Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Okay, your selfish

Quote Originally Posted by bhfromme View Post
    Call me selfish but I love reading these stories so much I am bringing this thread back to the top. Keep the stories coming. It's good reading!

Bill
    and I really enjoy these stories too
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Spyder Garage

Default Sometime in 2007

Appleton Post-Cresent newspaper had a short story about the Spyder, early fall of 07. By April 08 I had all of the literature Rob's Performance had on the bike. Took a test ride in May, wanted the yellow version and waited for BRP to get more out to the dealers. Rob's called me in early June and reported they had 2 yellow Spders available. Paid for her on a Thursday, and left her at the dealership as a 100 Year rain storm was hitting. Flooded the roads south of Robs, and I-94 heading west out of Milwaukee, so I waited until late Friday and was able to work some back roads to bring her home. Went almost 18 years without a bike as the wife was "no bike -we have two kids to raise". The safety features of the Spyder won her over. 56,000 miles later and WAITING on Spring to finally get here.
    Very Happy Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Needed a pack mule for longer trips, and too young for *shudder* a Goldwing or Harley.

Went to a dealer to look at a VFR1200 sport tourer, and the wifey spots the yellow RS and says.. "I like it, let's test ride that." So we two-upped it from the dealer and I had a browse through the accessories catalog, and the rest is history. I still ride my two wheelers, but for long day trips, overnighters and beyond, the Spyder is it.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just had to have it

I saw my first on the net back in 2000 still on the drawing board but I knew that I wanted one then late 2007 or 2008 I got a notice that there would be one in the Denver Metro area so a buddy and I took off work and went 45 miles north of downtown Denver to see this thing and it looked better than it did on th net WOW at that time you could order a yellow one for $15000 I told the guy if I could afford it I would buy 2 but it was not to be ya know how that goes then later in 2008 we got the Truck loaded with Spyder for a CAN AM test Ride day so the Buddy and I took off work and went down to Castle Rock Colorado for the test ride turns out it was just a ride around the block maybe 10 miles. I was very dissapointed with the distance but very excited about the Spyder So I got back in line 4 more times then I went home and got the better half to see what she thought we did that same 10 mile ride the Boss enjoyed the ride so we looked at the cost and finances again it was not to be . Well its 2012 things are looking up and the Boss says we can do it know so it will be payed off before I retire SO I went out the the Dealer 48 miles from home and made my purchase a Neutron Green Matilic/Satin Black RS S SE5 tour windsheld 4.5 inch bar risers Rack and Back Rest I picked up Saddle Bages from a shop in Canada the same one I got my Trailer Hitch from Wow things are realy shaping up so sad I just missed Durango. We took a ride from Colorado to Mt Rushmore then over to Devils Tower
    and home We found we needed a trailer so I got a Harbor Freight Tag along and, WE ARE READY FOR SPYDERFEST Heading out from Castlr Rock on the 22nd stop over in Pratt Kansas then on to Springfield on the 23rd Cant wait.
    Last edited by jtpollock; 03-27-2013 at 01:16 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here is my story:

I am a youngin' and a newbie to motorcycles and my boyfriend LOVES them. He was always a cruiser kinda guy and last year he bought a Ninja 250 and let me drive it around a parking lot for a bit. I had never ever driven anything manual but I was intrigued by the open air feel of riding a motorcycle so about 2 weeks later I went and got myself a Red and black Ninja 250.....

The bad thing: I was so worried about remembering clutch: upshift, downshift- what gear am I in? Eeeek here comes a curve! This Ninja was just not for me. My boyfriend was not happy- he wanted to ride and ride WITH me (you don't find that very often these days) and I was just too chicken to do it. I only put 450 uneasy miles (NO SMILES) on the Ninja in 1 year.

I had seen commercials for the Can Am and luckily just paid my car off and I said 'Hey let's go get me a Can Am and I will always ride with you!' So we went up to our Honda dealer and there she was a BEAUTIFUL satin green/matte black RS just calling my name. I put a deposit on it so I could do some research into my budget and how much it would set me back and the next weekend I brought Green Meanie home with me. She's only been mine for almost 3 weeks but already has 250 miles on her and just waiting for it to warm up this weekend so I can put many more miles on her!

Yay for the my Dad is sooo jealous of me now (and he is a strict Harley lover)!

