Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Rode two wheelers for many years, until a huge German Shepard decided to eat the front tire on my Gold Wing, I was in a sharp curve, dropped off the pavement, and almost lost it. I decided my riding days were behind me after selling the GW. I saw my first Spyder at Johnson Shut Ins about five years ago, and I told the wife I had to have one. It took a while to talk the wife into this, but she finally agreed to go a test ride at Cowtown, and that was all it took. We purchased a 2012 RT SE5 A&C from Len after my 75th birthday. Now we ride it every time we get the chance and love the

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I rode two wheelers for over 44 years, starting at age 14. ridden imports and domestics, and was wrecked off our new Voyager, 21 days after buying it, with less than 950 miles on it. we had looked at the Spyder, but the price point was more than we wanted at the time.
    after the accident totaled the Voyager and it being the end of the year, our dealer had a demo that was marked down and included some rebates. after some offers were made, I rode off into the rain on Dec. 27, 2010.
    knowing my Wife had never ridden on her own, I also wanted to make sure that she could get back home if we were on a road trip and something happened to me. that next summer, I taught her how to ride, she took her test and passed, and that was between two hip surgeries.
    this platform is more suited for OUR riding needs, and I use it as my primary transportation to and from work EVERYDAY, plus our short and long trips. so we're happy, I get to ride everyday (all year long), the price was right (maintenace costs SUCK... ), and it's fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by btcherm View Post
    what was the number one reason for buying your ????
    I've had my F650 since 2005 and put over 65,000 miles on it and she's still going strong...rotax motor, need I say more.

My last trip, I did 600 miles a day for two days to get from Houston to Grand Lakes. Spent three days there, then back home in two days doing 600 miles a day again.

In those 1200 miles home, I had a long time to think it was time for me to get a bike more suited for these long distance trips I want to take....sooooo, one week later after returning from that trip I was driving my new spyder home.

So now my BMW can get a little needed rest :-)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Got my first motorcycle when I was14 Mother made me get rid of it a week later when she found out about it (had just got it running). Over the years I have owned several bikes and always felt there was nothing like riding a bike. Then stopped for several years, not in one place enough (all over the world). When I retired I wanted something special but had trouble throwing my leg (arthritis) over a bike, so I got a maxi scooter Burgman 400. It was great but lack of my stability made me fear slow turns. So I thought about a trike, but the are inherently dangerous IMO when making sharp turns. Then I saw a Spyder in a showroom and liked it but could thow my leg over the seat. But due to my interest I started researching Spyders and found you are supposed to stand on the pegs to thow your leg over and that you could test drive/ride them. After going for a test ride I found I did not like the design of the RT and could not aford one. So I started shopping around and realized I needed to look at used. Found an RS SE5 at the dealer and the rest is history.

Spyder Garage

Default Why a spyder

Been riding since 1958. Owned lots of bikes over the years from BMW to HD's to Zundapps. In 2008 I owned 3 Honda, 2 in MN and one in CA, we winter there. Saw my first upclose Spyder in Palm Springs CA. A young gal was ryding it. Later saw her again at the gas station where I was filling up. She spoke about all the fun of ryding. Decided to look into the spyder. First listed the Honda's for sale. Sold 2 right away but held onto the third. Took a few demo rides on the spyders. Dealers were not much interested in dealing. Found a 2008 GS with under 1200 miles in Atlanta Ga. Bought it over the internet and flew down to ride it home. The seller told me that if the spyder was not everything he said it was and I did not like it he would purchase my return flight ticket. The rest is history. Now own a 2011 RTS. Sold the remaining bikes because I just did not ride them. The spyder was always the one . PS, I even overheard my wife tell some of her friends that she does enjoy the spyder and is always happy to go for a ryde.

Spyder Garage

I had pretty much bought a new motorcycle every couple years. When I saw the picture of the in a motorcycle magazine (either Rider or Cycle World) in Oct or Nov of 2007, I said I have to get one of those. I put money down in December ($1,000.00) and waited until June of 2008 to get the 2nd one to hit Alaska. My dealer got the first one.

Now it is a necessity for me to ride three wheels because of back and hip issues--but that was not the case when I started out.

Four 's later--I still like the product.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Because.......

Have owned 4 bikes over the last many years. Last one was an ST-1300. Loved them all, but mostly had to ride alone, because the wife did not want to ride on the 2 wheeler.

Now......

DSCF0932 (Small).JPG

No other reason needed.

There are many others that I could list, but this is the best reason.
    2011 RT-S , Silver

Spyder Garage

Linda's fault (my wife) so we got the '09 RS SE5 Sport Touring Edition (special set-up from Cowtown)................. She felt that I needed a retirement present after 40 years working at the same company. Second one was also her idea, 2011 RT Ltd. so we could be more comfortable on long trips! What a good girl she is!!

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Because I like change and fate.3 years I have had a Goldwing which was upto 890000 miles.I loved riding it and did thousand of miles long distance riding.I had seen the RS and thought it interesting but had no urge to get one.My one fear on a 2 wheeler is if I went down I take blood thinners and what a mess I would make.A couple of years ago I hit a deer and stayed up.In June an idiot texting came through a red light.we collided and luckily managed to land on my feet.FATE
    I thought then get a 3 wheeler.I had seen a group of RT's in Florida. and loved the look so in the back of my mind I thought if I ever change this would be good.Went to the dealer a got a great trade in price on a bronze RT limited and decided there and then.CHANGE
    ivor

L

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Health issues. Shoulder replacement on the left and some loss of strength on the right after spine surgery. Could never have picked up the Harley if I needed to.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was on my bucket list.

