Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool New Spyder Owner, am I not a "cool kid"??

I just got a 2012 RSS and love it! It is so fun and my wife loves being on the back with me.

I have been a 2 wheel rider since I rode a scooter with a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine at 5yrs old but had to take 18 years off to be a dad.

One of the cool things I fondly recalled about riding motorcycles was that it felt like you were suddenly part of some secret club or fraternity with other bike riders. I remember at 17 being boggled by all the waves I got from other riders and such but then figuring out that "it's a motorcycle THING" and liked the comradery of it.

So the reason for my topic....
    In the last 18 or so years as the latest generation killed this "Cool Kids Club"? Has the friendly fraternity of all motorcycle drivers faded while I was away?

Or do 2 wheel riders just not think Spyders are motorcycles so we don't get into "the club"?

This thread is of course somewhat tongue in cheek but I have noticed that I get very few waves or nods from other riders, even if I am the one doing the waving, and find myself feeling foolish when the wave or acknowledgement isn't returned. I don't really CARE, this is just more of an observation of curiosity.

Has anyone else noticed this strange "snubbing" from our 2 wheeled friends?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Must be your neighborhood. Around here most everybody waves - even the POPO in cruisers.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think there are a lot of factors in play.

I get a fair amount of waves. I don't care if I don't get them- riders are busy, they're not looking, they're just not in the mood, etc. I can easily see NOT waving on some beautiful days when there are a hundred riders about, even a friendly sort like me gets tired of waving every thirty seconds.

That said, yeah, the Spyder isn't universally appreciated by two-wheel riders. Sometimes it's just personal taste, that's fine. Sometimes it's ignorance-- that's a shame, it'd be nice if more riders learned how much fun Spyders can be, and how they're different from anything else on the road.

There's also, frankly, plenty of stereotyping going on:

"Trikes are for people who can't ride two wheels." I can ride two wheels just fine, thanks.

"Trikes are for old people and the infirm, people too weak to hold up a bike at stops." I'm 38 and in the best shape of my adult life, thanks.

"Trikes handle like ." This may be true of some conventional trikes, but anyone whose ridden the reverse-trike Spyder knows this isn't true about our vehicle.

"If it doesn't lean, what's the point, why not just get a convertible?" Because it's still fun to ride out in the open air?

Etc., etc.

Anyway, I won't fake the bravado and say none of this matters to me. A lot of people say that, i.e. "Who cares what other people think?" I think most everyone cares what other people think, and there's nothing wrong with that. I would love it if more two-wheel riders got to know the Spyder for what it is, and learned to appreciate how great they are. I'll never think they are for everyone, just as not all riders want a Harley, or a Gixxer, or a dual-sport, or a scooter, or a hack, or a... you get the idea. But why fight over vanilla, chocolate or rocky road when we can all agree that we share a love for ice cream?

We're all early adopters. Be bold, own it, but recognize that not everyone will agree with us. The best we can do is act as happy evangelists for a great vehicle, and hope others come to recognize all the Spyder has to offer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Relax... you're still cool...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

on getting your new Spyder and back to the cool kids club.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default You just put it behind ya!!!,

Us old timers to motorcycling can' help but notice it. My personal take on wavers and non-wavers is turning into a "they have been corrupted to just being friends"

Old traditions just fade away like old soldier's. Only to be remembered by those that cared.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I rode two wheels until last Wednesday... There are so many bikes on the road I probably wave half the time...

Spyder Garage

Just keep waveing and have fun!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Many motorcyclists don't allow our backwards trikes in the "club. You're not worthy of the special biker wave. You belong in with the minivans. It actually decreases the fun of participating in motorcycling events. I'd rather not dress like a pirate to confirm to their dress code anyway. I actually think it's more fun going on a ride with the gf on back going our own way. I don't initiate the wave anymore and if a fellow cyclist waves, it's her duty to return the wave.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey guys and girls I am brand new to the spyder family to just got my 2013 rt- s 1 month old looking forward to be able to add my input in the future thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffguy1509 View Post
    Hey guys and girls I am brand new to the spyder family to just got my 2013 rt- s 1 month old looking forward to be able to add my input in the future thanks
    to you as well, and on your new RT!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback guys.

