Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default New to spyders, which one to purchase?

My husband owns a Harley Ultra Glide and I have been riding as a passenger for the last three years and as he put it wants me to get off his back. I started taking lessons but half way through hurt my knee, which has finally healed. We have been looking at the Spyder because of the stability but I am not sure which one I should get. I would use it for traveling to work and also for touring with him approximately 500 km one way.
    Is there any ladies out there that could give me their onion on whether to get the RS or RT.

Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

well, i'm not a lady, but i'll tell you that a buddy of mine bought an rt last year for his wife and she just thinks it's too big for her. she loves my rss, so I think there will be a trade real soon for an rs for her. by the way, my wife and I love our rs!!!

Spyder Garage

The only one that can tell you which model is right for you is you.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm not a lady too but you do some test drive on RT and RS then you can make your own preference. My ride is a RT SE5 and I enjoy my paddle semi auto and I don't miss the clutch on my two wheels mc.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking Not a woman --------- but,

The ST sounds like it fits your needs perfectly. jmy2c

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Agree, might want to look into the ST

I thought I was heading for a RT, but my wife liked the sporty look and feel of the ST. I now have a ST Limited. My wife drove it for the first time today and loved it. She has already made the statement, that when we get another, this one is hers. Hope that helps in your choice, but as has been said, you are the only one that can choose what's right for you.

Spyder Garage

Not a lady either--but, recommend test driving to find the model that appeals to you most.

RS--most like a sport bike--you will be crouched over when riding.

ST--half way between the RS and the RT. More upright riding position.

RT--the Touring machine with all the amenities.

Cost climbs as you go up the ladder.

I started with two RS's and then moved on to RT's because they fit us better. No experience with the new ST's yet. The plan is to stick with what I have this year.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 04-22-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

which one you buy should depend on who's paying for it

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Which ever one you get......we all know you'll be HAAPY.....

please enjoy the choosing of your first SPYDER

Howard

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default What do I want?

The toughest question always is the one that can only be determined by the purchaser with a lot of research and pondering.

I went from a GW to a RTL 2011. Most of our riding is just running errands, day tripping (less then 100 miles). But we also like the occasional one night away from home base. We do not like to camp. Her definition of camping is a motel without high definition TV. Mine is no Internet outlet or coffee pot.

The Sport models offer minimal storage for all your essentials and gear. You will get more wind and weather exposure with this type.

The Touring models offer more storage but not much more. It looks like you have a couple cubic yards but looks can be deceiving in fact you should talk your dealer into letting you do a load test if your one of the types that carries a purse that weighs 50# like my spouse. But you never want for anything from aspirin to splints. You will get more wind an weather protection with this one.

All in all each type has its pluses an negatives so it boils down to your desires and need.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I also highly recommend finding a dealer where you can test ryde the different models available. You may know immediately upon sitting on them which one just feels right for you. Best of luck with your search.

Spyder Garage

Default Which bike

My husband and I had 2009 RS we traded them both in for 2011 Rt's when going long distances this has a much better ride. This is because on the RS you must lean forward which does not happen on the RT. Suggest you take both out for a ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ST-S SE5

I have 1,200 miles on my ST-S SE5 at this point. Just had the lower ball joint recall done and the handling is pretty darned good now. I like the upright seating and the taller windshield, as well as the footboards. The electric shift is great, too. How cool is it to have Reverse! I would recommend this model to anyone, except for people whose right foot is not capable of braking, since that is where the brake pedal is. Also, if you like to go on long trips and need more storage than the saddlebags that can be added to the ST, then you would be happier with the RT. Some people go whole hog and add a trailer to their RT. Doesn't appeal to me, but I guess that is why they make the three basic models. I would have bought a fully automatic transmission, like the one my Suzuki Burgman 650 had, if it had been available, but the electric shift is almost as good. All in all, I really like my Spyder. Oh, I had the dealer add the optional fog lights....it is Circuit Yellow Metallic, but I thought that having even more lights on the front just might save someone from pulling out in front of me because they don't see me, some day.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My husband and I both had 2008 GSs. We travelled all over with them. Of course to be comfortable there were all sorts of mods. Last year we traded them both in at Spyderfest for 2 2012 RT with all the amenities. We have never regretted it. For long trips everthing fits on the RTs. Before we had to pull a trailer. My advice is to test drive both, look at what is included in the purchase and decide. BTW mine is an SE5 and his is a SM5. I love my SE5 and he loves his SM. It's all personal choice in the end. Yes, I know I need to change my photo

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have had my RS SE5 for almost two years. I like the sporty feel. The RT is just to big. I feel as if I am sitting on a tank. Just recently added 4" risers. Makes a world of difference. I bought Nelson Riggs saddle bags. Works great. But as others have said, it all boils down to what you like and can afford.

