Spyder Garage

Default Yes I'm still alive!

Hello all, long time no post...... Really miss all you guys.... life has just been pretty overwhelming (in good and bad ways) lately.

Many changes in my life have temporarily put my Spyder activity on the back burner... but rest assured I still have my 2012 Blue RT and like it very much.

While I really like my new RT, something kind of died when I lost my PE# 1977. I haven't had the same enthusiasm about this Spyder as I did the old one, perhaps because it doesn't need much modified on it.... I've done a handful of mods, but it just doesn't feel the same as wrenching on the original model. I love the ride and the creature features for sure.

The last 6 months have been very life changing for me, mostly for the better, but some very difficult trials and tribulations to deal with. My mother has had some serious medical issues that have become part of my daily routine for the past few months. Hopefully we're just about out of the woods and things will calm down, but free time is something I'm running really short on these days. Fitting riding back into my schedule will be great, although I won't be racking up the miles like I used to.

I have various conflicts for Spyderfest and am unsure if I can make it, or my annual big trip with my HD buds.. but the owners event looks very doable.

Here's a couple of photos of some of the good life changes I've had. The little guy is 5, his name is AJ and he loves the Spyder and short rides around the neighborhood. The pretty girl is 8 and her name is Stella. Stella is severely autistic and is mostly non-verbal. The Spyder instantly broke her out of her shell as she came running right out to it and jumped up on it. No rides for her, unless I can find a safe way to do it where she'll stay put. These two, along with their wonderful mother, take up much of my time now... along with trying to keep my business ventures running smoothly and try to make a buck here and there... which in Michigan is no easy task right now.

If you've never spent time around someone who is severely autistic, I highly recommend it. It's amazing the connection you can make and the different ways of human communication that can happen. This is a portion of our society that is growing and really deserves better treatment options. Fortunately with various changes in healthcare, both nationally and in Michigan, insurance companies will now be covering more services for those with ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder).

One thing I would ask of people, the next time you see a child screaming in public or that appears out of control, don't assume there is bad parenting or that the child is simply a brat - the child in question may very well be autistic, and until you've been around it much, you really have no idea what these families deal with on a daily basis. The old adage 'Walk a mile in my shoes' is one that fits quite well. I had previously been around a niece with Asperger Syndrome, which is generally on the more functional side of ASD, but dealing with the severely autistic is a totally different thing. Very humbling and eye opening, yet rewarding to learn how to communicate and bring a smile to the face of an autistic child.

I'll try and not be such a stranger, but doubt I'll ever be able to participate at the levels I used to out here (which some might prefer.... ). Looks like I've got a lot of catch-up to do out here... I leave for a few months and all breaks loose..... Spyderfest moves, Len opens new dealership, New models released, Someguy learns to walk without tripping so much, etc.....

Hope all is well with everyone.. looking forward to re-connecting with everyone.AJ1.jpgstella1.jpgstella2.jpg

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Memorial Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice to see you are alive and well....Sorry to hear about your mom, but happy you have some other great people in your life that help you through it. Too bad you won't be a Spyderfest but it would be nice to see you down at the owners event. Don't be a stranger and get up of to speed now!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Spyder Owner Since June '08 & April '12

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have an autistic cousin and my brother was mentally handicapped. There were tons of challenges with them growing up, but nothing like the "normal" people I had to protect them from on a daily basis. People can be real jerks sometimes. Nice to see you on the forum again. Hope things settle down for you and your family and that you will have the freedom and time to enjoy other things as well, even if the new Spyder isn't it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've never met you...yet, but I sure do admire you! It sounds like you definitely have your priorities in order.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let me be among the first to welcome you back. I can appreciate why you have been away, hope Mom is doing better. I really like this post. You see, we have a special needs child as well. Your comment about the screaming child brought back many memories of stares, offhand comments and outright disgust from insensitive people. Although Amanda is not autistic we have had many of the same "behaviors" to deal with. School was a nightmare as far as getting services and one time I even had a private "heart to heart" talk with the high school principal. Let's just say that he made the right choice after our talk. I can be very convincing at times. She will be 29 next month and has grown out of many of the issues we had as she was growing up. It's still astruggle at times but we wouldn't trade her for anything. We are very involved in advocating for the special needs population. Bless you my friend, you have started on a difficult and wonderful journey.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice to hear from you. You have been missed. It will be nice to see you at Maggie Valley. I certainly hope your life settles down for you and things improve.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It is so nice to hear from you. Thanks for sharing such intimate details of what's been going on in your life. Only real friends share that way. We are honored that you chose to do so. Your friend's children are very fortunate to have such an understanding and intuitive person in their lives. It is clear that you enjoy the special relationship, too. Our prayers will go out for your mother. I hope things get under control soon. Hope to see you before Maggie Valley, but we'll be sure to see you then. Not home ourselves much lately, with the new house project and family matters, but maybe we can carve out time to stop by and say "Hi", or even meet you on the road if this infernal snow ever melts. Best wishes!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Great..!!

