Thread: Looking Hard

Spyder Garage

Default Looking Hard

I am in the process of researching the Spyder RT. I always like to get input into a product, and see if there are any trouble spots or issues that may be a decision breaker, one way or the other.
    I own a Victory Cross Country, and have found it to be bullet proof, but the wife is Leary riding on the back. A more stable platform might do the trick.
    my riding consists of vacation long distance touring, and daily use in the better weather.
    My question is would this be a good choice (RT) as far as being reliable and able to handle touring duty?
    Has anyone had any dealing's with Bob's Ski Do, good ,bad, or other wise.
    Thank's for any input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As with any new mechanized product; there can be "issues" that need addressing early-on...
    That haveing been said; I wouldn't dream of getting rid of my 2010 RT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steve0530 View Post
    I am in the process of researching the Spyder RT. I always like to get input into a product, and see if there are any trouble spots or issues that may be a decision breaker, one way or the other.
    I own a Victory Cross Country, and have found it to be bullet proof, but the wife is Leary riding on the back. A more stable platform might do the trick.
    my riding consists of vacation long distance touring, and daily use in the better weather.
    My question is would this be a good choice (RT) as far as being reliable and able to handle touring duty?
    Has anyone had any dealing's with Bob's Ski Do, good ,bad, or other wise.
    Thank's for any input.
    I was in the same situation as you about 3 1/2 months ago - riding two up was causing my wife concern and we were looking for a platform more stable that the H-D Ultra Classic so we bought the RT-S. After about five hundred miles, she told me she felt more comfortable on the H-D. I quickly realized that it was the ride difference that caused her to feel uncomfortable in a different way. It was a physics problem that has largely been addressed with Baja Ron's anti-sway bar, which really stabilized the bike. The two-hundred dollar, one hour swap out is a must.

The dynamics in turns between a two and three wheeler are so different. That being said, I love them both...and the Spyder is actually more fun.

Spyder Garage

Default Wouldn't go back

I was a 2-wheeler for years. Got a 2012 RTS and love it. I knew ahead of time that it gets mpg in the 30+\- range and it could be somewhat costly for routine maintenance if not doing it myself. I accept these facts.

I feel much safer on the Spyder. My wife wouldn't ride on my Harleys, but likes riding on the Spyder.

Find a good dealer and take a long test drive. It is different than a 2-wheeler. In my opinion; better at some things, worse at others.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd have to agree with Bernie above I had been on two wheels for over 30 years and my wife never rode with me. Now that I have an RT I can't get her off the back. No more guilt about long rides or taking multi day rides and lots of good times to share. Of course a lot less time in the strip bars LOL!!!

When looking for a good Local dealer i would walk right through the showroom right into the mechanics area. If they don't have a well trained, certified tech with the correct equipment you will be in for a pretty frustrating time with any serious repair issue. These are complex machines that 95% of the time work great for 1,000's of miles but that last 5% can be a real bummer if you Deal's tech does not have a clue as to what he is doing. BRP can be very helpful but if the dealer can't even ask the right questions of them they will never get the right answers. Some Dealers have great sales deals on Spyders, also Check with other Spyderlovers in your area as to their recomndatios as to dealers to buy a spyder in and Dealers to have them Serviced at.

magical member
    Spyder Garage

You're not too far from us, we're in Bellingham MA and Bob's is our dealer of choice. If you read the posts here most of the issues are poor dealer set ups and poor dealer support. I can safely say that Bob is a great dealer, I trust him and the techs there with out reservation.

We traded our Goldwing last spring for a 2012 RT Limited, as you know the Wing is arguably the best two wheeled touring machine out there. Very relabel, study long haul touring bike but I was getting board with it and was looking for a new ride, also with my wife on the short side she had issues climbing on and off. It was a chore each time, I would get on and brace the bike, she would climb on my floorboards, then hers, now a knee on the seat and twist with a little jump. It got to the point she stopped ridding with me.

Since the move to the Spyder we've had so much fun, enjoyed every moment she can climb on and off on her own, it's lower to the ground and just as comfortable as the Wing. We road more last year than we did over the past few years with the Wing.

Aemricade, Laconia, Spyder in the (hard to spell place in upper New York), Magog Canada, one very wet long weekend through Lake George, upper New York back down via Vermont and New Hampshire. Plus plenty of local rides to Newport, CT etc. The only things I had done last year where mods and the normal service at the prescribe intervals. Ran perfect every time, no issue at all, I would trust the spyder on any ride. Will be riding down to Maggie Valley in June for the Spyder owners event.

added: There are three dealers in MA for Spyders one I would never use, I've been in before and taken a look at accessories while passing. I have heard so many nightmare stories, one couple at a regular summer bike night I go to really wanted a Spyder. They where told by this dealer that there so popular and the limited so limited that they never sold at retail and wanted $4000 thousand over list price. They where so put off they ended up with a trike.

Harry
    Last edited by harrypottar; 02-24-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

After many miles on quite a few different 2 wheelers, last one being a Goldwing, riding single, we purchased a 2012 Spyder RT SE5, and now I ride 2-up most of the time and loving every mile with my sweetie riding behind me. I don't think you can go wrong with an RT for comfort and safety. We are both in our 70's and I know we would not heal as fast as we used to, and that is another reason we decided on an RT. Good luck on your decision, and whatever you decide, ride safe.

