Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Radiator heat wave

Which product is the most effective in deflecting the heat coming off the Spyder's radiator?

I do a lot of in town riding and on hot days, the legs get scorched. Anu suggestions?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SPYDERPOPS...board sponsor...click on the SPYDERPOPS banner on the home page.

Spyder Garage

Default Shin guards

If it's your shins rather than your feet like my problem was, I bought soccer shin guards and they work beautifully. I didn't want to wrap the pipe as I will want the warmth in the winter.

Spyder Garage

A pair of jeans and good boots, at least 10 inches high.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This has been an issue for me. As soon as Spyderpops came out with a LOWER block off plate I added that along with the catalytic converter shield and made the right side heat more tolerable. If you take IR temps on the right side (even with above), you'll still see about 30 degrees hotter on the floorboard and side panel over the left side. Taking it to a further extreme. I plugged both upper and lower radiator outlets. I punched a 3" hole in the lower and added a downpipe to vent the hot air away. I also added a 4 inch circular hole in the floor panel instead of removing it. That hole is directly behind the downward bend so it will have some negative pressure and exit warm air more efficiently. IMO, removing that lower panel can push the warm air upward. I also have some holes in the swoosh and added some heat shielding to the bottom of the floorboard. Spyder runs cooler than originally did.
    I added a deflector plate to my right footrest to increase airflow over my right foot and a piece of plexi to the bottom of my Baker Air Wings for my lower leg.
    All of that said, I did NOT ever experience excessive hot leg or foot while wearing jeans and boots. Unfortunately, I live in SW FL and I like to do my local riding in shorts and sneakers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by flybuddy; 09-09-2012 at 01:33 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Unless they're over the knee..

Boots won't help the shin burns unless they are up to the knee!