Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: Thermal event

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just heard about this last night and had to wait until this morning to read the thread. Ann, glad you are ok and sorry for the troubles you have had to deal with. You know you have a bunch of people pulling for you and the post by BRP looks promising. I do have to say, I wonder what you will do, is it worth it to try again? Will you go a year back? Will you hop a year forward? What color? With Flames or without? Will you put a Spyder decal on the new one to show you took one down? Will you park it on a grassy knoll and take 3 pictures of it? Will you install and auto eject for all your bags? So many questions, so much to think about.
    Mike
    JCSMOKE

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JUST A THOUGHT

Just throwin this out there ' maybe BRP should consider CERAMIC coated pipes from the factory....Yes it's not cheap , however on the scale BRP would be doing this I think it would be a cost effective solution.....From what I've read about some CERAMIC coatings, they can lower the outside temps quite a bit .....Just a thought.....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

by doing it with all of their bikes; it'd give them a break on the pricing...
    But there's more to this, than just underbody heat...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    by doing it with all of their bikes; it'd give them a break on the pricing...
    But there's more to this, than just underbody heat...
    With the big scoop up front you would think the could route just a little air to the engine area wouldn't you?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Just throwin this out there ' maybe BRP should consider CERAMIC coated pipes from the factory....Yes it's not cheap , however on the scale BRP would be doing this I think it would be a cost effective solution.....From what I've read about some CERAMIC coatings, they can lower the outside temps quite a bit .....Just a thought.....Mike
    For me, the jury is still out on coating / wrapping the pipes. Yes it will lower heat outside the pipe, but it also keeps heat IN the pipes. I wonder what could happen to the life span of the CAT...

Now, wrapping the pipes may afford them the ability to move the CAT further back, and out from the tupperware... maybe in the muffler housing...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shadow0401 View Post
    After reading all the posts about Ann's fire, glad she is fine and kept her wits and was able to
    get the spyder off the road and away from it before it went up in flames.

This is just my thought. Someone said they were going to start carrying a fire extinguisher, that's
    fine. But how effective is an extinguisher going to be on a spyder? It's not a two wheeler where
    everything is exposed and you could knock a fire down. You have an enclosed engine and you are not going to get to the source of the fire without removing tupperware.

One solution would be to have an on board fire suppressant system like they have in race cars,
    but then that would add $$$$ to the cost of the spyder

Again, glad Ann is fine and I hope BRP resolves the problem.
    I agree that a fire extinguisher probably wouldn't have done much good as the fire was under the tupperware so I don't think I could have hit the source of the fire with an extinguisher. And that would create another dilemma, do you try to extinguish the fire or do you try to get your stuff out before it is engulfed? Insurance doesn't cover personal property on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    Just heard about this last night and had to wait until this morning to read the thread. Ann, glad you are ok and sorry for the troubles you have had to deal with. You know you have a bunch of people pulling for you and the post by BRP looks promising. I do have to say, I wonder what you will do, is it worth it to try again? Will you go a year back? Will you hop a year forward? What color? With Flames or without? Will you put a Spyder decal on the new one to show you took one down? Will you park it on a grassy knoll and take 3 pictures of it? Will you install and auto eject for all your bags? So many questions, so much to think about.
    Mike
    JCSMOKE
    Time will tell. I will definitely get another Spyder and I'm leaning toward a 2014 as 2013 wasn't so good for me. The yellow has really grown on me and I would probably go with that again. A definite no to the flames, they're not my thing. I like the decal idea that would be like DocDoru and his 3 engines with the X through them.

An auto eject for the bags would have been sweet. Especially since I wasn't able to get everything out of it and insurance won't cover what I lost. But then you would have the question of do you eject the rear bags upward or sideways? Sideways could have taken out a passerby as they were slowly going past me while taking a video of the fire.

I did bring home a piece of the carcass and I may mount it and hang it on a wall and/or take the little piece off of it and have it made into a necklace. Thanks L for that idea.
    Spyder melted blob.jpg
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post

I did bring home a piece of the carcass and I may mount it and hang it on a wall and/or take the little piece off of it and have it made into a necklace. Thanks L for that idea.
    Spyder melted blob.jpg
    Is that Aluminium? I guess that did get a bit warm....

Instead of a fire extinguisher, I think we'll carry marshmallows, Graham crackers, and Hershey bars....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone tried the Veritas upper and/or lower scoops to see if the help with the heat removal?.. looks like an expensive set of panels + paint. But if they remedy the situation they might be worth it...

Saw the upper ones on Tricleds page...
    Last edited by jwulf74; 08-09-2013 at 01:48 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    With the big scoop up front you would think the could route just a little air to the engine area wouldn't you?
    I do believe that the 2014s were sporting some intake points along the leading edge of the frunkwork...

I agree that a fire extinguisher probably wouldn't have done much good as the fire was under the tupperware so I don't think I could have hit the source of the fire with an extinguisher. And that would create another dilemma, do you try to extinguish the fire or do you try to get your stuff out before it is engulfed? Insurance doesn't cover personal property on the bike.
    Anne,
    Your Homeowners policy might...

Time will tell. I will definitely get another Spyder and I'm leaning toward a 2014 as 2013 wasn't so good for me. The yellow has really grown on me and I would probably go with that again. A definite no to the flames, they're not my thing. I like the decal idea that would be like DocDoru and his 3 engines with the X through them.

