Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default SE-5....FIRST TIME ISSUE / OCCURANCE.....HELP

2011 RSS SE, 15,000 miles ..Last nite it threw every code there are after start-up including limp-mode.......Did the usual remove key 25 ft from Spyder wait 10 min. and return .....It starts fine.......I then shut it down,,,,,,Today, try to start....it boots up,but not in NEUTRAL.....stays in 1 st.....I try to manuelly click it into neutral ( I have done this before with success ) still no go,,,,,try removing key and going away etc.....return and still NO START....and NO NEUTRAL....checked all front fuses and relays seem to be good / and tight...........Yes I'm stepping on the brake pedal when attempting to start it........and spyder is always on Batt maintainer when not ridden.......any help would be appreciated.....Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-05-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    2011 RSS SE, 15,000 miles ..Last nite it threw every code there are after start-up including limp-mode.......Did the usual remove key 25 ft from Spyder wait 10 min. and return .....It starts fine.......I then shut it down,,,,,,Today, try to start....it boots up,but not in NEUTRAL.....stays in 1 st.....I try to manuelly click it into neutral ( I have done this before with success ) still no go,,,,,try removing key and going away etc.....return and still NO START....and NO NEUTRAL....checked all front fuses and relays seem to be good / and tight...........Yes I'm stepping on the brake pedal when attempting to start it........and spyder is always on Batt maintainer when not ridden.......any help would be appreciated.....Mike
    Look in your tool kit for the 13 mm wench, You can manually drop it in neutral with the wench, Very similar to the Honda semi-auto ATVs, On the Honda a low battery will keep it from going into neutral, Been there had that happen....

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Try putting it in reverse first. Then see if it will shift to neutral from there. Worked for me the one time mine would not seek neutral.

Spyder Garage

Default AND THE ANSWER IS ??????

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Look in your tool kit for the 13 mm wench, You can manually drop it in neutral with the wench, Very similar to the Honda semi-auto ATVs, On the Honda a low battery will keep it from going into neutral, Been there had that happen....
    Thanks Bob,..........and if I knew what to do with the 13 mm wrench this would be even more helpful..................Mike

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Will not Shift into Neutral(SE5Model)
    If the gearbox cannot shift into neutral when vehicle is not moving:
    1. The engine speed will be automatically increased to approximately1800 RPM then it will be brought back to idle speed.
    2. Up to 3 attempts will be done.
    3. If it does notwork, retry pressing upshift or downshift.
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-05-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 3 X's

BK.... what i do is: turn the ignition key to ON & OFF 3 consecutive times rapidly, then i wait about 15 seconds... this seems to clear up any issues with mine....
    however; the ONLY fault-code i've ever seen was TRANSMISSION...
    good luck my friend....
    006.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default THANKS

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    BK.... what i do is: turn the ignition key to ON & OFF 3 consecutive times rapidly, then i wait about 15 seconds... this seems to clear up any issues with mine....
    however; the ONLY fault-code i've ever seen was TRANSMISSION...
    good luck my friend....
    006.jpg
    Tried your fix......new things happened.......Before when I pressed the Start button NO SOUND AT ALL ....Now it souds like it's booting up again ? ? ?.....But It will not start..............And unless I'm mistaken unless the SE trans is or goes into NEUTRAL it CANNOT start.....similar to a manual trans car ....you have to depress the clutch if in gear......of course the SE has no MANUAL clutch so this not an option.

Spyder Garage

Tried your fix......new things happened.......Before when I pressed the Start button NO SOUND AT ALL ....Now it souds like it's booting up again ? ? ?.....But It will not start..............And unless I'm mistaken unless the SE trans is or goes into NEUTRAL it CANNOT start.....similar to a manual trans car ....you have to depress the clutch if in gear......of course the SE has no MANUAL clutch so this not an option.
    mine is an '09 SE5, and it WILL start in 1st gear, i don't like that, but i can...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Bob,..........and if I knew what to do with the 13 mm wrench this would be even more helpful..................Mike
    It should be explained in the manual. On the Honda it is on the lower left side behind the foot peg on the tranny..... But are you sure your battery is fully charged and or is it holding that charge...??
    Last edited by boborgera; 05-05-2013 at 04:22 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default 1 ST GEAR STARTING

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    mine is an '09 SE5, and it WILL start in 1st gear, i don't like that, but i can...
    I did not think they could work that way........at any rate mine is silent except for the BOOT-UP computer sounds

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your Battery connections; this could be a voltage thing...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default New battery?

Sounds like you need a new battery....attach a good battery with your jumper cables and see if it cranks....

Spyder Garage

Default Loose

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Check your Battery connections; this could be a voltage thing...
    Never gonna happen Bob I swear by STAR WASHERS BUT THANKS

Spyder Garage

I will join the crowd and guess it may be your battery. To test this hook up a set of booster cables to a known good battery and see what happens.

