Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default RT on a drive on drive off ferry

I am about to start a roadtrip which involves a ferry crossing.From previous experience on two wheels the hinge where the ferry ramp meets the dock can lead to a very short but sharp gradient.
    Looking at my RT yesterday and the low ground clearance with the skidplate I was wondering if anyone has had a problem with ferries and if so the solution. I realise all situations are different but most drive on drive off ships seem to be the same and i want to avoid damage to my Spyder and my pride as the rest of my fellow passengers look on.I am towing a trailer by the way.
    Thank you

beako

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up We've done with our 2011 RT-S without issue, tho sans trailer

If possible, just take the hinged part at a slight degree of an angle, tho with also towing a trailer, not sure if you'd have enough room to negotiate that or not. If not, the trailer is lite weight enough to just unhitch & move it by hand, if needed. Teddy & I wish you luck & have funIMG_20111203_172429.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've ridden on and off the James Town Ferry on my 2012 RT Ltd several times with no problems. Not sure that all ferries are ramped alike...probably best to follow Teddy's (CincySpyder) advice to be safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's also a lot of cages out there that don't have a whole lot of extra space between them and the ground... The ferries have it in their own best interest to design a system that'll work for the most possible folks.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Never a problem

I have taken Miss Spyder on ferries of all sizes. From the large multilevel haul all size (mc to 18 wheelers) ferry to the small tiny what I call cattle ferry. I always look closely. If I feel could be issue I will go at angle. Doing that have never had an issue. And love getting to go to the head of the line!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've made 2 RoRo {ride on, ride off} ferry crossings to the Continent on my RT this year, one from Dover to Calais, the other from Hull to Zeebrugge. No issue at all with the angle of the ramps but those rows of metal tie-down humps on the car deck need care. I found I needed to take my time, looking out for what was about to arrive under my wheels. The ferry deck hands are only concerned with getting you parked up in a hurry but I figured I'd paid enough money to take my time. As for any onlookers, you can bet they're all wishing they were you, riding such a cool-looking machine as a Spyder!

Enjoy your trip.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 09-24-2012 at 10:25 AM.

magical member
    Spyder Garage

I have taken my RT a few times on the ride on/off ferry in Connecticut with absolutely no issues. The ramps are articulated and just flatten when you ride over them, I wouldn't worry about it, trikes have been using them for years

harry

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Just use care

Took the Alaska State Ferry this year from Skagway to Prince Rupert -- no problem at all. Also took a sort of antique paddlewheel ferry across the Susquehanna River in PA. Wooden slatted ramp and wooden deck. Pretty sharp hump at the top of the ramp. Just did that one at an angle and very slowly. No problem.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Spyders At Sea

The Lewes Cape May ferry

Please note the Gen 1 brakes..............................

If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey