Thread: Voltmeter

Spyder Garage

Default Voltmeter

I had a voltmeter installed on my 2010 RT (under the seat) by a Dealer & they ran it to my battery. The lights are on full time instead of only on when you turn on the key. The instructions say that "to connect it to a power lead that is only on when the key is on". Can you folks tell me where you found a connections other than the battery as I am worried about draining the battery.
    Thanks for the help.
    Barry

Spyder Garage

Not sure on the RT, but on my GS, in the frunk fuse box, is a fuse labled switched. Hope this gives you a place to start. Other RT owners will chime in, I'm sure

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Confused..!!

if the voltmeter was connected directly to the battery, what lights stay on? and do they go off in any way as you walk away? That will kill the battery. No lights should be involved unless the voltmeter is the lighted bar style. Dealer should have known and should redo it correctly if possible. Otherwise the fuse boxes have markings as to which are switched. Good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Voltmeter

Sorry Team I didn't explain myself very well. The lights on the voltmeter stay on all the time. Have made an appointment with the dealer to fix. They mentioned about running the red wire to the accessory terminal instead of the battery. Thanks for the help.

Spyder Garage

Default Re: Voltmeter

I hooked mine to the battery through a switched relay. Installing a relay might make future electrical additions easier...

Sent from Galaxy S3 via Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I mounted mine where the fuel guage used to me. Although it does not monitor direct voltage, it does tell me what I want to know - power available and I can also see that things are charging. I used the wire for the gauge light and it works fine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I ran mine direct, like yours, except I put a marine switch in to turn it on and off. I got the lighted one so I would know when it's on. It looks like the stock Spyder switches also.

http://www.basspro.com/Contura-Switches/product/23418/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flybuddy; 05-04-2013 at 10:02 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Voltmeter

Thanks for all your help Team Spyders! We will get the fix done !
    Thanks again.
    Barry