Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Even the cool ones; like Dudley's?? Dudley.jpg
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 07-10-2013 at 07:33 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

What not to say to a cop? My personal story, from decades ago, on the Western Kentucky parkway, headed back to Fort Campbell late Sunday/early Monday from a weekend pass. Had just bought a radar detector since I was making weekend jaunts back to Michigan fairly regularly now that I was stateside, and was letting the turbo on my SVO mustang feel its oats. Topping a hill, the detector went nuts, and I hit the brakes hard, watching the lights flash on at the bottom of the hill. Officer walks up, and says "I guess the Turbo isn't just a sticker on the side of the car, huh? Good brakes too. Do you know how fast you were going?" My reply......."No I don't officer, the speedometer only goes up to 85". Fortunately, the officer had a sense of humor, informed me that I was doing 108, ticketed me for 10 over, and told me to keep it under 80 and I wouldn't have any other problems on the way to the Fort. He told me he likely would have let a me go but if I could afford a radar detector I could afford a ticket.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All things considered; a pretty reasonable solution to it; right?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    All things considered; a pretty reasonable solution to it; right?
    When one is running like the wind to make it back in time for PT, has out of state plates, and is caught doing nearly 40 over, you are not in a position to argue. I wasn't complaining a bit.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dochands View Post
    Boo hoo cops. Community relations are important.

The problem is we've all lost sight of what's important.

This poor guy just made a little joke.
    Maybe so, and sometimes I get a little mad when I see or hear of an LEO doing something questionable, but conder the fact that when something really bad happens, like a DUI fatality, these guys are the ones who wind up having to be the first to see what's left of the victims, and then having to tell the victim's next of kin.... I think that would put a dent in someone's sense of humor when they have to witness the bloody aftermath of someone's stupidity. I don't envy the cops a bit on ordeal.

Spyder Garage

Good cop - Bad cop Once you put a uniform on you put a target on your back
    Lets give them all credit for risking their lives to make us safe

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sometimes you just have to grab your tongue with both hands, and hang on for dear life!
    I have tried but the damn thing just gets loose and wags away.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    The problem is that it was not a joke, it was playing on a stereotype at the officers expense ""The two cops walked in behind me and I smiled and said "I have heard of a Big Mac Attack, but lights and siren for donuts and coffee!"" It would be no different if I made the following (not really a) joke about Doctors. " I've heard about big spenders but two summer houses, a Country Club membership and a Rolls Royce!" Now I know that Doctors work hard my Son and Daughter in law are Physicians. But a joke that plays on a Stereotype, whether its that Cops eat a lot of Donuts, waste time and take advantage of their position or that it's that Doctors charge way too much works way to little and spend exorbitant amounts of disposable income is just wrong. I also doubt that you would say that to any Doctor that you just bumped into on the street.
    Agreed.
    If I may add an additional possibility. If the units were in a location where they had to cross a double yellow to return to the flow of traffic, the lights may have been activated. The story lends to the idea the officers rolled code to a doughnut shop. I call BS.

The reality is 99% of the LE community doesn't eat doughnuts... But the idiot tube keeps pushing the idea, and the clueless masses run with it.

Perhaps some of those critical thinkers out there can go to Iraq or another hell hole and then jump into law enforcement or corrections, instead of throwing opinions out they have no clue about?

NAAAAAW. Far easier to sit in that leather chair or AC office and have a regular schedule, than to be gassed, run over, shot, or ridiculed by our public.

Wonder who the tough guys will call when gangsters plow into the front door at 0200 guns drawn?

Oh I forgot... They can handle it

Spyder Garage

I don't think anyone can say for sure about why they had their lights on, and why they sped away, and then ended up at the donut shop.

Here's my opinion, which is worth about as much as anything else that's been posted:

Everyone is equal (no one is on a pedestal)

Whatever your chosen profession, you chose it (good or bad, safe or unsafe)

Most profession's have their own stereotypical remarks

I think most have made off-handed comments (at least once in their life) as they relate to different professions

This all equals- Get a grip, if you think the OP had any other intent than humor.

Spyder Garage

Same old posters. Different day. As much as I enjoy being quoted again and again I'll say it again: It was just a little joke. Protect and serve means more than the testosterone laden verbiage this post has engendered. If his joke was stereotyping some of your posts are reinforcing those exact same stereotypes and worse.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So who wants some ice cream??

Spyder Garage

So who wants some ice cream??
    How about a donut with ice cream filling?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well that's just about the best of Both Worlds!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I LIKE BLUE BUNNY ICE CREAM, ESPECIALLY BUNNY TRACKS.

Oppps didn't mean to shout.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    I LIKE BLUE BUNNY ICE CREAM, ESPECIALLY BUNNY TRACKS.

Oppps didn't mean to shout.
    Coldstone's "cookie dough'nt ya want some" in a chocolate dipped waffle bowl.....mm mmm good.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This may be a little riskeeeee, but why not pose this scenario

A guy speeding over a bridge, late for work, gets stopped by a cop standing on the bridge operating radar.

