Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that my OCD gets worked up over this also...
    I hate to go screaming down through Town in first... (30mph), so I'll gear up to 3rd and "loaf" along at 4,000 rpm, and about 37 or 38 mph...
    waiting for the lights in the mirrors...
    Another nearby Town has a 40 mph limit...
    So I run in 4th at about 46 mph; keeping a close lookout for lights and sirens!
    Maybe they need to gear these babies down so that we can REALLY gripe about the need for a sixth forward gear!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default SE5 Transmission question

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Maybe they need to gear these babies down so that we can REALLY gripe about the need for a sixth forward gear!
    That would definitely help the Spyder stay in its comfort zone and keep us legal. The speed limit always does seem over or under the sweet spot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

My KTM came without a gear indicator. Know why? It's all about operating it in the proper RPM range. Perhaps BRP should lose the gear indicator. People seem to be obsessed about what gear they are in instead of operating in the ROTAX's engineered RPM range.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    My KTM came without a gear indicator. Know why? It's all about operating it in the proper RPM range. Perhaps BRP should lose the gear indicator. People seem to be obsessed about what gear they are in instead of operating in the ROTAX's engineered RPM range.
    So a final clarification of this:

Keep the motor RPM's between 4500-5500 all the time, and fiddle with the shifting until you are there under the speed limit :-)

Correct... or speed limit be darned? ;-)

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    So a final clarification of this:

Keep the motor RPM's between 4500-5500 all the time, and fiddle with the shifting until you are there under the speed limit :-)

Correct... or speed limit be darned? ;-)
    Gear 1,2,3,4 > above 4K to around 6K

Gear 5 > 5200 RPM and up. And UP means if you're loaded and pulling a grade or bumping a head wind and you feel the engine struggling, vibrating, drop it down a gear. Keep it below 6K and carry on.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    Not trying to hijack the thread, but:
    I read the thread about shifting.
    Just curious who is following the shifting at 5000rpm philosophy?

Also where are you down shifting?
    I seem to downshift higher and use the engine to slow. Don't know if its hard on the tranny or not though...
    As you can see, there are a lot of helpful hints about the shifting rpm's and protocols. Personally, I have went to the darker side and shift between 5000 and 6000 depending. I also like to manually downshift. Most gears I downshift at 4500. 2nd to 1st, I shift at about 3500.

For me, I don't like the clunk when shifting up or down. The ranges I mentioned work for me and most shifts are seamless.

Bottom Line: I recommend doing the shifts at 4000 or better, and then find that sweet spot that works best for you.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Wow! I can't believe how many interpretations of this have come of this hijacked topic. Forget about when to shift, what is important is after you shift. The Spyder SE clutch isn't fully engaged until 3,200 rpm +/- 200 rpm. After you shift your rpm should not be lower than that if you are on the throttle. Higher rpm would actually be adviseable...you don't want to cut it too close.

My advice...when you are going down the road, try to remain at 4K or above. If you are cruising easy, on flat ground, at low throttle settings you may even get by with slightly less, but under no circumstance should an SE be operated below 3,500 rpm unless you want to risk clutch wear and eventual damage. You won't hurt this thing by keeping the rpm up, and you won't get better mileage by keeping it very low. The engine and clutch need to stay happy. They last longer and perform better if they are.

Spyder Garage

I just let the spyder downshift by itself like the designers intended it to do when coming to a stop with the throttle off.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    My advice...when you are going down the road, try to remain at 4K or above. If you are cruising easy, on flat ground, at low throttle settings you may even get by with slightly less, but under no circumstance should an SE be operated below 3,500 rpm unless you want to risk clutch wear and eventual damage. You won't hurt this thing by keeping the rpm up, and you won't get better mileage by keeping it very low. The engine and clutch need to stay happy. They last longer and perform better if they are.
    Here! Here!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I keep mine in trailer mode all the time, it requires you to shift at 4500 rpms or higher and it downshifts automatically at 3500 rpms

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Spyder View Post
    I keep mine in trailer mode all the time, it requires you to shift at 4500 rpms or higher and it downshifts automatically at 3500 rpms
    Interesting idea....

Spyder Garage

In my opinion the auto downshifting is just meant to be a backup. I think BRP fully intended for the Spyder to be electricall shifted by the rider, both up and down. If the rider fails to do so, however, the engine could stall if the rpm dropped too low, so there was a need for a backup. If they had wanted it to shift automatically, at the optimum shift points, they would have made it shift automatically in both directions. The ide of an electric shift is to make it easier to shift and to eliminate the clutch, not to provide a fully automatic transmission. JMHO
    I agree 100% with this -- you should be shifting up and down, just like you would with a clutch.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow! I can't believe how many interpretations of this have come of this hijacked topic. Forget about when to shift, what is important is after you shift. The Spyder SE clutch isn't fully engaged until 3,200 rpm +/- 200 rpm. After you shift your rpm should not be lower than that if you are on the throttle. Higher rpm would actually be adviseable...you don't want to cut it too close.

Thanks for that Scotty, I was about to try and re-summerize it myself.

One thing to note, and I know this will just add to the confusion of some:

Once above 3200+/-200 rpm (I would just say 3750 for safety buffer) the clutches lock up and won't unlock even if you go below that rpm until you get down to very low speeds in 1st gear to come to a stop.

Good:
    From a stop, accelerate to 5200rpms, shift, watch the rpms drop to a very comfortable 4200rpms and continue to accelerate slowly and smoothly.

Bad:
    From a stop, accelerate to 4000rpms, shift, watch the rpms drop to a clutch destroying 3000rpms, melt away ablative material until your rpms are above 3500 when the clutches finally can grab fully, assuming they're not damaged in which case it'll be 3600, or 3800, or 4200... or... time for a new transmission.

Not recommended but not bad for your clutches:
    Accelerate to 5200rpms, shift, watch rpms drop to 4200... see the guy in front slow down, roll off the throttle and let the rpms drop to 3000... the clutches stay locked and no damage done. You can then, slowly, accelerate back up into the operating range of the Spyder. The problem with this is if you get on the throttle too hard, you lug the Rotax something fierce. More blowby, hard wear on the lower end, damage to ring lands... seriously cuts into the life of the engine.

I verified this with 2 BRP techs and 1 certified BRP technician. They all said the same thing. Keep it above 4000. Just... keep it there. Forget what gear or speed or what your neighbors think, just keep it above 4000... always. No reason to use it below those rpms, it's not designed to spend much time there.