As per not starting because it is not in neutral should not be. It is a very common myth. From my own experience and as stated in the owner manual it will start in any gear. It can't shift gears on it's own until the engine starts because there is no oil pressure to operate the hydraulics until the engine is spinning.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default battery?

Never gonna happen Bob I swear by STAR WASHERS BUT THANKS
    battery voltage? it may have taken a crap. i love my sm5 when mine crapped out it did all kinds of wierd things.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

You didn't by chance (accidentally) forget the emergency kill switch in the off position, did you?

Spyder Garage

Hmmm try a pair of small vicegrips grab the linkage park brake off an try to pull it back you will feel it clunk then see if you have it in N have had to do it b4. Good luck

Spyder Garage

Default BRING EVERYONE UP TO SPEED ON THIS

First, thanks to all who have responded great people here ,Mike....now good news ...bad news!!!!!! IT STARTED....why is not known....all connections are clean and tight....OEM batt. is good and fully charged ( new battery dind't start it, the old one did, go figure ) ...When it did start ..Neutral came on immed.,,and the following CODES...VSS, ABS, & CHECK ENG........but not the DPS code which came on the other day...( thank God for smae favors )....I did the code check thing....Buuuuuut NO CODES showed.....turned spy off , then on, (not eng.running) still no codes, started eng. no codes ....I'm getting a LITTLE CRAZY with this....I have been in touch with the MASTER aka Scotty and am waiting on his thoughts......please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds to me like a gremlin got past your bell

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

All of this sounds a lot like a battery, voltage, charging system kinda problem. You're on the right track.

Once you restart it, the codes will clear off the screen, but they are still stored in memory. You can either run the procedure to retrieve them (I forget what it is on the RS) or hook the BUDS up (shop time!) and you'll see the laundry list of codes, most of which just mean "I didn't have enough voltage to run everything at once".

Been through this twice on 2 Spyders. It's just their way of asking for a new battery usually.

Good luck. Glad you got it running again.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mike, Whenever multiple unrelated codes are generated you have to strongly suspect a problem with the electrical system because if the voltage is low as read by the ECU diagnostics these codes will occur without anything else wrong. The first suspect is always the battery but you say you've checked that with the old oem battery. Still you could have two bad batteries, it happens. If this were my Spyder I would attach a good quality digital voltmeter (multimeter) to the battery terminals and watch it carefully when you try to start up the bike (if you don't have a good multimeter let me know, you could use mine). If the voltage drops to anything below 11.7 volts at any time I would suspect the battery is causing the issue. Next I would attach the voltmeter to the front fuse box to one of the fuses that has power all the time (you could also use the 12 volt power adapter if you have one). The point is to monitor the voltage thru the wiring harness and not just at the battery terminals where it will be at it's strongest. I would again carefully monitor the voltage when trying to start the bike. Again if it falls below 11.7 volts, even momentarily, suspect a problem.

Next I would carefully inspect all the ground terminals especially the one located on the chassis near the steering column on the left side (in the vicinity of the front fuse box underside). This ground terminal is key and sometimes the bolt/nut can be loose (it was on mine). Make sure it's really tight and that all the ground leads coming off of it are secure. Next check the ground terminal near the ignition coil (left side).

If you find nothing wrong with all of this pm me and we can go over other possible options.

Spyder Garage

Default UPDATE

Took a shot and changed out some RELAYS and so far it's running fine now on the ......................original OEM battery.......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 05-08-2013 at 08:49 AM.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

First, thanks to all who have responded great people here ,Mike....now good news ...bad news!!!!!! IT STARTED....why is not known....all connections are clean and tight....OEM batt. is good and fully charged ( new battery dind't start it, the old one did, go figure ) ...When it did start ..Neutral came on immed.,,and the following CODES...VSS, ABS, & CHECK ENG........but not the DPS code which came on the other day...( thank God for smae favors )....I did the code check thing....Buuuuuut NO CODES showed.....turned spy off , then on, (not eng.running) still no codes, started eng. no codes ....I'm getting a LITTLE CRAZY with this....I have been in touch with the MASTER aka Scotty and am waiting on his thoughts......please keep your fingers and toes crossed for me Mike

This sounds like what happened to me on the way to SF.

From MD to Cuba, MO I was fine. We were about 40 miles from SF, in the rain when the spyder flashed LIMP and then DPS. I pulled over, pulled the key, walked around. We started up again and got check engine, VSS, ABS, DPS. Saw 4 or 5 codes but it was pouring down rain so we didn't write them down.

Decided best bet was to hop on and see how it went. Pulled out into traffic all of those warnings flashed and everything was fine. I talked to Len at Pitbull, he said it may be a loose connection to the battery or something may have gotten wet. I kept an eye on it but everything was fine until Thursday when I had a little computer issue (screen would go on, show can-am, show check safety card warning then turn off - rinse and repeat). I drove up to Pitbull and made an appt. for Friday. But, everything was fine again. They hooked it up to BUDS and everything was fine, no codes. Knock on wood, it's been good since!
    2012 RT , Blue