Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Where to put the puppy?

Hello all. I've been enjoying reading this forum, but this is my first post. I picked up my RT today, and I love it!

We have a little dog, Daisy. She would love to ride with my girlfriend and I. Does anyone have a good solution for this? I'm thinking that we probably need to install a luggage rack above the trunk and get a dog carrier. Anyone tried this? Any suggestions for a dog carrier? Thanks!

here is a picture of Daisy. She is part Yorkie, part Maltise (a Morkie). She will grow to be about 7 lbs.
    image.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyvermont View Post
    Hello all. I've been enjoying reading this forum, but this is my first post. I picked up my RT today, and I love it!

We have a little dog, Daisy. She would love to ride with my girlfriend and I. Does anyone have a good solution for this? I'm thinking that we probably need to install a luggage rack above the trunk and get a dog carrier. Anyone tried this? Any suggestions for a dog carrier? Thanks!

here is a picture of Daisy. She is part Yorkie, part Maltise (a Morkie). She will grow to be about 7 lbs.
    image.jpg
    Drop a line to Dave & Teddy on this site----check out his "adventures" from Cincy----he I am sure, can give you a lot of information along with safety etc., on this subject.
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

to the roadster world and the answer shop (SL). She's a pocket dog, put her in your pocket..!!
    the rack and carrier works if you ryde double up, have seen a few of them... If solo in the back seat..check the sponsors on the home page for racks. Google dog carriers for motorcycles may get some other ideas there..!! good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome and what a cute little dog you have. My dogs have heads bigger than your so they don't get to ride on my Spyder. You could try searching on dog carriers here and you should come up with a variety of ways to transport her. I know some that carry them in a harness that is strapped to them and there are several different carriers for the back trunk. Good luck and be sure to post some pictures of her riding. Don't forget to buy her some doggles too
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool

The last RT i saw had a replacement rear trunk cover that was cut out and lined to allow the pup to sit in the trunk and be straped in it was such a good idea when puppy wasent riding he changed the trunk lid.maybe you could find one on e bay used and make a nice opening for your pup to look out and enjoy the ride.
    Mike

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Cool Teddy & I would like to say Congrats on the New Ryde & Welcome to the SpyderHood~Dave

I don't have time to get into all the details and suggestions right now, but once I get home from work today, I'll either post here or send you a PM.

Here's a few links to threads that you may find helpful & useful. This site is the best when it comes to just about anything & everything Spyder Related, so Welcome to the SpyderHood

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...dventures-2013

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...n-your-machine

There are many ways to go about ryding with your pet, and in the following link, I explain how Teddy & I go about it & what works best for us. Ryding 2 up with your pet creates a few more obstacles to overcome, but it can readily, and most importantly, SAFELY be done. I'll get into all that in another post or PM
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...s-how-we-do-it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have a couple of small dogs, toy schnauzers, that we have talked about taking with us. On the way to Maggie Valley, when the temps rose into the nineties, we decided the dogs would not fare well in that heat. We were looking at a pet trailer that had some storage as well.
    What say you regarding the pets and heat on the road.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    What say you regarding the pets and heat on the road.
    Dogs, just like us can get used to the heat. If they already spend a lot of time outside in the hot weather, then riding shouldn't bother them. If they spend all day in an air conditioned house, that may be a different story, and need further consideration... frequent stops for water, etc...

We have some friends with Shelties who love the outdoors, regardless of the temps. It can be so hot I sweat just looking out the window, and those dogs want out.

It's all in what climate they are used to. Indoors temp controlled all the time - may be hard, but not impossible. If they like outdoors as much as indoors, then I think it would be fairly easy.

Even in a nice air conditioned car, the first thing they want to do is stick their head out the window...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A Decent Ride 004.jpgTinks ride 003.jpg
    Here's how we carry "TinkerBell" It's a pouch made by Outward Hound...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We have 2 Dacshunds that we have recently decideded to take on some of our travels since their big (lab mix) sister died a few months back... we were planning to buy a trailer for her, but then she got sick... anyway...

The way we have it set up is that each one of us carries one of the dogs. We each have a carrier: Kuryakyn Pet Palace and a T-Bags pet carrier. Although the Kuryakin fits well on both s, I had to get the T-Bags because I have a Utopia back rest on my RT and the T-bags makes the best fit with the backrest, plus with the T-bag it has a wraparound system that goes into the backrest for added support. Each carrier has at least 2 points to strap the dog in, and the dog wears a body harness.

When it comes to the ride, we make sure that the dog is strapped in the inside points (we use 2 of them). They love being outside, so we open the small opening on the top (it also has a mesh cover) and let them feel the breeze in their ears. But we only do this while on small roads or no fast rides. In the interstate we keep them inside at all times.

Like stated above, dogs are like us when it comes to hydration. But they don't perspire like we do. So the best thing to do is to pull over every certain amount of time and hydrate, not only your dog but yourselfs as well.

It is a very fun experience. We love taking our doggies with us. Here is my wife with Oscar when we were in the Dragon a few weeks back:
    996717_10151759606558140_850186202_n.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank you

Thank you for all your input. I see lots of great solutions for using the backseat, but my girlfriend and I always travel together. I think the best solution is either some sort of harness that my girlfriend can wear keeping the puppy between us, or getting a luggage rack and securing a bag there.

Until then, here is Daisy waiting for her first ride....

IMG_9862.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyvermont View Post
    Until then, here is Daisy waiting for her first ride....

IMG_9862.jpg
    Keep her hydrated . . . frequent drink breaks . . . a little thing like that can dry out, quickly, with the air blowing over her at 65MPH.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

our pups are 16 years old and 4 years old , yorkies.. we have taken the young on for 20 miles or more,just getting use to doing it with him ,, the old one only goes around town. outward bound carrier and Doggles. the doggles are important. 2013-05-31 15.36.46.jpg

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Keep her hydrated . . . frequent drink breaks . . . a little thing like that can dry out, quickly, with the air blowing over her at 65MPH.
    Great advice! Will do!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I met a woman at the Wheels of Time museum during the owners event and she had created a 'doggy basket' on the passenger seat using shoe sole leather

I took some pictures and am trying to buy some leather to do the same thing:

IMG_3455.jpgIMG_3457.jpgIMG_3459.jpgpennyrider.jpg

and then have your pup inn a harness with a 2 or 3 point restraint

read Dave & Teddy's post as he has the most experience

as you can see, my Penny is slightly larger than Teddy,,,,,,
    Last edited by lookerjdc; 07-03-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We use the "Outward Hound" pouch...
    Available in Petco...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black