Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Gravel roads - oh, no!

I just bought a 2013 RT-S. Don't even have it yet, it's still in the crate at the dealer's. Looking through the don'ts, obviously riding on gravel roads is a no-no. Well, I live on a gravel road and this was one of the biggest reasons I bought a Spyder. I've ridden Harley's for a long time, but quit riding when I built a house out in the country. Dumping an Ultra on a gravel road just didn't sound like a good time to me. The longest stretch to get to hard surface is about 3/4 of a mile. Am I destined to have a broken down bike all the time? I was all excited to get back in the saddle.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

H-dog,
    I just put a belt guard from SpyderPops on my 2013 RT. Very easy install. I would think between the belt guard and just taking it easy on your gravel patch, you should be good to go! I just did 60 miles of twisties yesterday. All kinds of left-over gravel from winter sanding operations. Would have actually been dangerous on 2 wheels. You are gonna LOVE the stability of this machine. Have fun!

Spyder Garage

Default Gear Shifting with SM5

A newbie question here. I just got my 2012 RT SM5 a week ago. Do the RPM targets for the SE5 go for the SM5 as well?

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    H-dog,
    I just put a belt guard from SpyderPops on my 2013 RT. Very easy install. I would think between the belt guard and just taking it easy on your gravel patch, you should be good to go! I just did 60 miles of twisties yesterday. All kinds of left-over gravel from winter sanding operations. Would have actually been dangerous on 2 wheels. You are gonna LOVE the stability of this machine. Have fun!
    Thanks, I feel a bit better now. Just ordered the "missing belt guard". Really can't wait to get back on a bike.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sjcpanther View Post
    A newbie question here. I just got my 2012 RT SM5 a week ago. Do the RPM targets for the SE5 go for the SM5 as well?
    Yes. Start with what is recommended and adjust as you get used to your Spyder. The clutch information does not apply.

Enjoy!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by hogdog View Post
    Thanks, I feel a bit better now. Just ordered the "missing belt guard". Really can't wait to get back on a bike.
    Enjoy!

Spyder Garage

Tried the new gear shifting approach on a nice ryde yesterday. Definitely felt more power and acceleration. Just something to get used to, hearing the engine at higher revs. But if that's what the Spyder likes, then that's what the Spyder will get. ��

Spyder Garage

Default I too can relate---just the way it is----

I just bought a 2013 RT-S. Don't even have it yet, it's still in the crate at the dealer's. Looking through the don'ts, obviously riding on gravel roads is a no-no. Well, I live on a gravel road and this was one of the biggest reasons I bought a Spyder. I've ridden Harley's for a long time, but quit riding when I built a house out in the country. Dumping an Ultra on a gravel road just didn't sound like a good time to me. The longest stretch to get to hard surface is about 3/4 of a mile. Am I destined to have a broken down bike all the time? I was all excited to get back in the saddle.
    I can so relate---I wanted a Spyder--bought one- and live on a gravel road. I got 10 to 15 mph max until I hit black top--which is about a mile. I have not gotten my Spyderpops Missing Rock Guard put on yet, This weekend though, and I have heard a couple of rocks get crunched in the belt. Mainly cause where I live they are too cheap to use heavier gravel for the county roads. Anyways--I keep hoping for a miracle and dust control to be put down on our roads. Someday, when enough rich people move out by me I guess. Just use good judgement and you'll be okay.
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2024 at 07:09 AM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Updated with a few additions.

Missing vent (that was never missing)
    Toolkit location (for those that didn't read the manual)
    RT Nanny-Code retrieval procedure (Jerbear reminded me I only had it for the RS)
    Complete instructions on pre-setting radio-stations (Badazzsydee discovered the manual's instructions were incomplete)
    ...and couple other items.

Hope it helps!

Ride often, safe, and alert!
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 04-12-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default tool kit

I don't mean to be difficult and I'm not trying to be a smart As but on the RSS and STS The tool kit is in the Frunk mounted on the right side.
    Thanks Kubie

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kubie View Post
    I don't mean to be difficult and I'm not trying to be a smart As but on the RSS and STS The tool kit is in the Frunk mounted on the right side.
    Thanks Kubie
    The list was referencing the RT... sorry Kubie. I'll add that to the list though. Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Bump

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump!!! STICKY THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Best Read

This is the best read we have had since joining SpyderLovers.Wow did we learn.(we are better SpyderRyders for it) Please add more. Thanks
    [/QUOTE]

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Is the procedure to get the codes on the ST the same as the RT?

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NCSpyderRT View Post
    Is the procedure to get the codes on the ST the same as the RT?
    I do not know... If someone does... let me know and I'll include what the ST procedure is. I would assume so, but wouldn't bet the ranch on it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default New but lots of miles for Newbie

I just returned from 9 days in the Phoenix AZ area. I went there for the specific and singular purpose of renting and riding a Spyder for a week to see if I really want to buy one. Rydeaspyder.com was my source of an RT that I rode for 8 days - in lots of differing circumstances. I read lots of Spyderweb before taking the trip but failed to see this thread. Newcomers heed well - the information herein will save you lots of grief. I put on over 1,200 miles in 6 actual days of riding. It was great and my rental was a great tool. Even though the RT had over 30k miles on it, it treated me well. I highly recommend this approach to a decision of this $$ magnitude. I come with many years of riding experience, my present bikes are: 2011 Superlow 883, 04 Low Rider, 07 Buell Blast, and a 1981 Yamaha 250 Exciter. My "road" bikes are the Superlow (which fits me best) and the Low Rider. At 76 years of age the road trips are getting more difficult with the Harleys. Add a very short inseam of 28" to the equasion and it is easy to see why a bagger (regardless of nameplate) is not high on my wish list. Enter the Spyder - - it proved to be a great tool, a blast to ride and appears to be what I need if I want to continue putting making a couple of longer runs each year. Hope to pick up a yellow RTS the last weekend of Spyderfest 2013. The Major sends

Spyder Garage

Default STICKY!?!?!?!?!?!

