Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Problem with fender tips install

I am working on this currently, have things installed as should be I believe but fender tip lights continue to be running lights only...any suggestions?? Basically, while the running lights are "on" this voltage is not dropping when I turn on the turn-signals. I'm confused, seeing as the running lights are constantly on, what causes this voltage to drop out during the turn-signal funtion.
    Last edited by Amanda B; 03-13-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    I am working on this currently, have things installed as should be I believe but fender tip lights continue to be running lights only...any suggestions?? Basically, while the running lights are "on" this voltage is not dropping when I turn on the turn-signals. I'm confused, seeing as the running lights are constantly on, what causes this voltage to drop out during the turn-signal funtion.
    From NMN instructions:

It is crucial that TIPS units orange wire be connected to the positive wire going to directional light.
    Reversed polarity will cause TIPS unit to not function.

Did you make sure of this?
    Last edited by wyliec; 03-13-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: update

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My brother tested to make sure he attached it to the positive. Any other ideas?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check it again.
    I was wireing in my Caddi Tail lights and found that the wire colors are very strange.
    The black ended up being hot and the orange was ground????? I had to check it 3-4 times (and slap the meter around a bit) to convice myself and I am an electrical engineer.

Make sure you are checking things with a meter and not just a test light.
    Look carfully for that little -minus sign- infront of the 12V

Polarity matters with LED's and test lights don't check it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    Check it again.
    I was wireing in my Caddi Tail lights and found that the wire colors are very strange.
    The black ended up being hot and the orange was ground????? I had to check it 3-4 times (and slap the meter around a bit) to convice myself and I am an electrical engineer.

I'll have him use the meter again to check it, I will also make sure the connection is good. Maybe since it was a little dark when we were doing it we could have missed the minus sign.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RShrimp View Post
    Check it again.

RShrimp,

I'm not trying to confuse anyone; but, if you disconnect one of the turn signals behind the dash and place the voltmeter across the two terminals (not going to the light) and the meter has a small "-" showing, you have the leads reversed. On my digital meter I have a red and black; red being positive. So, if the meter is showing the "-" symbol, the black lead from the meter has caught the positive side.

Of course the spyder ignition is set to run and the turn signal is on.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check the connection on the right side under the cluster. The Spyder turn signal is wired backwards on the right side. Magic Man told me to make sure to tap into the wire on the BIKE side of the connector that goes out to the turn signal on the mirror.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default thanks!

Got it, thanks! Got the mudflap lights on too! Thank you everyone!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda B View Post
    Got it, thanks! Got the mudflap lights on too! Thank you everyone!
    Glad to hear it. I plan on installing the TIPS too; have the mudflap lights on already.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default volt gauge wireing

i have 2012 RT SE and am replacing the gauges (temp and gas). I m putting a volt gauge where the the old gas gauge was and wondering about the wiring.
    There is a red and a black and a blue on a plug and a lone red wire i presume went to the light in the gauge. I want to put in a Performance volt gauge from Prosport and use the white in the day and amber at night. wire instructions are as follows: Red =12v accessory power ( i assume to go to the red wire from the original plug) BLACK =Ground negative (to black wire from plug) WHITE =Engine accessory power (NOW NOT SURE) ORANGE = Parking light. meaning a power source that has 12v power when parking lights are turned on.( NOT REAL SURE WHERE THIS ONE SHOULD GO ETHER). It says to use the white for the daytime and the amber mode for the night i am to wire the to acc power and the amber to parking lamp. WTF im lost. can anyone help please