After being stopped the cop asks the man what his profession is and he replied "A professional ******* stretcher."

The cop, being curious, asks "Exactly what does a professional ******* stretcher do?"

The driver explains that he starts with a small ******* and continues to stretch it until its six feet tall.

The cop asks the driver "What do you do with a six foot *******."

The driver responds "Apparently give him a radar and stand him on a bridge."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yup! Risque; but funny!

Spyder Garage

And I thought the driver's response was going to be that's how he carries his donuts.

Spyder Garage

Which leads to the question of the hour - what the hell is a cronut?
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Now doesn't THAT punchine have to do with who the most popular guy in the Nudist camp is?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ga Blue Knight View Post
    Did you ever stop to think why it is that cops eat donuts, cheap hamburgers and other junk food? For starters no real lunch break where you get to go out to a nice restraunt. If you are in uniform it's like you are made of honey and all of the wanna be nuts in the world come up to you and ask silly technical questions about law enforcement. Also your paycheck is somewhat stressed and is not conducive to "healthy food" but is right in line with the 99cent special at the house of hamburger helper. There are also many times when you do sit down to a decent meal you get a call to respond and you are the only unit within miles. So you leave your paid for lunch and off you go to have the dispatcher call you off three mile from you lunch. So most LEO's like portable unhealthy foods like donuts, candy bars etc. Now after forty two years as a cop, I have type two diabetes, missing a kidney, high blood pressure and bad arthritis in my hands and feet. Not complaining mind you just trying to provide some insight to your humor.
    42 years as a cop, how on earth did you do it for so long. I am in my 23rd year, and we get to retire at 25 years, my plan is to go at 28 years. I started at 19. If I did 42 years, I would be leaving at 61. And in around year 30, they would be carrying me out in one of those white jackets and bringing me to a rubber room.

Hey listen guys/gals, great post lots of funny replies. My first response was to want to take the cops side in the story, my second response was " hey, I know for a fact there are a a few "A" holes on the job, but they are the extreme minority". All in all I have a great sense of humor about posts like this.

FYI donut eating, fast food cops are pretty much unheard of these days. Lots of guys packing lunches and eating regularly and good throughout the day between calls or going home for a bite to eat, using their lunch breaks to go to the gym. Lots of PD's have personal trainers and fitness programs.

If you ever see me in a donut shop it's because it is the only place open, or the coffee is good. I rarely book out at a diner, because like Blue Knights says, all the nut bars are attracted to us. And, after dealing with "S" storms all day long...I just want to have a decent meal in peace. Do I get wise cracks, oh ya. So what...the majority of people don't mean anything by it and are just trying to have fun with us. The ones that mean it, who cares. They don't get it, and my survival is not dependent on whether they do or not.

There are lots of good well intentioned people in the world and that's how I choose to live my life on the job. If your not one of them, you better be well equipped if you come across me. Losing has never been an option.

FYI, I would love to be able to eat donuts everyday...my wife wont let me.

Cheers everybody, end of shift time to go home, its my turn to cook tonight. Son is at an elite hockey camp for the week. Looking forward to getting on the Spyder driving 80 km one way to see him play. Be safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for protecting us; from ourselves...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default You are correct

Quote Originally Posted by bunchabull View Post
    Of course we'll all jump to the wrong conclusion. Like its not possible they were initially assigned an emergency call and then taken off of it a short time later because other units that were nearby freed up and took the call, or they were cancelled for some other reason. Unless of course they came screaming into the parking lot with lights and siren and jumped out with guns drawn. If that happened, or even if it didn't and I thought the worst like a robbery, I would not be walking into the business like business as usual. I would be turning around and finding another place.
    I am not Rambo. The cops turned lights and siren off b4 turning into the Dunk. Also they parked in parking spaces, so I realized that there was no emergency there, and You are correct they may have had a call cancelled.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Just a thought..

I have not, but have you heard of a Dunkin Donut being robbed???

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    Just a thought..

I have not, but have you heard of a Dunkin Donut being robbed???

Sure. In fact, we just had a double homocide at one close to the station (everyone on calls far away) They are up early, so easy pickings for the thugs.
    Last year Mr. T's got held up, owner pursued, got shot in the chest, round hit his wallet (Who the hell keeps a wallet in a front pocket..lol)He returned fire and peppered the car.

Another key issue is bathrooms. You can't go the bathroom in a patrol car. The average person in a high heat environment drinks alot of water. It has to go somewhere...

Years ago the paperwork was on paper, not on a CAD/MDT. Any flat surface is nice when your writing reports your Sgt. reviews. Calls used to be light in the early AM, allowing coffee and a report. Not anymore. It's a freakin war zone. You run to the station in the last hour because your 5 reports behind due to stacked calls....not fun
    Last edited by Tierhog; 07-11-2013 at 09:40 AM.