View Poll Results: When do you think Spyderfest 2014 should be held?

Voters
129. You may not vote on this poll
  • Keep it in April

43 33.33%
  • May

55 42.64%
  • June

14 10.85%
  • July

6 4.65%
  • August

1 0.78%
  • September

7 5.43%
  • October

1 0.78%
  • Any other month (brrrrr...)

2 1.55%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boomboom1 View Post
    Per the Weather Channel statistics, the average high and low temperature in Springfield is 10 to 12 degrees higher in May than in April. Being from Florida, I was not able to enjoy Spyderfest in the cold rain. I would rather pay more for a hotel room in May and not freeze to death. My two cents.
    My feelings are the same, in fact, I'd rather see June. Those of us who traveled long distances have a bunch of money in attending. The local hotel bill was only a small percentage of total cost and I'd be more than glad to pay more for a better chance at warmer weather. I enjoyed Spyderfest but the weather was tough on those of us from Florida. If it's in April again next year I'll be staying home.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Now we're not only throwing rocks at the date, but we are throwing rocks at the location? As far as I am concerned, that's just plain rude. I have to tell you that I am pretty disappointed in the comments I've seen here and in other threads. You always have the choice of not attending if you don't like what is offered. The same thing goes for any other event...the BRP Owners Event, Spyders in the Redwoods, Magog, or even a demo day.
    I have been on the organizing end of public events and sometimes it can be a thankless job, but then I know that going into such things like this. Now I have not been to Spyderfest yet, but I am looking forward to it in 2015 as my 2014 schedule has been set for a while. My advise to Mogang is to ignore the chatter knowing that you did the best you could and just put on a wonderful event, even if the weather did not cooperate. Thanks Ron

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

Wow....some crappy weather really got the forum in disarray. First time I've seen it like this. Come on fellow spyderlovers....let's put this to rest. It's not that serious, lol.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    Wow....some crappy weather really got the forum in disarray. First time I've seen it like this. Come on fellow spyderlovers....let's put this to rest. It's not that serious, lol.
    I totally agree. I have never been on this forum and felt unwelcome to voice an opinion before, but there have been a lot of hostile comments over this issue. I am sorry I ever brought up the weather. Usually people can offer their opinion about something without feeling under attack, but not on this issue. The Spyder camaraderie that I always brag about to non-riders has not been evident here. A simple request that the weather be taken into consideration when scheduling occurs has morphed into an attack on people, rather than being a simple request to consider the weather. The Northern/Midwestern folks who are used to frigid temperatures and snow may feel that riding for days in under 50 degree rain is wonderful but I personally found it to be horrible. We ride in rain a lot at home, but NOT when it's in the 40's. There were many wonderful things about Spyderfest this year, but the weather was certainly not one of them. As Kratos said, let's put it to rest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Ironic

Kind of funny (& sad) that a group called Spyderlovers would be so full of animosity.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

I don't see questioning the timing as a slam at the event. If the weather stats for this time of year are less conducive to riding than other dates, and those dates are possible for the organizers, why not optimize attendance and enjoyment by making the change? You wouldn't schedule a bike event in December, would you? If the organizers are locked into April for some reason so be it, and we thank them for your efforts on our behalf.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I read through the posts and I'm not really seeing any animosity. People have been complaining about the weather since they lived in caves. Positive criticisms are a good thing, no reason to suppress others opinions. Looks like everyone responding is just trying to improve the Spyderfest experience. We may not agree in every case but everyone has the right to express an opinion as long as it's not hurtful.
    There were lots of hard working people involved in making the Fest successful, I'm sure they would be interested in ways to improve simple stuff like:
    * better maps (directions) and real addresses for events
    * some indoor events, if feasible
    * standard notification system if events change--showed up at Pitbull on Wed for a Spyder class that was listed but didn't happen. One specific thread that everyone could access on Spyderlovers could take care of this.
    * when you're giving out hot dogs and burgers don't block the line with the condiment table
    For a first time, major event..most everything went surprisingly smooth and those involved in planning/execution are to be congratulated. The above are minor things easily worked around, but still, you won't know if you can improve on things if no one tells you.

Spyder Garage

Default When would you like to see Spyderfest Happening?

The subject of weather is a simple one. The issue here is family and financial. Events cost money but obviously make money for many people involved. That being said the MoGang and Len have done these events with a lot of love but not solely out of love.

Springfield is not Cuba. Cuba is a charming little town with a lot of self pride. It was surprise to me how great a town and area it was. Springfield is much less so. Springfield is also in the path of the same weather pattern that sweeps up from Texas through Oklahoma. Cuba was at the edge of that pattern even though it had it's share of weather at events as well.

An events size and success can often lead to its demise but we all know the event moved because of the dealership not because of its size.

Nobody should get upset over discussing the weather. But this is a little bit of a turf war.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe this thread just needs to be closed, and everybody who voiced an opinion should be thanked for doing so...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

36 - I would not consider attending…..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

IMO this thread does need to be closed. No matter when the event is held it will be too cold, too hot, too rainy, too dry, etc. Some people would complain if they got a job in an ice cream factory as a taste tester.

MOGang and Len, you did an excellent job. Our numbers seem to double every year. Cuba would be too small to handle such numbers.

My hat is off to all who made this happen! I'll be there next year whether it rains, is hot, etc. (snow however may make a difference.....lol)