Spyder melted blob.jpg
    You could probably auction that lump of "tin" amongst your friends in here to raise money for a good cause...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think the reason some folks have mentioned having a fire extinguisher is in case it's needed for the person/people on the Spyder, not for the actual bike.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with the extinguisher probably not working on a gas fire inside the Tupperware.

This video shows a guy unloading a good sized chem fire extinguisher on the burning spyder and it basically did nothing!

I am not saying not to carry one but it clearly cant get inside. Then later in the vid you see the gas tank vent the fuel and resulting shooting flame. Not sure I would want to be trying to put the thing out with an extinguisher when that happens. I would also imagine the tupperware when burning is like napalm? I sure would not want to get burning plastic thrown on me.

My stance is let it burn and keep yourself safe!

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 08-09-2013 at 02:43 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Shelbydave and shadow

My post above said. "I'm not so sure it'd do any good in your case...........

Don't you think I'm at least smart enough to know the ext won't help in her case?

I erased the rest of my comment. I must be having a bad hair day and didn't realise it until I reread my snotty response.

Have a good day and hope you don't need a fire ext for any reason.

Tuck

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It appears that the recent issues with "excessive heat". is getting many folks a bit hot under the collar...

Spyder Garage

Spyder melted blob.jpg
    Love the jewelry idea! Been there, done that, got the necklace.

It appears that the recent issues with "excessive heat". is getting many folks a bit hot under the collar...
    Nah, Just talking about bling here...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Super Senior Member
    Spyder Garage

Default jharpo :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jharpo View Post
    Im really sorry this happened to Ann. It SHOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. This is not the second 2013 RT to go up in flames. This is the third one I have read about. One happened over 6 months ago. It was not as badly burned because a fire extinguisher was close at hand.however all the Tupperware was melted, the seat burned to a crisp. The bike was a total loss. After numerous letters to BRP the owner finally received a call. BRP was not interested in investigating the intact carcass and the owner was told to take care of it with her insurance. After six months of frustration, the owner finally gave up trying to talk to BRP. Possibly, if BRP had inspected that bike, Ann would not be in the position she is now.

I was hoping somebody would respond to this concerning the 3rd spyder & how the TV stations & newspapers was not interested in her story ++ no attorney would take her case cause she had not been injured>>>Thanks Jharpo

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    Is that Aluminium? I guess that did get a bit warm....

Instead of a fire extinguisher, I think we'll carry marshmallows, Graham crackers, and Hershey bars....
    I have seen many times where Aluminum wheels melt in auto fires.

J. D.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSpyder View Post
    I have seen many times where Aluminum wheels melt in auto fires.

J. D.

Yep, like most of the time

Spyder Garage

We have been out of town with limited internet access. This is the first time I have been on the site and we are very happy she is ok. Like many have said we hope insurance and BRP take care of her.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Flash Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Can someone tell me why the picture in the middle does not appear to have been taken at the same location as the two on each side of it. Notice the line of electric poles in the left picture, and none in the middle one? Also, the roadway markings are the same in the two pictures showing the wet spot and what is left, but the center photo does not have any broken white lines as the other two have. The lanes and concrete dividers do not appear to be the same. I think maybe who ever posted these three pictures may have made a mistake and placed the one in the middle in error. I think it was a different event. (just saying)
    Come on, give me a break. I was NOT accusing anyone of anything. I am a new owner, and I was just asking a question. Obviously, it is not real popular to do anything like that. Sorry if I offended anyone. It certainly was not my intent. My Bad!! OK?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Come on, give me a break. I was NOT accusing anyone of anything. I am a new owner, and I was just asking a question. Obviously, it is not real popular to do anything like that. Sorry if I offended anyone. It certainly was not my intent. My Bad!! OK?
    Apology accepted.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default expensive jewelry

An auto eject for the bags would have been sweet. Especially since I wasn't able to get everything out of it and insurance won't cover what I lost. But then you would have the question of do you eject the rear bags upward or sideways? Sideways could have taken out a passerby as they were slowly going past me while taking a video of the fire.

Spyder melted blob.jpg
    that's a pricey ornament but we're just glad you're ok! I've got Dairlyland but should customers be subsidizing BRPs R&D?
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Apology and Explanation

Flash .... I could see you were new to SpyderLovers and that is why I tempered my response with an explanation. Hopefully the indication of picture angle answered your question. Like SpyderAnn01, I also accept your apology.

Don't be too hard on SpyderLovers for jumping on your case ... as you can see we are a passionate bunch that care deeply about each other and our Spyders! Once you get to know us, and post some more, I think you will find this board contains a wealth of information and serves to enhance the ryde of many members.

Best Regards ... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anne,
    I think that my response to your statement about coverage for your personal belongings got buried in my clumsy attempts in here...
    Check with your Homeowner's carrier; coverage may lie with them...
    Cause of loss: FIRE
    I don't know of too many homeowners policies that exclude fire coverage...
    Good Luck!

Spyder Garage

The contents of my Spyder's luggage are covered for fire & theft by my household policy
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anne,
    I think that my response to your statement about coverage for your personal belongings got buried in my clumsy attempts in here...
    Check with your Homeowner's carrier; coverage may lie with them...
    Cause of loss: FIRE
    I don't know of too many homeowners policies that exclude fire coverage...
    Good Luck!
    Bob, I'm sure our homeowners would cover it but we have a $1000 deductible. We were having this discussion on Girls on Spyders and one of the ladies who has the same insurance as me called her agent as she had over $3000 in farkles on her Spyder and she was able to up the limit to $6000 which also got her $2000 in personal property coverage.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622