Thread: How Critical

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default How Critical

is that 3000 mile oil change? 2012 RT SE and just reached the 3000 mile mark. NICE WEEK coming up and the only dealer is 60 miles away. I want to ride to work and back but don't want to take a chance on screwing with my warranty. I have heard they changed the mileage for oil changes, any body know?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought after the 600, the next one was at 4,600?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: How Critical

I read 4600 as well..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

the old was 3000 miles the new is 4600 miles but remember you had it changed at 600 miles. So which ever you chose to follow the least would be 3600 miles and 5200 miles. The new oils are good for more and the mileage is a guideline. If you go over some it will be fine. All assuming your using their oils. Other oils have other spec's.. Choices choices...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Senior MOMENTS Member
    Spyder Garage

Default OIL CHANGE

I picked up my Roadster with a little under 2,000 miles on it and it had the 600 mile service done. I put almost 5,000 more miles on it in a little over 2 weeks time. Taking my Roadster with about 7,000 miles on it to Longview Washington state for it over due OIL and service... I got SCOLDED for going over so far even though the miles were mostly freeway miles done in a short time. The service Tech said I should not run over so far again but to keep in mind how many miles and get the oil change regularly when due.

Apparently oil breaks down just as fast with long continuous runs as they would on short day runs. Miles are Miles.....

Granted though very short runs a mile to the store for milk and back then let sit until cold again and again is not good for oil either. Your equipment does not get hot enough to evaporate off the condensation that forms in very short trips.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

The 3,000 mile oil change interval was for the short transmission filter which was stock on 2008-2011 RS and RT models. Some 2012's may have been shipped with the new longer transmission filter. Unless you have the new longer filter you should not run the motor for longer than 3,000 miles befor an oil change. If you have the longer one than 4,600 is your oil change interval. If you are unsure check with your dealer to make sure which one you have. The current oil change kits have a new transmission housing to convert older 2008-2012 models to the new longer housing and filter and ie longer oil change intervals, so if you had an oil change at the dealer recently you may have already had your bike converted. There should not be an extra charge for this as its a BRP factory sponsored upgrade.