Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default check transmission on display

Does anyone with and SE5 have this problem: After going into reverse I get an "E" then "check transmission" on display with flashin N & R and check engine light on. I doesn't happen all the time but most of the time. The dealer hooked it up to the BUDS but said there were not default codes. They are still waiting on word from BRP. Been there since last week(Sat).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I GUESS THE SE5 HAS LOTS OF BUGS ALREADY

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had the exact same symptoms today and my bike later in the ride would not shift out of 3rd. I had to turn it off and on a couple times before it would go into neutral. Lets us know what your dealer says.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

dam im gonna be pissed if after gettiing a se5 i start having issues with it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

drifter,
    did you ever get the "check transmission" on display. If so when? I get it after reverse trying to go into 1st. I'm still waiting for the part to be delivered to my dealer(gear sensor I believe). I'm not sure if this is the cure but certainley worth a try! It's going to be over 2 weeks at the dealer before I get it back... It is a bit frustrating and nerveracking to have this problem and read about some other problems people are having and hoping these problems don't happen when on the road.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got the check transmission error the same way you did but I have only had the message once. Since then I have put on over 400 miles with no problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just got word today that the gear sensor that was supposed to be delivered to the dealer by last Fri. Oct 17 is now backordered until Nov. 20!!! Just another blow to deal with. Not having a good experience so far with the Spyder. Only riden it twice and the second time was to the dealer to get fixed! Going to pick it up tomorrow and wait for the call to bring it back. This is just a troubleshooting procedure they are going to try and really hope this solves the problem or back to the dealer!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry Making Payments and Not Going Anywhere

I rode my SE5 for one day when the problems began. It first started by not wanting to come out of reverse and go into neutral. Then the "E" starting appearing on the console and the "Check Transmission" message started appearing. The final blow was when it went into first gear and never came out again. I loaded it on my trailer and returned it to the dealer. That was two weeks ago and have not heard a word. It all seems to be related to the temperature of the engine and transmission. When it is cold, all works well. When it reaches operating temperature the problems begin. I live in Florida when it can get over 100 degrees. Maybe Spyders with only work correctly north of the Mason/Dixon line or the Canadian border. Anyway, we have a lemon law in Florida and I am about to squeeze some lemons.

Pissed in Tallahassee

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well after 10 days in the shop and numerous calls to Can Am they finally found a fix for my transmission problems. Seems it was shipped to Florida with north of the Canadian Border thin oil and looses its viscosity in the hot Florida humidity. The transmission shifts based on oil pressure. Oil thins out in the heat and no pressure to make it shift. They dumped the oil and filter, shimmed the pump, and filled it with 5W40 synthetic. No more problems. Shifting better than ever.