GreenMeanie.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jtpollock View Post
    I saw my first on the net back in 2000 still on the drawing board but I knew that I wanted one then late 2007 or 2008 I got a notice that there would be one in the Denver Metro area so a buddy and I took off work and went 45 miles north of downtown Denver to see this thing and it looked better than it did on th net WOW at that time you couls order a yellow one for $15000 I told the guy if I could afford it I would buy 2 but it was not to be ya know how that goes then later in 2008 we got the Truck loader with Spyder for a CAN AM test Ride day so the Buddy and I took off work and went down to Castle Rock colorado for the test ride tourn out it was just a ride around the block maybe 10 miles. I was very dissapointed with the distance but very excited about the Spyder So I got back in line 4 more times then I went home and got the better half to see what she thought we did that same 10 mile ride the Boss enjoyed the ride so we looked at the cost and finances again it was not to be . Well its 2012 things are looking up and the Boss says we can do it know so it will be payed off before I retire SO I dent out the the Dealer 48 miles from home and made my purchase a Neutron Green Matilic/Satin Black RS S SE5 4.5 inch risers Rack and Back rest I picked up Saddle Bages from a shop in Canada the same one I got my Trailer Hitch from Wow things are realy shapinag up so sad I jusr missed Durango. We took ma ride from Colorado to Mt Rushmore then over to Devils Tower
    and home We found we deeded a trailer so I got a Harbor Freight Tag along and, WE ARE READY FOR SPYDERFEST Heading out from Castlr Rock on the 22nd stop over in Pratt Kansas then on to Springfield on the 23rd Cant wait.

Loved your story, but wow . . . Take a breath, already.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife is terrified of two wheelers (the last time we rode together was just after we got married in 1981!) so owning a motorcycle was never an option for us. I first saw the Spyder in late '09 or early '10 and knew I would get one one way or another. About 3 months after I first saw them we were in Brown County, IN when a pair of Spyders went by. My wife commented on how cool they looked and I knew the time was right! We went to "look" at one in August of '11 and I drove it home the next day. My wife keeps wanting to learn to drive it now - I told her she has to get her own!

Spyder Garage

Default Wife instructions

After three parking lot tip overs in three years, the wife decreed any rides requiring more than a day for her to come get me would require hauling the bike to where I wanted to ride.

When the school started requiring a 40 mile one way commute two days a week, she further decreed that I had to get that Spyder I had been talking about for a couple of years.

Bought an RTS the next day. After two weeks and 1300 mile/smiles the BMW is up for sale.
    SS1000, BB1500
    Pain is temporary, Pride is forever

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

The moment I saw one....made perfect sense to me, "I can take an atv on the road!"

I'm well known in the can am atv world...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermyke990 View Post
    Way back when I was about 10, (about 1980)I my parents had a couple of 250 Yamaha enticer sleds, I was curious about dirt bikes, and already had a fixation on John Deere tractors(don't ask why, I just did lol), but I was way to small for my age and thus a little too short of inseam to be comfortable on even an 80cc bike. Anyhow, I was leafing through an old farm magazine and came upon an ad from a company called "mini wheels" selling kits to convert snowmobiles into 4wheeled atv's. I kept drawing pictures of such a setup but with big balloon tires and turn signals to make it street legal. Then in '83 I discover 3wheeled atv's and that bece my new obsession. For the next 29 years it evolved into 4 wheelers, and in 2007 I seen an article in dirt wheels about BRP experimenting with prototypes for a spyder, and it looked exactly like I had envisioned years ago, but with 1 fat wheel in the back.

I still hung on to the quad wheelers, but kept watching as brp continually developed their line of spyders, and in 2009 I bought a can am renegade x, which was my intro to the brp family. About a year ago, me & my dad were talking, and I was complaining about the ever- dwindling riding areas in NYS, and he suggested getting a spyder, since we both noticed an increasing amount of them on the road. I went and got my m/c license this past October, and this week I will pickup my brand new, fully farkled yellow sts(same exact color scheme as the 2 Yamaha tri motos I had back in the 80s), and ryde it home.
    How cool - you were drawing pictures of them before they even existed!

About 1972 was my first intro to motorized fun vehicles when my father purchased a Homelite snowmobile. (Yes Homelite made snowmobiles!) I was about 11 years old and in the next couple of years was thrilled when I got to drive the thing myself. Very fond childhood memories of riding that thing wide open across frozen Witt Lake, or pulling some other kids in sleds up the toboggan hill for their next run. That was in Barrington, IL. At 15 years old we moved to Arkansas and I figured I would never see a snowmobile again. But I got a Honda 185cc three wheeler and had a blast on the dirt trails and gravel roads of the time. Back then the suspension was just balloon tires not filled with too much pressure. Later upgraded to a Honda 250SX 3-wheeler - that one was smooth with real suspension. Really loved the 3--wheelers and never had the same feeling for 4-wheelers even though I had one. From about 25 to 45 years of age I had nothing - then bought a Harley. Traded it for another Harley. Was just thinking about getting a 3rd Harley when I went to a dealer and looked at the 2012 Spyders. The salesman said "you're going to keep coming in here until you have one of these." Sold the Harley. Went to Len's grand opening, and soon after bought a 2013 ST-S, yellow. Wow. What technology now but 40 years later and that same feeling and thrill of riding that Homelite snowmobile for the first time.