Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default XM Radio Antenna

My XM radio was installed by the dealer, with the antenna just under the top of the rear trunk lid. As we know the satellite is in the south and works fine when going north, etc. When I head south, it cuts out off and on. I was wondering if anyone has relocated the antenna or installed an external antenna as it is on my OEM truck installation....like on top of the trunk lid or ??...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have a portable XM (Pioneer Inno) wired into my RT, and I have the antenna mounted on the trunk lid. I had it inside, under the trunk lid, at first, but had the same experience you're having. Now, I have consistent performance except for external factors, like hills. When I ride two up, there's more interference, but I can't convince my wife to mount it on her helmet...

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brevet05 View Post
    I have a portable XM (Pioneer Inno) wired into my RT, and I have the antenna mounted on the trunk lid. I had it inside, under the trunk lid, at first, but had the same experience you're having. Now, I have consistent performance except for external factors, like hills. When I ride two up, there's more interference, but I can't convince my wife to mount it on her helmet...
    LOL, thanks for putting a smile on my face. I've from time to time had the same problem like George and you. I too would like a solution to this. I'll seriously consider the Pioneer option, but wouldn't dare opt for the wife solution.

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe you need a shorter Wife?? Seriously; Can you mount the XM antenna where the CB antenna would go?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have an xm-snap radio that I switch between the and my van. I mounted the antenna on the top of the trunk. Since it is a magnetic mount antenna I utilized velcro to attatch it to the trunk, that way I can put it in the trunk when not in use.

Be Safe
    AC

Spyder Garage

I know Big Red has the CB antenna, but I don't so that's where I plan to mount my XM antenna . Will post later, its got to work better because its useless under the lid .
    Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My truck has one of those "thru the glass" antennas on the rear window (OEM installed) and it works great. I could probably adapt one on the trunk lid, but not sure "thru the fiberglass" would work like the rear glass window. I know some autos have them mounted on the roof of the car...metal roof...not sure if that is a requirement.... I have a CB which is working fine after I fooled with it a while.

Spyder Garage

I have XM and I do not have any problems with it and it is installed under the trunk lid. Maybe I got lucky and I have a 2011 Limited RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Maybe you need a shorter Wife?? Seriously; Can you mount the XM antenna where the CB antenna would go?
    Since my wife is six feet tall (I'm 6'6", so it's a nice fit), I'm going to have to work with that constraint.

You could mount it easily where the CB antenna would go, but I don't think there'd be much improvement, as that shelf is angled, lower than the trunk lid, and would therefore put even more plastic between the antenna and the satellite when you travel in the eastern arc. I have the same mounting technique as AC (velcro) and it's worked well, keeping it in place when the lid's up. You don't have to velcro it if you don't want to, as the wire is crimped mildly by the trunk lid, so it's not going anywhere, but it falls onto the seat top when the lid's open.

Now, if some electronic whiz would figure out how to attenuate the necessary receiving bits to allow for a typical aerial, then a CB side mount would be amazing. I also guess that if the music moves you enough, you could slide a rod into that hole and mount the antenna as high as was desired atop the rod. There's nothing under the plug when the CB antenna isn't part of the OEM setup.

Spyder Garage

I am going to run the Garmin 665 which has the GXM 40 remote antenna with weather. I am a cheapskate who transfers the whole thing to my truck rather than have two weather subscriptions! This will replace the Garmin 478 GPSmap I ran on my RTS. On the RTS the antenna was velcroed to the top of the dash. I have not figured out how I am going to make the new setup removable. Probably acquire another cable and run to the frunk.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jester View Post
    I am going to run the Garmin 665 which has the GXM 40 remote antenna with weather. I am a cheapskate who transfers the whole thing to my truck rather than have two weather subscriptions! This will replace the Garmin 478 GPSmap I ran on my RTS. On the RTS the antenna was velcroed to the top of the dash. I have not figured out how I am going to make the new setup removable. Probably acquire another cable and run to the frunk.
    The RT-S has National Weather Service as one of the radio modes already. I saw one of the GPS/XM combinations at Spyderfest. If my GPS or XM Radio ever die, that's on my wish list, but probably not in my toy budget.

Spyder Garage

George,
    I just talked to another Rt rider that was having the same problem and he moved the antenna to the inside top of the mirror, he said it fit perfect.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobbobtar View Post
    George,
    I just talked to another Rt rider that was having the same problem and he moved the antenna to the inside top of the mirror, he said it fit perfect.
    That is interesting. If you see him, ask him to email me how he did it, etc. I am at scoot62@aol.com.

I am wondering about enough coax cable to reach, etc. Thanks for the info.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Brevet05;332378]Since my wife is six feet tall (I'm 6'6", so it's a nice fit), I'm going to have to work with that constraint.[QUOTE]

For once I've got absolutely nothing to say...
    5'10" and the Boss is 5'1"
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default XM vs Pandora?

I know this is an old thread but I figure I'll put my 2¢ in anyway.
    I've been thinking about getting XM on my 2013 Spyder RT. I'm too frugal (cheap) to get the BRP setup so I would just put the radio in the rear trunk plugged into AUX. In the mean time I've been using an ipod & more recently started to pull up Pandora on my phone & plugging that into the AUX. Works fine as long as I have data reception.
    With the problems folks seem to have with XM reception maybe I should just stick with that setup.

Anyway, my question was about closing the trunk lid on the antenna cable. Does that allow water in when it rains? Any long term problems with the lid gasket?

Thanx

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I stuck my Sirius portable in the trunk and use the AUX cable to listen (can't control channels ) I stuck the antenna behind the passenger backrest, on top of the fiberglass (which is under my Inspector Gadget rack). The only time I lose signals is on a tight, mountain road. I have not had problems with rain or interference from my wife ...

Spyder Garage

Default Sirrus/XM antenna

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I stuck my Sirius portable in the trunk and use the AUX cable to listen (can't control channels ) I stuck the antenna behind the passenger backrest, on top of the fiberglass (which is under my Inspector Gadget rack). The only time I lose signals is on a tight, mountain road. I have not had problems with rain or interference from my wife ...
    I did the very same thing. used 3M double stick. Since I ryde 1 up it works fine everywhere. No problems.

Spyder Garage

Default XM Radio Antenna

Quote Originally Posted by captblack View Post
    I too have the same set up (the only channel change is at gas or pit stops) but as far as the antenna setup,(since the XM antenna is a mag mount) I got a hold of a magnet; the kind you might see advertised in biker mags/shops that are sold to effect traffic control sensors -really strong, and small- I place the mag on the underneath side near the outer edge of the trunk, outside the gasket and the antenna sticks wherever you place it. The reception is okay. I place my antenna on the right upper side of the trunk. My main concern is the potential damage to to the antenna wire getting pinched, bent, and or busted when the lid closes on the wire