Spyder Garage

I went from a Harley to the RT. I loved the motorcycle but I love the Spyder too. My husband and I do a lot of long distance touring and the Spyder makes it easier for both of us. The storage capacity is so large that he doesn't have to strap luggage to his bike any more. I can carry everything we need. We don't worry about our belongings any more as all of the RT trunks/bags can be locked. I am stable in the rain and in those corners with hidden gravel. It is a blast to ride and I am very comfortable carrying passengers now. I never did that on the Harley. At the end of a long day I could ride more as the RT is comfortable but my hubby is ready to get off his bike! He usually rides to dinner with me on the RT. As a touring vehicle the RT is wonderful. The attention is draws is fun too!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I currently have a victory kingpin(04)I luv it but for 2-up the spyder wins by far.I have the Rt with the SE trans. and my wife(would not ride the KP)is always ready to go.Some negs.-not that many dealers but if you have a Vic you already have that problem.Gas milage-my vic gets 45mpg.My Spyder gets 30mpg.I change my own oil in the Vic..oo much plastic on the Spyder and i'm lost.I'm going to keep both as long as i can,but if one has to go it will be the Vic.

Spyder Garage

Default Looking Hard

I have a Vision Tour and an RT Limited. I believe the ride on the vision is a little more comfortable and the room for the pillion more significant. The difference really goes towards the ease of operation and the fact that you never have to worry about balance, sliding or falling over while parking the bike or stopped at the light. The Vic has more power and is arguably a cooler ride when trying to look cool. But if you want to enjoy the ride, go long distance and not worry about traction, rain, storage, or dropping your bike at a stoplight, go with the RT. But don't get rid of the CCT.

Spyder Garage

No complaints here as to the reliability of the . Have owned four now. 2008, 2009, 2010, and a 2011. The first two were GS/RS. The second two are RT's. I like the RT's better for touring. For me, a better, more comfortable riding position. I have not had any major mechanical issues with any of the four. Have over 58,000 combined miles on three of the four 's.

I have a good dealer that understands and knows ,s.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Your here..!!

You came to the right place. If any place can help this is it. I see many informative answers already. Sorry can't help my wife and I have the RS and love it...good luck and we will see you on one soon...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I own an 07 Victory Kingpin my wife wouldn't ride on it with me so I put a sidecar on it and in three years she rode in it once, I had been drooling over a Spyder RT for a couple of years and doing BRP demo rides, so last year she bought me a 2012 RT Limited for fathers day.
    Now she loves to ride with me, we hookup with the SRA-IE group and do lunch rides last one was to Palm Springs,CA and next Saturday it's Death Valley.
    We just last week passed our 54th anniv. and the week before my 75th b-day, I started riding at 14 on a Harley then Triumph and several others over the years.

I don't think the RT will ever be as comfortable as my Kingpin but the "FUN" factor outways some discomfort, the first thing I did was fabricate some floorboards then after a ride to Las Vegas I took off the killer seat and replaced it with a complete Corbin setup I found on ebay now it's more tolerable, just ordered a swaybar from Bajaron today.
    If I could do anything about redesigning the bike to be any better I would strech the frame 4 inches make the seat 4 inches longer throw the Rotax in the trash and replace it with a Triumph Thunderbird parallel twin 1600cc.

Find a dealer and do a long test ride it does take some getting used to, coming off a sidecar rig I was more comfortable with the handling of the RT.

Good Luck

Spyder Garage

Default Thank You Sooooo Much

Thank's to all of you that took the time to write in with your thoughts and advice. It look's like I picked the right folks to go to with a question! Thank's again.
    steve

Spyder Garage

We also went from the Ultra Classic to the RT with SE5. Wife is much more comfortable now as the rear seating arrangement cradles her.
    The down side of this is that she now rides the RT on occasion and I have to share sometimes.....
    The good part is getting to sell her Honda that she seldom used toward getting her own Spyder!

Spyder Garage

Default Got a new riding buddy with the RT

My wife never rode with me on my 2 wheeler, ever, but indicated she might if I could get a more stable ride. I took her to look and the RT and she said, after a complete check-out, “I would ride on the back of this”. So, I traded the 2 wheeler for the RT and we have been best riding buddies since. We have started a whole new chapter in our lives as retirees that I would never have guessed possible. Warning: She wasn’t satisfied to ride on the back of mine more than about 4 months before she informed me that she wanted to have her own RT. This was coming from someone that had NEVER ridden a MC before and would not allow me to while we were raising our kids. She feels so safe that she is actually going on highway and country road ventures with me and other riders. It is a center piece of our life and we are having the time of our life.The Spyder RT is a unique machine that allows everyone to enjoy the thrill of adventure on the road without worrying about most of the disasters that are part of the 2 wheel landscape. Good luck with your adventure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All things are already said and what is left is to welcome you and be part of our family who cares to each

others. Be safe riding and God Bless us all.

Spyder Garage

Many of the "two families" got their start from introducing someone to the as a passenger. The addition of the SE5 transmission, took care of the arguments of "I don't know how to shift that thing"--and the rest is history.

That happened to me in spring of 2009 and again last summer when I purchased a brand new 2011 in 2012 for Linda.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red