Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Sway Bar Owners Notice - Please Read

It has come to my attention that a few RT Sway Bar customers have had an issue with bolt length on the bar end to Heim Link Joint connection (#27). This situation does not appear to be wide spread but I do not want it to occur at all.

I am not sure if the problem is due to a variation in bolt length, bar width or a combination of the two. None of the RT's I installed this bar on had this issue. It is very important that the bolt is long enough so that threads extend past the end of Nylock nut. Any amount of thread beyond the end of the Nylock nut is sufficient.

At the risk of blowing this out of proportion I want to address it here on Spyderlovers. If you have an RT Sway Bar installed on your Spyder, please check for the following POSSIBLE condition. This is by no means universal and you will most likely find that your install is fine. If not the fix is quick and easily done.

This Issue DOES NOT exist on any of the RS, GS or RS-S Sway Bar installs.

The Nylon insert in these nuts are designed to overcome vibration and prevent the nut from backing off the bolt. If the bolt threads do not extend beyond the end of the Nylock nut this 'locking' action does not occur and it is possible that the nut could come off.

All current and future RT Sway Bar kits will come with a set of extended bolts to prevent any possibility of this occurring in the future. But I want any current RT Sway Bar owner to be very sure that this condition does not exist on their Spyder.

If you have one of my RT Sway Bar mounted to your Spyder I encourage you to check your Heim Link Joint to Bar End nuts/bolts right away. This is very easy to check, very easy to determine and very easy to correct if the condition does exist.

If you do need to install the longer bolts there is nothing more to remove or disassemble. This connection is easily accessed without having to make any other changes.

This is the connection we are looking for at the end of the Sway Bar. Your bar will be black and mount to the inside of the Heim Link joint. You just need to determine if there are threads extending beyond the nut on the inside of this connection.

If you have just a thread of two extending beyond the end of the nut as shown in this picture, the connection is good and the nut is working as designed. You may have more bolt threads than this extending beyond the nut and this is also fine. The only condition that is not good is to have no threads extending beyond the end of the nut as shown in the picture below this one.

No threads extending beyond the nut is not acceptable and needs to be corrected. (Picture Below)

There are NO bolt threads extending beyond the nut in this picture. This is the condition that we want to correct. If your install looks like this you need a set of extended bolts. Close is good enough in hand grenades and horse shoes... this is neither!

If you have already installed one of my Sway Bars on your RT model Spyder and you find this to be an issue, or if you are not sure or have any questions please PM me here at Spyderlovers or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com right away. If needed I will send a set of extended bolts right out to you.

If you have purchased one of my RT Sway Bar kits and you have not yet installed it, please PM me here at Spyderlovers or email me at fyredad@hotmail.com and I will send you the extended bolt set to avoid any possible issues during your install.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-27-2013 at 01:40 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Ron!
    I'll keep an eye on it during installation... But I doubt that there'll be any difficulties!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Great job..!!

That's keeping on top of things. Great to have venders who keep abreast and follow up on ever issue. Thanks Ron..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ron was proactive and sent me an extended bolt set to head off any problems my dealer may have with installing my sway bar. this is the unparalled customer service he provides and i, as a customer, appreciate very much. ron is truly all about customer service and customer satisfaction!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks Ron!
    I'll keep an eye on it during installation... But I doubt that there'll be any difficulties!
    If you have not installed it I'd like to send you a set of extended bolts. You don't want to wait until the end of the install to find that you need the bolts.

A set will be in the mail to you tomorrow. Doing it right is the only way to do it....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Are the bars you are currently shipping being sent with the longer bolts ?---Budro

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by budro View Post
    Are the bars you are currently shipping being sent with the longer bolts ?---Budro
    Yes, all RT Sway Bars being shipped as of today will include the extended bolts. Even if you don't need them it won't hurt to use them.

RS series bars will not include the extended bolts as there is no possibility of this issue with the RS series bar kit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ron - - can this be inspected without taking off the Spyderpops bump skid?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Inspection with BumpSkid

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    Yes .... it can. I just used a mirror and flashlight, so didn't even have to lift the trike up.
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    No, you don,t need to remove the bump skid to see the bar end bolts.

