Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    That is not actually a kit. It is a part, without the means of making a complete braking system. Beware!

We have been told most shops can install the part and make a working kit out of it. Our local delaership has used this part to do another handbrake - we used the ISCI kit since nothing else available. Wish there was even with disability discount the setup is expensive. It's the only way I can ride though so worth the cost to me.
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Givi Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Brembo hand brake starter kit?

Well then it appears to be a a brake lever with a attached master cylender with a braided line to rout down to a needed slave cylender and the ISCI parts kit to do a complete kit.
    Whats the point in having a brembo brake lever and master cylender and no way to make the system functional to work with the existing foot brake come on guys build it as a complete kit or leave it to the engineers at ISCI to give us a complete ready to bolt up proven system (That Works).
    To me the ISCI kit is worth every penny that it costs in development to bring a much needed hand braking kit to those Spyder lovers that have a need for it.
    Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the second one that was made and it is still working like new.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

BRP needs to make a hand brake standard equipment on all Spyders. Why not have it stock?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bootie View Post
    NOT.
    The ISCI Handbrake is one of the BEST aftermarket add-ons for the Spyder. It is much better than the cable-actuated brake that Can Am used to sell. It is expensive but worth every penny.
    Cam Am never sold a cable brake for the Spyder. I made one for myself and BajaRon but I never felt good about it because cables do break. ISCI is the way to go for sure.

Spyder Garage

If you didn't care for the parking brake portion of the kit. It looks like it would not be hard to set up a brake on the handlebars. Just get a regular front brake master off a regular motorcycle (ebay or wrecker) and order a brake line the length that you need. The new brake line can go on top of the one coming out of the original master by your foot, you would need a longer banjo bolt.
    This is a project I have been thinking about since we purchased my wife's Spyder. first time I drove it I almost hit our trailer because I went for the hand brake only to find there was none. The hand brake would also be great for long cruses on her GS so she can have her feet on the highway pegs and not have to worry about having to bring her feet back to hit the brake.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well.. it seems someone already asked about the Brembo kit to no avail. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post506266
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

sent my mechanic the link to the brakes and he said he can install on spyder, no problem..he has done tons of sports bike with this sort of brake. I just want to find out if its reliable . Either way I am trying this year to use the foot brake and hopefully will have enough $ saved up by winter to order a system to have install on Floyd (new name for bike..as in pink Floyd) during winter months

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    If you didn't care for the parking brake portion of the kit. It looks like it would not be hard to set up a brake on the handlebars. Just get a regular front brake master off a regular motorcycle (ebay or wrecker) and order a brake line the length that you need. The new brake line can go on top of the one coming out of the original master by your foot, you would need a longer banjo bolt.
    This is a project I have been thinking about since we purchased my wife's Spyder. first time I drove it I almost hit our trailer because I went for the hand brake only to find there was none. The hand brake would also be great for long cruses on her GS so she can have her feet on the highway pegs and not have to worry about having to bring her feet back to hit the brake.
    That idea has merit, although the Spyder master cylinder has two circuits (F/R) as opposed to a motorcycle with separate F/R circuits. There would have to be a way to split the hydraulic pressure across both circuits but that may require more line pressure than a standard MC front brake master can output. Unless you intend the handbrake to operate just the front pair of calipers, like a MC. OTOH, if the Spyder master cylinder share a common chamber, pressure applied through one banjo bolt would transfer to the other circuit.
    Last edited by asp125; 03-21-2013 at 12:51 PM.
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    That idea has merit, although the Spyder master cylinder has two circuits (F/R) as opposed to a motorcycle with separate F/R circuits. There would have to be a way to split the hydraulic pressure across both circuits but that may require more line pressure than a standard MC front brake master can output. Unless you intend the handbrake to operate just the front pair of calipers, like a MC. OTOH, if the Spyder master cylinder share a common chamber, pressure applied through one banjo bolt would transfer to the other circuit.
    After discussing this with my cousin, who is a mechanic, he told me the same thing. I would not be able to hook into the main master cylinder. When the masters are at rest the fluid can flow. So, if you put on the brake on the handle bars the fluid would just flow into the main master and pop the tops off of the reservoirs. Back to the drawing board.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kawakii View Post
    Wish there was even with disability discount the setup is expensive. It's the only way I can ride though so worth the cost to me.
    Get in touch with the folks at ISCI; they might be able to help if you explain your situation...
    Good Luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    After discussing this with my cousin, who is a mechanic, he told me the same thing. I would not be able to hook into the main master cylinder. When the masters are at rest the fluid can flow. So, if you put on the brake on the handle bars the fluid would just flow into the main master and pop the tops off of the reservoirs. Back to the drawing board.
    Yeah, you'd pretty much need a couple of inline check valves and fittings on the reservoir taps strong enough to resist the hydraulic pressure. By the time all is said and done, it might be as costly as the ISCI kit.
    Last edited by asp125; 03-22-2013 at 02:34 PM.
    JLohPhotos

