Thread: RT belt tension

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT belt tension

I know this has been discussed on here numerous times however after reading through the various threads there has not been a clear number that BRP recommends. The threads all seem to be muddied up with opinion and it's quite unclear of the correct number. I would like to know what BRP recommends. If it's Newtons, that's ok. I can convert it.

All those that think they know need not respond. Thank-you

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderific View Post
    I know this has been discussed on here numerous times however after reading through the various threads there has not been a clear number that BRP recommends. The threads all seem to be muddied up with opinion and it's quite unclear of the correct number. I would like to know what BRP recommends. If it's Newtons, that's ok. I can convert it.

All those that think they know need not respond. Thank-you
    Well I know I don't know the correct answer but if you will check Scott (Nancy's Toys posts) and Lamont's post's on this I believe that you'll find the information that your seeking.
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The spec, as revised in April 2010 in Service Bulletin 2010-6, calls for an average tension of 450 N (Newtons) +/- 150 N. This is read with the Spyder jacked up until the rear wheel is off the ground, and read with a sonic meter.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't mess my belt, I let my dealer mech do it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The spec, as revised in April 2010 in Service Bulletin 2010-6, calls for an average tension of 450 N (Newtons) +/- 150 N. This is read with the Spyder jacked up until the rear wheel is off the ground, and read with a sonic meter.
    Thanks Scotty. That's the info we are looking for.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT belt tension

After letting dealer set to correct setting, purchase Capt.Jim's belt tensioner, best money you can spend on vibration free bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjhht494 View Post
    That is what the service bulletin called for, but we found from experience that if you stay on the higher side of 450(N) you have less vibration. We have discussed this with BRP and they said for us to use what works best within specs for the customer.
    That is my thinking too. If I set mine to around 450N I have an intermittent vibration but a higher setting takes some of it away. I would go with the smooth spyder tensioner but it is a little pricey in my opinion when you look at the parts included.

BTW the part number for the Krikit at NAPA is KR2