Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a 3/4, but rarely, if ever, wore it. Since my accident back in February which I was not wearing one, I have agreed with myself (and my wife I might add) that I will revisit this issue and wear one.

I'll probably opt for the shortie with leather straps. By the grace of God I did not have even a scratch on my head, but did receive broken ribs, torn right rotator cuff and many abrasions all over my body (save my head).

Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't believe in helmet laws because I really feel that people are responsible for themselves and that it is not the responsibly or the right of the government to mandate it. However, there is a reason that riders that don't wear helmets are commonly referred to as organ donors. I had a major crash several years ago and about the only thing that wasn't injured is my head and neck. The helmet didn't make it but it was responsible for my making it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question hmm

Quote Originally Posted by SpydieRydie View Post
    Helmets, why anyone would question the use or the style?
    I am 56 years old, started riding motorized two wheelers at the age of 12. When I was young I went down so many times that if I told you some of my stories and the specifics of those events you might just wet yourself! Trail, dirt bike, and motocross taught me a lot. But I also learned more than my share of lessons. Having ATGATT, All The Gear All The Time, means when you go down, and at some time you will, are you going to get up or are you not?
    90% of riders, dirt or road, go down face first. Fact!
    Not wearing a helmet when going down means that you, regardless of speed, are 98% at risk of a fatal head injury. Fact! Just drop a six inch sugar mellen off a four foot latter and reflect about what you just saw.
    3/4 helmets AND shorty or half shell helmets do nothing to protect your face, chin, teeth, or nose. Remember that 90% of riders that go down go face first. Fact!
    The best protection for the face, neck and brain is provided by a full face helmet that is fitted correctly, period! Fact!
    Modular helmets offer most of the benefits of full face helmets. Yes this is true. But modular helmets are tested and rated at a lower standard as are full face helmets. Fact!
    Do you want to live if you go down?
    Do you want to look like a freak if you go down? And survive?
    Folks, this is a no brainer.
    Hell, I have survived for over forty four years, I must be on to something don't ya think?
    ATGATT it's just that simple.
    Moezie, LUV to all!
    Geeze i must live on a diffrent planet to you im 50 and ive been riding since i was 10 and ive had many many mishaps ive been hit by cars run over by a semi and until a month ago i had never owned a full face helmet and even now ive only got a modular. Way back when i tried a full face on and found that it restricted my vision and was claustraphobic and even though ive had the rubber side up (crashed) many times im still only as ugly as god made me and have never hit the road face first, i do wonder though how many people who are adamant about thier helmets will ride in sandals or runners if you are moving and your foot hits the road a runner will come of almost instantly (a hard learnt lesson that one) so when it comes to saftey take the whole body approach .

sorry about the rant cheers mick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post
    Do people fall on their right side more than there left?

harry
    In a Right Hand Drive country yes. In a Left Hand drive country, no. It's been told to me that since right hand turns are always sharper (same curve) that is where more people lose control. More people lay the bike down than don't. So you get more head contact with the pavement on the right side.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default THE FACE!! IT PROTECTS THE FACE!!

Quote Originally Posted by IGETAROUND View Post
    perhaps they all treasure their faces????
    I don't think I would even HAVE a face, today if I had not had my fullface helmet on when I crashed at 65 MPH, trying to miss a deer. Didn't protect the ole' ribs, though: 7 of those got broken, as well as two broken fingers. THANK YOU, HJC SYMAX!!
    Ride safe,
    CapNCrunch

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sounds as ifyour screen name has taken on a frightening reality along the way...
    And it had nothing to do with a mishap at the breakfast table!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcturner View Post
    I don't believe in helmet laws because I really feel that people are responsible for themselves and that it is not the responsibly or the right of the government to mandate it. However, there is a reason that riders that don't wear helmets are commonly referred to as organ donors. I had a major crash several years ago and about the only thing that wasn't injured is my head and neck. The helmet didn't make it but it was responsible for my making it.
    I am on the fence regarding mandatory helmet laws. On the one hand I agree with individual choice, but when it comes to the general population paying for care for someone who chose not to wear a helmet, I waver. I am no doubt the big waffler. Maybe I should run for office.
    Bernie

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hberninger View Post
    I am on the fence regarding mandatory helmet laws. On the one hand I agree with individual choice, but when it comes to the general population paying for care for someone who chose not to wear a helmet, I waver. I am no doubt the big waffler. Maybe I should run for office.
    Bernie
    1- If you can never make up your mind
    2- And if you do, it changes with the next interview
    3- If you are always on both sides of every issue
    4- If you always support the troops but never support what they are doing
    5- If no one can figure out what you really meant
    6- If your position depends on who your are talking to at the moment
    7- If you think all of this is reasonable

Then YES! You are the Perfect Politician! Go for it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Friend of mine spent some time as a motorcycle cop. Told me he never wore full face ( except in severe weather ), because it restricted his line of sight and hearing.
    I bought a bell pit boss for both of us. Considering a full face (modular) if I plan on doing winter riding when it's really cold. Otherwise the pit boss, and a good balaclava, do the trick.

http://www.bellsports.com/powersport.../pit-boss-5408

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
    Friend of mine spent some time as a motorcycle cop. Told me he never wore full face ( except in severe weather ), because it restricted his line of sight and hearing.
    I bought a bell pit boss for both of us. Considering a full face (modular) if I plan on doing winter riding when it's really cold. Otherwise the pit boss, and a good balaclava, do the trick.

http://www.bellsports.com/powersport.../pit-boss-5408
    I hear this one a lot. Many times it's more a case of claustrofobia than actual restricted view.

