Thread: battery tender

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default battery tender

help..non tech kind of guy .. what is the best way to hook up a battery tender junior to a 2011 rss.. weather has finally turned to snow and finally have to call it a winter..any help would be appreciated

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You have several choices. "Best" depends on your preferences and mods.

1. You can clip the tender to the jumper terminals under the seat using the included alligator clips.
    2. You can install the included pigtail to the battery terminals (inside the bodywork).
    3. If you have an unswitched Powerlet or cigarette outlet installed, you can buy an adapter to connect to that.
    4. If you have a heated gear pigtail installed, you can buy an adapter to connect to that, too.

Spyder Garage

flatman,

Thanks for reminding me. I put the spyder up this past Monday and forgot about the tender. I have #3 above (on my gs), which makes it easy.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I seem to recall that one of our own hooked his up under the seat, but then had the whole deal short out when he closed the seat down on the wiring and ruhhed a bare spot...
    So I'd suggest throwing something like a rag down under there also to prevent the seat from latching shut.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

On my RS I connected right to the battery then brought the dongle end up under the seat at the positive (+) post. It sits right in the same recess that the positive post sits. When charging I lower the seat but don't latch and everything sits nice.

Pretty easy hookup and there is plenty of room to work with.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flatman View Post
    help..non tech kind of guy .. what is the best way to hook up a battery tender junior to a 2011 rss.. weather has finally turned to snow and finally have to call it a winter..any help would be appreciated
    I hooked my pigtail up directly to the battery and routed the plug under the seat. Everytime I park the spyder I simply raise the seat and plug her in.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by major911 View Post
    I hooked my pigtail up directly to the battery and routed the plug under the seat. Everytime I park the spyder I simply raise the seat and plug her in.
    And the seat will shut with no problem if the plug is in the right spot!

2015 F3 SM6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

+1 pigtailed directly to the battery, plug sits under the seat on the plastic "tray" till needed.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

I think the best one is to get the pigtail you get from store and plug it inside your RT trunk.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jerpinoy View Post
    I think the best one is to get the pigtail you get from store and plug it inside your RT trunk.
    I plug into the trunk socket on the RT but for the stock GS/RS your better off under the seat because there is NO trunk plug in!!

2015 F3 SM6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    You have several choices. "Best" depends on your preferences and mods.

1. You can clip the tender to the jumper terminals under the seat using the included alligator clips.
    2. You can install the included pigtail to the battery terminals (inside the bodywork).
    3. If you have an unswitched Powerlet or cigarette outlet installed, you can buy an adapter to connect to that.
    4. If you have a heated gear pigtail installed, you can buy an adapter to connect to that, too.
    I did option 2. The best way to charge a battery, is to goto the battery terminals.

Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BATTERIES IN WINTER

If you plan to ride during the Winter dis-regard this post............If you plan to just park it for a few months, I would remove it and bring it inside and put a battery Maintainer on it.......JMHO....Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is the BEST option if your Spyder spends it's Winters in unheated storage...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Velcro will hold your wires in place

I use velcro to keep my charging wire in place when the Battery Tender is not hooked up. Works good to keep the wires from being crushed under the seat. If the charger is hooked up, I leave the seat up to remind me to disconnect before doing anything else.

Spyder Garage

Default Connecting/disconnecting

If using option #1.
    While charging: Always connect the POSITIVE (+) cable first to avoid damaging the electrical system of the vehicle.
    Once charged: Always disconnect the NEGATIVE (-) cable first to avoid damaging the electrical system of the vehicle.
    2016 F3T SM6 , Silver