La Grande, Oregon "In The Blue Mountains, On The Oregon Trail"
    Spyder Garage

Default Hello From Oregon Territory.

Mike and Chris here, in La Grande, Oregon. What a wealth of information I've gathered from this forum--I've been following this web site since last summer. Short story--moved to Oregon from Minneapolis in '78. Spent the next 30 years working commercial motor carrier traffic at weigh stations and on patrol for the Oregon D.O.T., Motor Carrier Enforcement Division. (Hovdestar doesn't mean I'm stuck on myself--it means I wore a State star for 30 years.) I've been a Blue Knight since '97, and rode Honda for 30 years, but Chris and I both love our 2012 Spyder RT-S.

Two recent hiccups, though. Hiccup #1--had the Limp Home mode show up. When I was at home! I did the hit the mode button thing, and turned the key off, in order to listen to the RT's radio while in the garage. The display would show Limp Home, and then go back to normal, and then back to Limp Home. It did this several times, while I was just listening to the radio in the garage.

Hiccup #2--This one was rather disconcerting. While riding this afternoon, I had the SSD (dreaded Sudden Spyder Death syndrome) happen. At a whopping 250 miles on the odo, my Spyder just killed. Totally shut down, for no apparent reason. Fortunately, there was a wide bicycle lane that I was able to pull into. Pulled the key, and after about three minutes, I was able to do a restart. The dealer has already been contacted, and said they had just had another 2012 RT-S do the same thing on a customer, and that they would do the BUDS, and reprogram, thing. I figured I'd just wait until the 600 mile service to have this accomplished, since the dealer is 120 miles away, in Kennewick, Washington.

Take care, and keep the good information coming. Thank you all! <M>

magical member
    Spyder Garage

, I hope the quick buds update will fix the hiccups.

you only have get to 480 for your service, by the time you get to the dealer after that you'll be at that magic 600 mark. However personally I wouldn't wait that long, 240 mile round trip sounds like a nice morning ride, I would get it check over, having it die on the highway could be very daunting.

harry

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Welcome to the SpderHood

Hiccup #1 isn't a hiccup at all, its BRP programming Don't ask me why, but that is the "normal operation" if you shut the Spyder down while holding down the mode button to listen to the radio, the screen will FLASH the LIMP HOME MODE but in this situation, it doesn't mean a thing since the Spyder isn't running. Just do what you did & your fine. Just remember, after doing such, its a good idea to either go for a nice spirited ryde, making sure to keep your RPMs above 4500 so the magneto can recharge your somewhat depleted battery or hook it up to a battery tender. Its been reported before of running the battery and leaving the Spyder for a while & coming back & not having enough juice to get it started again.

As for your second issue, I'd agree, that's even more dangerous than having the Limp Home Mode kick in, at least you'd still have some power, but the machine completely shutting down is a disaster waiting to happen. Curious if you've checked your battery terminals (at the battery, not the jumpers under the seat) to ensure they are tight? Could be a possible reason. Hope they get it figured out for you sooner than later.

Enjoy the Ryde Dave & Teddy~

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the messages! And, with 250 miles on the odo, I haven't checked the battery connections, but will, and might get to the dealer before the 600 mile service, too. Bye. <M>

Spyder Garage

Good advice given so far. Hope you get the issues solved quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It happened to me too when I had mine at 50 miles. Help me a lot by reading my owners manual, and reading all the do and don't forum post. Mostly it happened to me coz

lack of familiarity of my RT. Now

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

and hope all is corrected and your back running hassle free..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Follow Up.

Got the Spyder back from the 600 mile service yesterday. Sure glad I checked the right panel at the dealer (good tip picked up from this forum, so thanks)--it would have blown off on the way home, since the right panel didn't have the upper tab seated properly. Also had some warranty work done; instrument cluster replaced (dirty from the inside of the glass), bouncing fuel guage replaced, left passenger floorboard rubber pad replaced (since it was disintegrating), and they hooked up the cable for the storage compartment so that it can be locked, which hadn't worked since initial set up. Had XM installed, and the tech. re-routed the C.B. wiring, since it wasn't installed properly upon initial set up.

I think the BUDS update may have taken care of the Sudden Spyder Death Syndrome. Had a stall at a stop light, plus a stall at a fuel pump on the way to the dealer, in addition to a stall at speed. Absolutely no hiccups in heading the 120 miles home from the dealer, and the dealer is located in Kennewick, WA. The Spyder ran like a turbine all the way home. Even when surrounded by 30 Harley's. Thought it might go into "Limp Home" mode due to all the noise and vibratin' going on, but the Harley riders all passed and sped off around me--but, curiously, nobody waved. Hmmmmmm......

Encountered some of the WORST winds that I have EVER ridden in, when heading home from the dealer. Kind of wished I'd had a seatbelt kind of winds. Hanging on with almost 40 mph hour wind gusts hitting from my right side was just not fun, especially when crossing the Columbia River bridge on I-82 near Umatilla, Oregon. Hit rain heading over the Blues, and noticed the rain water was falling off from the OUTSIDE corners of the front mudflaps. Nice. Don't know if that's the design of the fenders/mudguards, or if it's from aerodynamics, but it was nice not to have the rain splashing up and onto me. <M>

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you're back on the road again. Stayed in La Grande Fri. night on the way back from SpyderFest. Five weeks and 8,000 + miles. You're right, yesterday, the Gorge was WINDY! Good to be back in beautiful Oregon. Give me a shout if you find yourself in Newberg this summer. Great riding around here.

Ride in comfort,
    John
    Seal Floorboards