In the past full face helmets did have a more restrictive sight line than many 3/4 helmets. Especially in the beginning when they were just slightly modified car racing helmets. But over the years this has been improved to the point where full face helmets give similar side view of the 3/4 helmets.

Good mirrors and turning your head when needed are more effective than a slight increase in perifrial vision. If that even applies in most cases anymore.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I hear this one a lot. Many times it's more a case of claustrofobia than actual restricted view.

In the past full face helmets did have a more restrictive sight line than many 3/4 helmets. Especially in the beginning when they were just slightly modified car racing helmets. But over the years this has been improved to the point where full face helmets give similar side view of the 3/4 helmets.

Good mirrors and turning your head when needed are more effective than a slight increase in perifrial vision. If that even applies in most cases anymore.
    You need to do like a fighter pilot, and keep your head on a swivel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FlaBound View Post
    I've always found that a full face helmet IMPROVES your hearing. You don't have anywhere near as much air rushing past your ears.

Spyder Garage

I always wear a full face. I don't look that good and would look worse without a jaw.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmets

I ride a Goldwing with a shorty, wife rides her RT with a half helmet. Always have , always will

Thanks

chickridin

I wear a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield. Seems everything that flys up off the road gets me right in the face.

Spyder Garage

Default Helmets?????????

Quote Originally Posted by chickridin View Post
    I wear a 3/4 helmet with a full face shield. Seems everything that flys up off the road gets me right in the face.
    Must be that magnetic helmet, get it demagnetized.

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

It's really up to each individual and their state..in Texas here, there's no helmet laws but you do have to have adequate medical insurance and must show proof if stopped.
    I agree and think this is FAIR!. I dont wear a helmet because it's my choice!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My regular helmet is a 3/4 open-face with a headset.

I have had riders, twice in the past year, encounter bees getting between their visor and their face and both have been stung.

Protection from wind, noise, critters, and rain are reasons for wearing a full-face. The other one may be when riding at break-neck speeds as I do often.

I also like to keep the sun off my face.

Around town, I would like a half helmet but can't find one in 5XL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chickridin View Post
    I am an avid proponent of the full face helmet and I've stated my reasons, but this is another good one.

Have you tried a good full face helmet? Once you get used to them they are more comfortable that a 3/4 (IMHO) and they do a much better job of keeping the negative aspects of the environment out of your face.

I've been to quite a few motorcycle accidents over the years. Some serious, some not. I have never had anyone tell me 'I'm sure glad I was wearing a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet'. But I've had quite a few tell me they were very glad they were wearing a full face helmet.

My feeling is, if you're never going to crash you don't need any helmet at all. Otherwise, you will be glad you were wearing a full face helmet, or you may well wish you had.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

South Carolina does not require you to ware a helmet,but I would never ride without one!,my choice and I like a modular one so when I'm riding local in nice weather I open it up but when i'm on the highway or it's nasty out(rain or cold) I can close it up. to me this is the best design,like having two helmets,plus it has Bluetooth

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I am an avid proponent of the full face helmet and I've stated my reasons, but this is another good one.

Have you tried a good full face helmet? Once you get used to them they are more comfortable that a 3/4 (IMHO) and they do a much better job of keeping the negative aspects of the environment out of your face.

I've been to quite a few motorcycle accidents over the years. Some serious, some not. I have never had anyone tell me 'I'm sure glad I was wearing a 1/2 or 3/4 helmet'. But I've had quite a few tell me they were very glad they were wearing a full face helmet.

My feeling is, if you're never going to crash you don't need any helmet at all. Otherwise, you will be glad you were wearing a full face helmet, or you may well wish you had.
    if i was riding 2 wheels, I would never think twice about wearing a helmet - wouldn't ride without one

but riding on 3 wheels, I like to not wear one when riding on local roads, but definitely wear one (either 1/2 or 3/4, full face helmets make me claustrophobic)

Spyder Garage

Maine does not have a helmet law which I disagree with. I would support such a law when the motorcyclists who opt not to wear a helmet sign waivers saying they will never allow State funds to support them while comatose. I was the Chairman of the Board of the largest nursing home system in the State. There were dozens of riders who suffered massive head injuries and were forever domed to lay in our beds as vegetables. Eventually their loved ones ran out of funds and the State had to pick up the tab - often for many, many years at $365/day and up. Their negligence required all to pay.

Until that time comes everyone should wear a DOT or Snell helmet. The statistics are overwhelmingly in favor of the rider with a helmet. They may still end up on State support but it won't be for a lack of a helmet.
    2021 Can Am Spyder Sea-to-Sky

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Scorpion EXO-900

I use the Scorpion EXO-900 it is a Transformer helment 3/4 open face and Full face modular. Great helmet here is a link
    http://www.revzilla.com/scorpion-exo-900-helmet

J. D.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 20Limited12 View Post
    I use the Scorpion EXO-900 it is a Transformer helment 3/4 open face and Full face modular. Great helmet here is a link
    http://www.revzilla.com/scorpion-exo-900-helmet

J. D.
    These are great helmets. If you're looking for one of these PM me, you'll be glad you did.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Must be that magnetic helmet, get it demagnetized.

Sent by morse code from a hidden bunker
    Ha-ha that is a good one!