's arms and pull. Then land promptly with steady feet, catching your wife in your arms moments later. Having witty one line remark ready seems to be the norm. Although I have never had to use this type of safety move myself it seems to have worked quite well in these types of films.

harry

back from globe trotting...

Spyder Garage

When I went up in flames today I made sure to hit the flashers immediately < from SpyderAnn01

(this is on the lighter side and not intended to be a SMART*** remark)

Ann, When you put on the flashers......... were they brighter than the FLAMES

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Panic stop

And don't forget to try a simple panic stop, at speed, just to learn what the vehicle will do (ABS, etc.).

I do this with every vehicle I acquire. The Spyder really amazes me with its quick stopping power.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    And don't forget to try a simple panic stop, at speed, just to learn what the vehicle will do (ABS, etc.).

I do this with every vehicle I acquire. The Spyder really amazes me with its quick stopping power.
    This is a good exercise. When you do this, grip the Spyder, tight, with your knees, or you may kiss the windshield. Also, don't lock your arms . . . you need to maintain steering control. The ABS is awesome!
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    This is a good exercise. When you do this, grip the Spyder, tight, with your knees, or you may kiss the windshield. Also, don't lock your arms . . . you need to maintain steering control. The ABS is awesome!
    Does work very well. I had to do it for real on my 09. When the ABS kicks in the brake pedal starts vibrating. Allowed me to steer around the back of the car that pulled out in front of me.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Kill Switch

That is part of the training I just went through at the 3 wheel safety course. They make you drive fairly fast then hit the kill switch so you will know what happens and you will not panic. They put you through every thing that could possibly happens. The toughest was drive 20mph right at the instructor and just before you get to him he would raise his right arm or left arm and you had a split second to swerve which ever arm he lifted and you had to swerve to the right then back to the left without hitting the cones. Really good to know those things.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Was traveling the Interstate at 70 MPH at night, went to adjust the cruise control and hit the kill switch by accident (didn't realize it at the time). Just felt the engine die and without a problem hit the flashers and pulled over to the right side (btw, I was on a bridge at the time this happened) and came to a nice controlled stop. It was then that I realized what I'd done, feeling a little embarrassed I quickly restarted the Spyder and resumed my trip home.
    Last edited by Yfactor; 08-10-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Actually, and I think Scotty will echo this, it is a good idea to practice hitting your kill switch just to experience this type of thing.

Chris
    Excellent advice! You should practice some donuts 'n too.............................just in case you ever do one by accident.