Spyder Garage

Default Effective gas capacity

I refilled my gas today after running the tank low. The fuel warning light was on, the gauge needle was just at the "white" portion. I only took 4.75 gallons. This would seem to indicate I still had 1.5 gallons despite readings. How much will it actually pick up?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I pay attention to milage, I know I should get fuel at 160 alone 150 2 up mad 130 with trailer, conservative driving. Much less when having fun

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The tank is rated at 6.5 gallons. However there is only 6 gallons of usable fuel because of head space in the tank. So 6-4.75=1.5 gallons left in the tank. You can run the tank 'dry' as happened to one of our well known SL vendors at Spyderfest. Low fuel lights are not exact on all Spyders. Mine on my 2012 RTS comes on a lot sooner than the one on my wife's 2010 RTS. I've driven 40 miles after the light came on and the most I could put in was 4.9 gallons.
    Last edited by bruiser; 05-30-2013 at 06:50 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default No Straight Annswer

In all the times this subject has come up I have not read a definitive answer. Don't know that anyone has ever run the tank quit running the engine and done a fill up test.

I have run it way done and put in as much as 5.8 gallon one time at 162 miles but that was a long time back and I could be wrong by a few tenths and miles.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

"I've driven 40 miles after the light came on and the most I could put in was 4.9 gallons."

Ditto

Spyder Garage

You will get different replies. My fuel light goes on right around 140 miles after fill up. I usually try to fill up right around 150 miles or so. At 30 mpg most of the time, I end up putting in 5 gallons. My best? I drove 180 miles and put in 5.8 gallons.

I get similar results on both 's. Within a couple 10ths of a gallon when we are out riding.

In some highway situations or on trips, I usually fill every 100 miles or so. It's good to get off the and stretch a little.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Bruiser, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    The tank is rated at 6.5 gallons. However there is only 6 gallons of usable fuel because of head space in the tank. So 6-4.75=1.5 gallons left in the tank. You can run the tank 'dry' as happened to one of our well known SL vendors at Spyderfest. Low fuel lights are not exact on all Spyders. Mine on my 2012 RTS comes on a lot sooner than the one on my wife's 2010 RTS. I've driven 40 miles after the light came on and the most I could put in was 4.9 gallons.
    This is the info I was looking for. I had ridden about 25 miles after the warning light. I have been running non-ethanol but some have now pushed their non-ethanol prices as high as 45-50 cents per gallon higher than the ethanol added I can buy so I may back off.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The 6.0 gallon tank has a usable capacity of 6.0 gallons. The light comes on with about 1.5 gallons left. Yours sounds like it is right on the money. I do suggest using Trip A as an indicator and going by that as soon as you know what kind of average mileage you are getting. Remember, you do not need to run it down to the warning to fill up.

Spyder Garage

Default Gas Gauge confusion

The dial gauge on my '12 RT Limited started going haywire...after unplugging it and the temp gauge, the digital ones seem to be more accurate. With that said, 165 mi at 70-75 ended up with cough, cough, cough, blaaaa out of gas. 150 miles and I fill up. I have noted that the different 'labels' do make a difference. The most I have filled with was 6.1 after cough, cough, cough, blaaaa! Also have gone close to 40 with the light on....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas capacity

2013 Spyder ST-S SE-5 175 Miles / 4.8 gallons =36.45 MPG

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ledford View Post
    In all the times this subject has come up I have not read a definitive answer. Don't know that anyone has ever run the tank quit running the engine and done a fill up test.

I have twice, On purpose 08 Gs, 5.6 and 5.9 gal And that's filling it right to the top.....