Thread: Belt

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt

Just wandering why BRP uses a belt that stretch's versus a belt that doesn't ?
    I use to work for Gates Corporation they have a product called Polly chain drive belt
    just thinkin may not have to adjust as much

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The belts are most likely purchased from whomever can build and supply them at the lowest price...
    Doesn't exactly inspire confidence; does it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'm not sure where you are coming from? The BRP belt usually shows a tiny bit of stretch when first used, but seldom has to be adjusted after the first 600 miles. I don't think they stretch any more than any other Gilmer belt. While I have checked my belts regularly, I have never actually had to actually adjust them outside of the initial adjustment. If you are having to adjust yours frequently, the belt is probably faulty. JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I'm not sure where you are coming from? The BRP belt usually shows a tiny bit of stretch when first used, but seldom has to be adjusted after the first 600 miles. I don't think they stretch any more than any other Gilmer belt. While I have checked my belts regularly, I have never actually had to actually adjust them outside of the initial adjustment. If you are having to adjust yours frequently, the belt is probably faulty. JMHO
    I adjusted my belt over 6,000 a go and it has not changed, I do check it at every oil change. I use a little belt spray every time I change oil. LITTLE is the key word. I don't spray it on belt, I spray a little on the rear sprocket and on a rag and with the rag I apply it to back and side of the belt. Then I let it dry for about one hour or more. That helps stop vibration at high speed and during acceleration.
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 05-14-2013 at 08:13 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Most motorcycle belts after the initial adjustment. [600/1000 miles] have negligible stretch...
    You want to see stretching get a bike with a chain.....They'll stretch inches after 15/20 thousand miles......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Chains require a whole lot more maintenance.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for input on belts, when I had my 600 mile service done / I asked about the belt tension the service manager said it was in spec / but I dought that it was checked at spyderfest I purchased a belt tensioner / installed after got back home made a huge improvement / set the tension on the tensioner to around 10 lbs / but still have some vibs at higher speeds / more so when two up
    just done my oil change on 2012 se5 rt limited
    5000 miles the belt was really loose before the install the belt tensioner think the belt was not adjusted @ 600 miles. Will adjust till vibs are at min but not to tight thanks