None of this effects how much FUN I have riding of course.

Ironically I get the most attention form kids, teenage boys, and older women elbowing their grey bearded husband pointing me out as they pass. I play it all up and wave and give the "rock on" sign to all the kids and have a good time with it. I am usually paying too much attention to the road but my wife says we get way more attention than I am even aware of and she just waves at everyone as they giggle and point at her hot pink helmet pigtails.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome aboard; Tuffguy!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

to the Spyderverse!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MuGGzy View Post
    I just got a 2012 RSS and love it! It is so fun and my wife loves being on the back with me.

I have been a 2 wheel rider since I rode a scooter with a Briggs and Stratton lawnmower engine at 5yrs old but had to take 18 years off to be a dad.

One of the cool things I fondly recalled about riding motorcycles was that it felt like you were suddenly part of some secret club or fraternity with other bike riders. I remember at 17 being boggled by all the waves I got from other riders and such but then figuring out that "it's a motorcycle THING" and liked the comradery of it.

In the last 18 or so years as the latest generation killed this "Cool Kids Club"? Has the friendly fraternity of all motorcycle drivers faded while I was away?

Or do 2 wheel riders just not think Spyders are motorcycles so we don't get into "the club"?

This thread is of course somewhat tongue in cheek but I have noticed that I get very few waves or nods from other riders, even if I am the one doing the waving, and find myself feeling foolish when the wave or acknowledgement isn't returned. I don't really CARE, this is just more of an observation of curiosity.

You're cool enough for this crowd. But that may not be saying much.

The wave-not-returned thing is discussed a lot. My attitude is similar to that of DaveinVA. Who knows what's in the mind of the other riders? I know I get distracted by something I'll miss waving back in time for another rider to see it. Otherwise, if I feel like other riders are just being snobs about the tryke thing, I figure "Sc*** 'em." Or "unsc*** 'em cuz sc****ing is too good for 'em."

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who wants to be dressing up like a ghey pirate to be in a brotherhood anyway. I'd rather buy Can Am logo'd gear, hang with Can Am friends and events, and ... oh wait.. I AM in a brotherhood! ..nevermind.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Re: New Spyder Owner, am I not a "cool kid"??

You Nationwide now! Im usually really happy long as the cars don't hit me! :eek:Still have my 92R100r w Velorex sidecar so Im used to the stares.:sly:

From Deep in the Hart of Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

and on the new rydes--to both of you.

RE: the wave. It must be a neighborhood thing. Around here, I would say that about 95% of the bikers wave.

The people who rent the Beemers to go up to the North Slope hardly ever wave, and a few hard core HD riders seem to be the ones that don't give the wave here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm waving at ya from way over here welcome and enjoy. this is the best forum with the best people on the net.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    Who wants to be dressing up like a ghey pirate to be in a brotherhood anyway. I'd rather buy Can Am logo'd gear, hang with Can Am friends and events, and ... oh wait.. I AM in a brotherhood! ..nevermind.
    I'm looking for a CAN Am leather vest! not really. to each his own, I'm happy where I'm at.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    and on the new rydes--to both of you.

RE: the wave. It must be a neighborhood thing. Around here, I would say that about 95% of the bikers wave.

The people who rent the Beemers to go up to the North Slope hardly ever wave, and a few hard core HD riders seem to be the ones that don't give the wave here.
    Let's face it, most of the two wheeler set are weekend warriors. Part timers. Most of us are full timers and always making plans for the next 500 or 1000 mile trip. of course this doesn't apply to all of them. I do know some that do some serious road time, cudo's to them. I have two wheelers, have had for over 40 years. I swear I can't wait for the sun to come out or the rain to stop so I can find an excuse to jump on the spyder and go. I love it. It is a thrill to ride. Just can't help it.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Why would anybody care if another biker didn't wave?..You didn't buy your machine based upon thier approval...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

keep in touch and ride safe, God bless us all

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Waving is just saying hi and if no reply it's ok, wave again to the next rider. Riders who

wave back; they show they are having fun like me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MuGGzy View Post

There are so many more motorcycles today it is not practical to wave at all of them. And I don't like taking my hand off the handlebar and diverting my attention from driving. But my wife waves when she is the passenger. On a quiet country road I will wave back.