Spyder Garage

I'm new at riding. Rode a 2 wheeler for only a little while, and I never really felt comfortable with the leaning and all that. As a matter of fact, I was down right scared. Plus the Spyder looked cool, and I would be the first one in the hood with one. I love my ryde and this forum as well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Why

I got the 2011 rt limited after my wife finely said yes.
    because I was in a wreck in 1972 in Hawaii had always said no.
    15 rt , yes Black

Spyder Garage

Because its cool, and my right leg dont work so good anymore.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

My reason was simple, I ride every day in the winter, And got tired of parking my bikes when it snowed, So i figured there'll be less down time with 3 wheels, So as long as i Wait for the plows to go by I'm good to go.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks to my wife....

Having ridden two wheels since I had a Cushman scooter at age 14, (that was 54 years ago) I may have logged a quarter million miles on two wheels. But since 1982, I've had three lower back surgeries for ruptured disks which left me with a pretty strong back but a goodly degree of neuropathy (weak ankles). In July of 2010 I suffered inner ear nerve damage, left side, which makes me teeter when I should totter. But I could still ride.

In June of 2011 as I crossed the Continental Divide near Glacier National Park, Montana, on my Harley, I got crossed up on a pavement construction dropoff and went down in the rain skinning a knee, breaking a left thumb and ruining a perfectly good rainsuit and helmet. Bike suffered a broken mirror and broken signal light lense. These sort of things put you to thinking. Plus, it's been five years since my wife had the nerve to climb on behind me. Get's lonely sometimes riding by one's self.

During the winter we kept seeing Spyder tv commercials and one night looked at each other and almost simultaneously said "That's what we need." Of course, that was all I needed to hear. Big search started right away. Found my 2011 RT SE from a nice couple in Ocala who had just traded it for a Honda trike. Their trike dealer knew nothing about Spyders and let me have it for his allowance to them. Win, Win, Win.

Yeah, we love it and can't wait to put some serious miles together as the weather cools in the fall. Got all kinds of slick Spyder riding gear and working regularly on more mods.

Yep, it's all my wife's fault....he, he, he.....smoky

Spyder Garage

Default Why A Spyder

Waited until I was 60 before I did the MSF course. Decided I wanted something that was simple and easy to ride. That is the reason we purchased an SE5 model.
    Reese

Spyder Garage

Default WHY?

Lost my husband after 40 years of bliss. Wanted another motorcycle (hadn't ridden since late 60's -- yamaha 350). Knew I couldn't hold up a 2 wheeler at my age. Got the RS, fell in love with it. Met my fiance who had a HD TriGlide. He couldn't keep up with me, so this spring, he sold his Harley and got his new RT! We love them. Just did a 4163.3 mile trip and are planning our trip to the Street Vibrations in Reno where we will be married.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5ft2lilred View Post
    Lost my husband after 40 years of bliss. Wanted another motorcycle (hadn't ridden since late 60's -- yamaha 350). Knew I couldn't hold up a 2 wheeler at my age. Got the RS, fell in love with it. Met my fiance who had a HD TriGlide. He couldn't keep up with me, so this spring, he sold his Harley and got his new RT! We love them. Just did a 4163.3 mile trip and are planning our trip to the Street Vibrations in Reno where we will be married.
    That is a great, I wish you two the best.
    Last edited by Grandpa Spyder; 09-03-2012 at 07:32 AM.

Spyder Garage

I needed it - with whatelse could you ryde in areas like here ??

Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default health and

Like so many I moved to 3 wheels because I did not believe I was safe for myself but more importantly others. As to the Can Am I was fed up with the attitudes of the HD Dealers in my area.

Ride Smart.......Ride Safe
    Tom

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 5ft2lilred View Post
    Met my fiance who had a HD TriGlide. He couldn't keep up with me, so this spring, he sold his Harley and got his new RT! We love them. Just did a 4163.3 mile trip and are planning our trip to the Street Vibrations in Reno where we will be married.

Wishing you both nothing but the best!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Why did I buy my Spyder?

Because stealing is illegal!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Why Spyder ?

Been riding sense 72 when we were young and well dumb on a 72 Kawa 750 2-stroke still love the smell .

Then a Z-1 900 that I added a windjammer fairing and saddle bags .

Then no bikes from 75 - 80 bought a GS 850 Suki nice bike , but had two young kids and no time or $$$ to ride

Then 1996 bought a 1985 GPZ 1100 Kawa that bike was so fast well I sold it and knew my taste in riding had changed from young and dumb to older and slower (wiser)

Then 2003 bought a Victory 2002 TCD rode it 45000 miles and loved it owned it 10 years

Then decided once agian that we are older and ready to make a change to 3 wheels .

Had always liked the Spyder's especially the RT so we traded both Victorys on a new RT .

Went from a noisey , loud chrome ladden garage Queens V twin two wheeled bike(s) to a three wheeled
    plain Jane RT that is nice and quiet and has been ridden more in 6 wks then the Vics were ridden in 6 months.

all in all we love our spyder and are glad to have made the switch .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Because I could.