Great to hear from you. I'm new but have heard chatter from the resident gurus about you. Hope your trials and tribulations are tappering down and you get the much needed break in your hecktic routine. All the best...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Firefly my prayers goes out to you and your Mom and Family, I can understand what you are going through as in my Family we have both a Down Syndrome and Aspergers and it's a full time job for them. Did not even know you were not around that much and you had changed your Spyder, as for myself I have not been on the forum that much since last June 2012 when I had a motorcycle accident on my two wheeler will not go into details but I am doing much better now and walking again all thou with a cane. I look forward to the riding season even thou I might be spyderless and who knows what's in store for me riding.

Spyder Garage

Totally Awesome and great to here from you Firefly

The mother of those beautiful children is equally fortunate to have you in her life, you are a great Human Being. Really man.

I so connected with you through this forum and reading and understanding the passion in what you had and have to share. And to top it all off got to finally meet You at Spyderfest . Hope you can make this one, but understand if it' just not this time. Glad to also hear your Mom is out of the woods too!

TicketBait

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have certainly missed our playful sparring over unimportant things...
    Glad that you're back, and your Mom is in our Prayers!
    Let those two kids remain your focus; everything else will fall into place on it's own.
    And I STILL like the color of your bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for checking in Bro. Sounds like you have your hands full but as you say some blessings in there too.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for sharing a part of your life with us. And thanks for reminding me of a bit of introspection.

Chris

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

It's allways nice to hear from you, to many years of riding together memories...

zrc

Default ASD

ASD has some super far reaching effects and a much more "aware" grouping of people out there that are hearing and seeing more about it. I have been working with the handicapped and ASD diagonsed people for over 1/2 my life now. I started at 14, heck its been over 20 years. Anyway, I totally enjoy and love being with and around them. While I think various people that have degenerated social skills are "inserting" themselves into the high functioning aspergers group, I work with more severe and non-verbal ASD people. The rewards are great, and the help is amazing. But from people with Aspergers to people like Raymond in Rain Man to other highly effected non-verbal ASD people you will find many of them very amazing to be around and be with. Some friends more appropriately refer to them as Awe-tistic people. And it is really a true statement, I am in awe of what they can do and how they think, it is just different than your "average" person, and I am not to sure that they arent the better thinkers

Have a good time no matter where life takes you Dan, I think what you are really experiencing is that you were in an accident that could have been much much worse. So truth be told, you are learning to experience ALL life has to offer, from spydering to loving.

Have fun and dont be too safe, you might miss something.

On another note, I was led to believe you own a printing business, if you can and do print books of a hardback nature, shoot me a PM, I am looking for a printer of that fashion for a book soon.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Great post! It's amazing how the love of a child can have such a positive effect on your mind, soul, spirit & heart. They make me wanna be they best I can and then some!!

Wayne

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Bruiser could not have said it any better. When Amanda was born, we went through a little of the "why, God", but quickly changed to "why not?" She is our blessing, our gift from Him and even though we've gone through some rough times with her (and still do at times), she is our baby girl and always will be. I have worked with the day programs in the past, we both were coaches for Special Olympics, and it is a great community to be a part of.

You could not have expressed it any better, Firefly. They change your world and your outlook for the better! Take care and God bless!

426662_4964933895117_289438274_n.jpgOur baby girl!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh sure, take time to post on SpyderLovers while you haven't replied to my last 20 emails!!!

Seriously bro, this is a great post.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting and sharing.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the nice posts..... always comforting to hear from Spyder friends... old and new.

I have now registered for the Maggie Valley owners event - which shouldn't be a problem going.

I also registered for Spyderfest and hope that my schedule will work for me to come for at least a day or two. If I go I'll be burning some midnight oil and probably have to pull and all-nighter on Wednesday to get there... and then leave Saturday afternoon as I'm supposed to be in Nashville on Sunday and then need to be in New Orleans a few days later.

Spyder will be a rolling 4G hotspot this trip... which should help with work connections.....

Hope to see you all soon... and I just *might* have a pretty cool mod to show off.......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Hope to see you all soon... and I just *might* have a pretty cool mod to show off.......
    Oh sure ... Make us all wait to see it...

Glad to hear that you'll be "SpyderFesting" with all of us also!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Hey Dan
    Good to hear from you. Now that I'm "Spyderless" I'm not posting on here as often either. But I do check in often. Hope to see you at Spyderfest and if not, maybe Lamont's BBQ. We are planning a Smokies trip and hoping to sync it with the BBQ.

Spyder Garage

Another post putting things in their proper perspective. Thanks for reminding me what really matters.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Great post, glad to hear from you again. May God bless your Mom and the little ones. See you at Spyderfest.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great to hear from you, thanks for the update. Dale