If I were buying a bike now, it would definitely be the STS. Sweet machine.
    Last edited by Daisyjoe; 04-21-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default choices, choices..!!

you have the RS = sport
    you have the RSS = super sport
    you have the ST = sport touring
    you have the RT = road touring

from the above list the price increases as you move down. You have seen the comments above and from what you stated I believe the best one would be the ST. You could get the bare bones model and add what you feel you need along the way. Jmho...!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep55 View Post
    My husband owns a Harley Ultra Glide and I have been riding as a passenger for the last three years and as he put it wants me to get off his back. I started taking lessons but half way through hurt my knee, which has finally healed. We have been looking at the Spyder because of the stability but I am not sure which one I should get. I would use it for traveling to work and also for touring with him approximately 500 km one way.
    Is there any ladies out there that could give me their onion on whether to get the RS or RT.

Thanks
    Wow...I'd never say that to my wife, for a variety of reasons, the main being I LIKE riding with her!

Anyway, my wife took her MSF 3-wheel course on the Spyder and she loves the way the RT rides and handles. She's just much more comfortable on it than either the RS or ST.

Spyder Garage

If you have a bad knee then you do not want the RS, because you have to bend your legs back like a sport bike. So it is between an St or an RT. RT is like driving a full dresser and the ST is much sportier. Try them both and see what floats your boat?
    " SO MANY ROADS SO LITTLE TIME "
    2009 SE-5 , Yellow/Black

Spyder Garage

I am a female rider and I ride a 2011 RT SE 5. I love it for the comfort. As I have posted last year, we did a two week 2500 mile trip while my hubby rode his HD Roadglide. You'll have a stereo, heated grips, cruise, etc. The only thing I added for comfort was a backrest. After the learning curve I went through, it turns on a dime and has all the power you need. I feel safe and riding has been a stress free enjoyment. Now as previously stated you should look at the new ST as well. You will still have the side bags for your purse and extra riding gear. You'll need to try to ride both and make your personal decision. Having said all that, I have no experience with the RS other than sitting on one and did not care for the forward riding position. Last thing, IMHO, do the automatic. Just a thumb paddle for shifting which, for me, was much more comfortable in the turns when having to downshift. I am excited for you and make your decision keeping YOUR comfort level in mind, don' t let anyone talk you into something that doesn't t feel right to you. Embrace the freedom of riding your own!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I am a lady and just purchased my second spyder. My first was the RS but traded it in for the ST limited I love it!!!! Has all the features of the RT but not as big and better for the single rider. You would love the ST .

Spyder Garage

Very similar situation to my wife and me. She wanted to do her own riding versus riding on back. Issue that she is very petite and very limited on bikes she could get her feet down on. Also, the weight of most two-wheelers made her uneasy. The ST was just announced when she was in the buying process. Regardless, she liked the luggage, amenities and wind protection of the RT. She does not find it too big for her. For you and based on your note, I think the ST or RT would be the choices. Only way to know is to test ride each. See what you like and what fits the budget. Good luck....BTW, my wife is like a kid when she gets out on her Spyder. Brings a smile to her face that she has her own wheels.
    Last edited by Raknid; 04-22-2013 at 05:20 PM. Reason: never get it right on first take

Spyder Garage

I just wanted to say i Have nothing to say Its All been said I had the 2012 RSS and traded it in for the STS!! Love it Great Ryde!!!

krzychick

Default WOW SHE'S A BEAUTY !!!!!!

HEY YOUR SPYDER IS AMAZING WOW... I LOVE IT

UOTE=spydaman60;610182]well, i'm not a lady, but i'll tell you that a buddy of mine bought an rt last year for his wife and she just thinks it's too big for her. she loves my rss, so I think there will be a trade real soon for an rs for her. by the way, my wife and I love our rs!!![/QUOTE]

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Cool

I am a Female and I just purchased the RT Limited this past weekend. I have been test riding for over a year now and find that for my size, the ST's had me leaning forward just a little, but it was enough to bother my lower back. On the RT, I am in a comfortable full upright position and makes riding very comfortable and easy. Also, if you're like me and you have everything including the kitchen sink in your purse, you'll find the storage on the RT models a wonderful bonus.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep55 View Post

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the information, I was leaning towards the RT, now waiting for the dealership to set up their test rides.