Thread: Oil Leak

Spyder Garage

Default Oil Leak

I took my 2011 RT to the dealer this week as it had a reasonably bad oil leak. Today the dealer called and told my wife that they had to replace a seal for the magneto (at least that is what she believes they said). Does this make sense? Does any seals within the magneto assembly stop oil from exiting the outside of the engine?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Every time a shaft passed through an engine case, it has to have a seal. The magneto rotates on a shaft, outside the case, so there is a seal there. The explanation is very feasible.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Every time a shaft passed through an engine case, it has to have a seal. The magneto rotates on a shaft, outside the case, so there is a seal there. The explanation is very feasible.
    Thanks. Have you heard of this happening often. What would be the most likely cause, manufacturing defect on the seal, contamination?
    Should i expect that i might have problems with the magneto with the oil flinging around inside the case?
    Is the magneto in the spyder for high voltage ignition or is it the power generation for the entire machine?
    Last edited by gazunni; 09-14-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gazunni View Post
    Thanks. Have you heard of this happening often. What would be the most likely cause, manufacturing defect on the seal, contamination?
    Should i expect that i might have problems with the magneto with the oil flinging around inside the case?
    Is the magneto in the spyder for high voltage ignition or is it the power generation for the entire machine?
    First one I have heard of failing. Sometimes seals fail, though, and this one would be a susceptible as any other. The most common causes of failure are damage during installation, manufacturing defects, and bad bearings on the shaft. I suspect yours just had a small cut from installation or manufacturing. These get worse over time. The magneto coils should be thoroughly cleaned, inspected, and possibly tested. The possibility of damage is minimal. The magneto (alternator) on the Spyder charges the battery.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I took my 2011 RT to the dealer this past week for a minor oil leak. Dealer called yesterday to say that the oil leak is now worse. They will be taking it apart on Monday to find out exactly where the oil is coming from. To be continued.....

Spyder Garage

Cool My oil leak

was eventually diagnosed as bad gasket on the clutch cover. Why it took the dealer two months to find and repair the problem is anybody's guess. I bought the bike and then towed it back to the dealer after three days because of an oil puddle in the garage. BRP eventually extended the original warranty two months to make up for loss of use. I don't do businees with the dealer anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by punji View Post
    was eventually diagnosed as bad gasket on the clutch cover. Why it took the dealer two months to find and repair the problem is anybody's guess. I bought the bike and then towed it back to the dealer after three days because of an oil puddle in the garage. BRP eventually extended the original warranty two months to make up for loss of use. I don't do businees with the dealer anymore.
    I guess you have the SM-5 Manual Transmission model right?

Spyder Garage

Cool Nope, SE5

Quote Originally Posted by A1A View Post
    I guess you have the SM-5 Manual Transmission model right?
    As I said, I don't do business with the dealer anymore.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by punji View Post
    As I said, I don't do business with the dealer anymore.
    Did you have the 5 speed manual transmission or the 5 speed semi automatic transmission?