Spyder Garage

I haven't yet ordered a set, but this kind of proactive concern says a lot about your company and your concern for your customers. There are no shortage of very large companies who could learn from your example.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    If you have not installed it I'd like to send you a set of extended bolts. You don't want to wait until the end of the install to find that you need the bolts.

A set will be in the mail to you tomorrow. Doing it right is the only way to do it....
    I keep telling folks that you're one of the good guys. and then you go and prove me RIGHT!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I keep telling folks that you're one of the good guys. and then you go and prove me RIGHT!
    You're always right Bob, we all know that!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not always...
    I once thought that I had made a mistake; it turned out that I was actually right the first time!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope all that are concern will get this information. this is very helpful notes.

Spyder Garage

This 'Short Bolt Problem' seems to be more widespread than I thought. Though no dangerous condition has been found by anyone with a short bolt, if you have installed one of my earlier RT Custom Sway Bar Kits, please check the Sway Bar End to Heim Link Joint connections if you have not already. I will send you a set of extended bolts if you request them.

You can PM me here at Spyderlovers.com or you can email me at fyredad@hot mail.com

Either way works fine.

All kits shipped since March 1 of this year have included the necessary Extended Bolts so if you received one of these kits your install is not affected.

This condition does not exist for any of my custom performance RS, GS, RS-S sway bar kits.

Everyone ride safe this year!
    Last edited by BajaRon; 03-10-2013 at 08:48 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Ron, what size bolts? No sense in you sending some if I can chase them down. Sorry to pick your brain but I don't feel like going out to the barn in the rain and laying on the floor.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Ron, what size bolts? No sense in you sending some if I can chase them down. Sorry to pick your brain but I don't feel like going out to the barn in the rain and laying on the floor.
    Yeah Me Too (actualy i don't have a barn)

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bolts

Syderpops installed mine and the bolts are the longer ones. Thanks for the info.
    15 rt , yes Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ron sent the replacement bolts out same day I PMed him. The change out took just a few minutes, seemed to take longer to move things around in the garage and put the Spyder on the ramps. Great follow up by Ron. Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine are too short. Email sent. Thanks Ron Good Job. I had been looking for longer bolts but had not found any as yet. Never thought of asking you... My bad..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: RT Sway Bar Owners Notice - Please Read

Ron, I received the replacement bolts you sent me. I haven't put them on yet though. Will do that this week. Thanks!

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When I fitted by Swaybar I changed all the bolts out for Stainless Steel ones

I did ask Ron the following :-

I have checked the BRP Parts section for my 2010 Spyder RT-S SE5 Models and it lists the following bolt sizes

4 x M8 x 20 - Bolts to hold the brackets -Bushing clamp bolts - No 24
    2 X M8 x 40 - Bolts for the Heim joint link to swaybar bolts - No 27

I know Ron's bar is slightly larger in diameter but will the above bolts be the correct size - I intend to use Locknuts on them so I want to be sure the bolts comes pass the locknut insert to give the correct fitting

I went with the M8 X 40 I used a S/S Washer and a normal S/S Nyloc nut as I could not get a S/S Flange type Nyloc nut
    I have about 2 1/2 threads though the S/S Nyloc nut

You could go for these type and cut them down to 45mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-x-50-STAINLESS-S-S-A2-GRADE-HEXAGON-HEX-FLANGE-HEAD-BOLTS-BIKES-/380536377986?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Nails_Fixing_MJ&ha sh=item5899bc5282

I did find M8 X 40mm enough but the extra 10mm would be too much
    sticking out the side unless you put a S/S dome nut on it to hide the excess thread
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Just bumping this up again. I want this to be visible for awhile longer so everyone gets the chance to see it.

Several have asked me for the specs on the replacement bolts.

The stock bolts are M8 x 1.25 mm x 40 mm

The replacement bolts I'm sending out are M8 x 1.25 mm x 50 mm. These are Grade 8, Flanged Head, Shouldered bolts. If you get your own I highly recommend retaining these features (though they may be difficult to find in this configureation).

Of course you can get them from me for no charge by PM'ing me here or emailing me at fyredad@hotmail.com

Spyder Garage

Ron, our dealer - East Tennessee ATV in Elizabethton, TN- just got our sway bar in yesterday or today (March 14 or 15) I'm thinking the longer bolts are already included, correct? They are likely working on the install later today or Monday.
    2016 RTS