Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

(Silly question here...)
    A slight pulling to the right; was the road crowned a bit?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you are making progress. First bad steering U-joint I have heard of. As to pulling to one side, the most common causes are failure to use the BRP tool to center the steering when replacing steering components or aligning the Spyder, and/or failing to reset the steering sensors via BUDS following alignment or parts replacement. I suspect your dealer may have committed one or both of these errors. If not, you may well have additional physical problems. Be aware that constantly pulling to one side can cause a fault, which could cause the Spyder to go into limp mode when the steering torque and steering angle sensors mismatch. Usually centering the steering and turning off the key for 15 seconds will clear the fault, but it can take multiple attempts. Be sure to have the front brakes checked if you make a long trip this way. The VSS could continually try to "steer" the Spyder for you, causing excessive pad wear on one side, pad glazing, and or rotor damage. We'll keep our fingers crossed for you. The dealer should install those adjustable bars for free for your troubles.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    (Silly question here...)
    A slight pulling to the right; was the road crowned a bit?

No , I was on the left side of the 2 lanes on my side of a 4 lane. It has a lean to the left. The spyder will actually pull itself over into the right lane.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting updates on what is happening. You are a very patient person and I commend you on working with the "powers that be" to get the problem solved.

I am also wondering why they did not solve this with the "obvious" solution that was there--but maybe that is still in the future if they cannot solve the issues and exhaust all the measures to try to fix it.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-25-2013 at 02:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Find a nearby dealer that has a good reputation and take it there. Get the 5-10% fixed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

they should have given you the one that worked,,,just saying.. read this whole thread.. just found it.. shaking head sideways..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh, I also wanted to mention. I called the Hamilton AL store and talked to service manager about the whole issue. He advised me that he had 2 bikes to do the ball joint campaign on but he didn't have the ball joints yet and he had never done the alignment procedure. So that also helped in the decision to leave it where it was.

magical member
    Spyder Garage

I don't want to add fuel to the fire I really don't. However me personally with all the issues with this one I would call lemon and see if you could get another 2012 or pay the difference for a 2013. If I took this one home I would forever be thinking its not right and then anything wrong even normal wear and tear would get me worried.

i don't know what your options are, I'm sure you have exhausted them and its easy for some one like me on the other end of a keyboard to suggest such drastic demands. It sounds easy just to demand a new bike I'm sure it's not but I would be very worried about the stability of the current ride. Again not trying to get you wound up or suggest something I'm sure you've thought about yourself, just a humble opinion.

Wishing you good luck and fingers crossed it all works out in the end.

harry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default When you first posted !

When you first posted about your problem you thought Big #1 was the best dealer. I tried to warn you! I had trouble whit them this time last year. finally got in touch with the rite person @ B R P an got mine fixed From now own I will Go to Cullum. THE SPORTS STORE They seam to now what they r doing J/S !! my 2 cents.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rabtech View Post
    Oh, I also wanted to mention. I called the Hamilton AL store and talked to service manager about the whole issue. He advised me that he had 2 bikes to do the ball joint campaign on but he didn't have the ball joints yet and he had never done the alignment procedure. So that also helped in the decision to leave it where it was.
    Urk...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Switching dealers midway through this...ordeal... might work against you.
    What is it that they say about too many cooks and that broth?
    I'd make sure that your dealer follows the procedures as laid out by BRP right down to the letter!
    Holding their feet to the fire isn't going to make them like you any better; but once they straighten it all out; ou can make a decision about changing...

(IMHO)
    When I finally go mine fixed Jeff (strongly) suggested that I would be happier with another dealer. I replied that as long as it was under warranty Big # 1 would fix it. I have since had a change of mine J/S !!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    ...see if you could get another 2012 or pay the difference for a 2013.
    It *is* a 2013.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    I don't want to add fuel to the fire I really don't. However me personally with all the issues with this one I would call lemon and see if you could get another 2012 or pay the difference for a 2013. If I took this one home I would forever be thinking its not right and then anything wrong even normal wear and tear would get me worried.

i don't know what your options are, I'm sure you have exhausted them and its easy for some one like me on the other end of a keyboard to suggest such drastic demands. It sounds easy just to demand a new bike I'm sure it's not but I would be very worried about the stability of the current ride. Again not trying to get you wound up or suggest something I'm sure you've thought about yourself, just a humble opinion.

Wishing you good luck and fingers crossed it all works out in the end.

harry
    I have a 2013...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2013...
    No, you have a payment for a 2013

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoford View Post
    No, you have a payment for a 2013

Man that was low. And I almost put you on my friend list....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Moto... sometimes the quickest shots are the best ones taken!
    Rab, SORRY!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Moto... sometimes the quickest shots are the best ones taken!
    Rab, SORRY!

And you were so nice at first......... Now you turn against me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If we can't laugh a bit; we'd have to sob in our beers...

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you've made progress and are getting somewhere near 'happy' with your purchase.

Many of us that bought 2008 GS PE models, and even later ones, dealt with the horrid DPS issues BRP had early on. I had 3 or 4 DPS units installed on my Spyder. BRP finally had to do a huge recall and installed much better, heavy-duty DPS units. Our problems then were a bit different as the steering would typically just LOCK UP... as in you could barely move the bars as you were fighting what felt like a magnetic resistance.... then the resistance would let loose when you were pushing hard and WHAM... you would turn too far.

It took a good year + for BRP to get this issue properly addressed and fixed, but they took care of it as I'm sure they will your current situation.

They do listen.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Glad to hear you've made progress and are getting somewhere near 'happy' with your purchase.

Many of us that bought 2008 GS PE models, and even later ones, dealt with the horrid DPS issues BRP had early on. I had 3 or 4 DPS units installed on my Spyder. BRP finally had to do a huge recall and installed much better, heavy-duty DPS units. Our problems then were a bit different as the steering would typically just LOCK UP... as in you could barely move the bars as you were fighting what felt like a magnetic resistance.... then the resistance would let loose when you were pushing hard and WHAM... you would turn too far.

It took a good year + for BRP to get this issue properly addressed and fixed, but they took care of it as I'm sure they will your current situation.

They do listen.
    I must totally agree I haven't had any problems with my 2011 for almost a year ! I hate what I had to go thru(an you are now) to get mine fixed BUT I LOVE MY SPYDER!! An you will too when they get things rite with you GOOD LUCK AND DON'T GIVE UP!!! PETE

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Updated this thread here.... Just a click away....

Update on my spyder and its condition. The best 32000 I have spent now......
    Last edited by rabtech; 04-21-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad it was resolved.

Spyder Garage

Default Boggles the Mind

You are a stubborn bunch--next time talk to a lawyer. Non-delivery of a motor vehicle is likely grounds for rescission. Also the time for you to make the play for the demo bike was when the Can Am rep was in the parking lot and a line of new prospective purchasers were lined up to ride it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ooh that could have been both ugly (for BRP) and very fun for the the owner!