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    That idea has merit, although the Spyder master cylinder has two circuits (F/R) as opposed to a motorcycle with separate F/R circuits. There would have to be a way to split the hydraulic pressure across both circuits but that may require more line pressure than a standard MC front brake master can output.
    Some bikes have linked brakes also -- my brother has a VFR with F/R linked. I haven't ever bothered to look to see what system they use.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by motoford View Post
    Some bikes have linked brakes also -- my brother has a VFR with F/R linked. I haven't ever bothered to look to see what system they use.
    My VTX 1800 Also had linked brakes, When you hit the front brake it would also apply the rear brake ,But with reduced pressure. For full breaking all around you would hit both brakes. But that bike cost me 10 k new [03]
    Don't know if they could afford to put linked brakes on a 28k Trike.

Spyder Garage

Default Can am Spyder RS handbrake

Quote Originally Posted by strictlyred View Post
    I am in Canada and am newly disabled, legs are not working properly.i will need a hand brake but the cost of shipping here with taxes etc seems outrages.. I too would like to know if there are any Canadian options..
    Would shipping and taxes be any less is ISCI shipped it to someone in the USA and then they shipped to you ? Just wondering. Or do you know so,done taking a trip into the states that can bring it back into Canada for you ?
    2013 RS-S Neutron Green/Black, Shark RSR2 helmet, Shark Evoline 3 helmet, Sena SMH20, Corbin Seat, Wheelchair Rack, Trunk Liner, STL Handlebars, Web Boards Driver Floorboards, backrest, BRP Givi Saddlebags, ISCI Handbrake

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    My VTX 1800 Also had linked brakes, When you hit the front brake it would also apply the rear brake ,But with reduced pressure.
    ...1983 GoldWing... Linked braking system, and it might have been the first practical application of it...
    Hit the pedal and you got the rear brakes plus ONE caliper up front.
    You'd grab the lever to add the 2nd caliper to the situation.

It also had a built-in anti-dive setup for the front as well...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THIS BRAKING PROBLEM ?????

Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-25-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default cost of doing business

If you think the price is to high just think about the costs for liability insurance. When you are in business you know you will be sued sooner than later. Part of the costs of products is attributed to cover current and future legal fees.
    I have had an ISCI hand brake on my 08 GS/M5 for years and love.
    When life throws you a curve - aim for the apex.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ISCI's setup is the hot ticket!
    I only mentioned my 'Wing, because the idea of linking things up goes back 30 years or more...

Spyder Garage

Default YOUR FOLLOW-UP POST

Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ISCI's setup is the hot ticket!
    I only mentioned my 'Wing, because the idea of linking things up goes back 30 years or more...
    The concept of linked brakes grew because riders often don't apply separate front and rear brakes safely, effectively, or wisely sometimes. The linked brakes (and later adjustable logic) increased braking system effectiveness overall, by taking the operator out of the equation to a large extent. The Spyder does not have separate front and rear brakes, so it does not need to have a linked system (or a hand brake to operate part of it). The VCM deals with which brake needs what pressure, combining ABS capability with directional braking assistance when the need arises. A hand brake can be useful (or necessary) to a rider who has accessories that remove his or her foot from close proximity to the foot brake, or for those who have physical limitations. For the average rider, however, especially a novice, they are a distraction and could even be considered a liability. I don't see any need for them to be standard equipment, but I am glad ISCI has seen fit to fill the void safely and effectively for those that desire or need one.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Scotty,
    that really started sounding like Math again...
    math.jpg
    I am also getting closer to that time in my life, where I'll need that lever up on top...
    So I'm REAL thankful that ISCI has my back...

Spyder Garage

I looked at the ISCI setup and it is a great design and well thought out. That being said, I don't think the product is worth what they are selling it for. I can see that the limited market is a reason for the price but I calculated the parts to build the device at around $200 and not having $1250 to spend on something like this, I will have to come up with something else. I know they use a proprietary slave cylinder but after talking it over with some people who know a thing or two about hydraulics. We concluded that you could use a clutch slave cylinder instead as well as a hand brake with a master for dual callipers. The design ISCI uses is really good but it can be improved on. This will definitely be a project worth looking into. Don't worry, I don't intend on selling anything, this is for my own personal satisfaction. I love a challenge like this.

Spyder Garage

Default OUT OF THE BOXER ?????

Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 03-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.

Spyder Garage

Smile Safety First

I for one want to known my brakes are going to work. I have ISCI Handbrake on order for my bike. I have seen them in person and talked to people that use them. I want to know that I am installing (actually having a mechanic) the safest items. I don't want to mess around with brakes. I just want to have fun when I am riding and not have to worry if my brakes are going to work.