Bumpity Bump Bump Bump!!! STICKY THIS PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Just as a note, I have to drive about 1/2 mile on a gravel road to get to the main road. I did order the belt guard, and in the past year of driving on the gravel, I have had no problems. I would recommend you keep it slow though.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Do's & Do Not's for New Spyder Owners: Updated April 24th, 2013

Great Info.

Thank you so much.

Dom
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2024 at 07:11 AM.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Great information and thank you for posting it. I live near 2 school zones so frequently have to go 20 mph; should I leave it in 1st gear all the way thru the school zones?

Spyder Garage

Default Re: "Do's and Do Nots" for new Spyder owners...

I do. Keeps clutch fully engaged, no lugging. Your machine will thank you for it.

Sent from Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bob View Post
    Great information and thank you for posting it. I live near 2 school zones so frequently have to go 20 mph; should I leave it in 1st gear all the way thru the school zones?
    Yes you should. If you are riding in a 20 mph zone all day, then you should never see 2nd gear.

Keep in mind, the clutch is not fully stalled (locked) until it is in the 3200 (+/- 200) rpm range. Round that up to 3500 and you'll always be assured the clutch if fully engaged. However, also keep in mind that keeping the rpm's above 4300+ rpm when riding is favored for performance reasons.

Anything lower than that begins to put more stress on the entire drive-train to perform as it should -- especially if you are pulling a trailer or are loaded to near capacity of the Spyder.

Also to consider; the Rotax engine for the Spyder power-band is at higher rpm's (closer to 5500 rpm's and up). Most experienced riders/drivers of any vehicle will always tell you to maintain optimum power at the throttle at all times for peak performance and for safety reasons (so power, if needed, is readily available to avoid a situation without having to shift -- don't catch yourself getting lazy and let your Spyder slop-around in the wrong gear/rpm configurations. It is a bad habit and not necessarily a safe practice).

Running a Spyder at a higher rpm may be hard to get used to. Initially it may sound and feel like you should shift. I assume it is because most all other vehicles people drive/ride run at much lower rpm's -- thus most are not used to how it sounds or feels.

In addition, some seem to believe running at higher rpm's means always having to be "screaming" around on their Spyder. It does not mean that at all. It simply means not shifting too soon and staying in the proper gear configuration for as long as you are riding it that gear's range (all day if that it the case).

Do yourself a favor and shift at the higher rpm ranges suggested until you get used to it. When you do, it will eventually feel more natural, and you will appreciate what is being stated here.

As a footnote for proof: The RTS SE5 in "trailer-mode" pushes-up the shift points fairly close to these ranges. And the down-shift points are at much higher rpm's also. (In trailer-mode, the system down-shifts to 1st gear at the 3200 rpm range of 2nd gear -- which then raises the rpm's back-up to a much higher range when engaged in 1st.)

Lastly as mentioned, most people feel they have to use all the gears all the time. That is just simply wrong -- period. Get used to STAYING in a particular gear for as long as you are within its speed and rpm range -- even if that means all-day.

I just took a long ride a week ago pulling my trailer (hundreds of miles) on mostly all interstate highway and rarely used 5th gear, unless I was above 70 MPH. With the drag of the trailer, 5th gear just didn't have the torque needed to pull the slight inclines and fight the wind without stressing some. in 4th... it was a breeze and my Spyder hummed along as smooth as can be -- with power still at the throttle.

Having said all of this... be sure to keep your Spyder maintained to high standards. Do not slack on giving it what it needs.

Good luck -- ride safe, often and alert!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default first ride

First of all thank you for all the great information.
    I unfortunately have to make my first ride on my Spyder RRS SE5 from the dealer which is a 2.5 hour ride
    Do you have any suggestions for the ride. I have ridden a Spyder before but for a very limited ride. I also used to ride a sport bike, not that they are the same.
    Any insites would be appreciated

Spyder Garage

I've been there! I'd look for surface streets, or slower highways, if you can, to get used to the ride (and, in my case, the very different sense of speed vs. being in a cage). If you are used to bikes (I'd only ridden an ATV in past), this will be far easier for you than it was for me. My wife followed me home in her car (it took all day to do what would normally be a much faster trip, which was about 25% of what it would take me to do the same ride now). I'd certainly get the Spyder in the morning, and take breaks. I very much wish that I'd had the benefit of this thread; it would have prevented me from having to unlearn some bad habits.

Congrats on the new purchase!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default first ride

spyder-mumba

Also, if your Spyder is new, don't forget to avoid ryding at constant speeds for the first 200 miles. Vary your speeds thru all the gears to facilitate the break-in of the engine. Avoid cruise-control until after break-in.
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl