Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Securing trailers and contents

I recently read a blog by a musician friend who was writing about traveling on the road with trailers of musical equipment. She mentioned that you should always try to back your trailer against a wall, pole, or something of that nature to make it a little harder to steal your stuff out of trailers. It might be something that we can keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by spyder-dude View Post
    Wow....sorry to hear this ernie!

I have heard numerous stories like this with snowmobiles....including one from a customer of mine. He had a brand new Ford F350 with a 30ft very high end trailer with 6 snowmobiles in there (4 of them where brand new). They were parked in the secure fenced in area at the hotel. They woke up after the 2nd morning and the truck and trailer gone. Was like a $100k worth of equipment. The police there said this is common that they see this and never get the stuff back. One reason why I don't go to Canada anymore....so sad!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 800steve View Post
    I dont know if the govt is involved, but I can tell you
    first hand that they dont put much effort in finding my stuff when it got stolen. Police said contact Ins, co asap, these things never get found. Best have good ins. if you travel.
    Police don't put much effort anywhere because they know that within hours the bike is apart and ready to be sold by parts. It's the same thing everywhere, same here in the US. It is a waste of time to look for a stolen bike. And you are right, have insurance no matter where you go, it will buy you a new bike and you can call it the day. That's why I pay for insurance, if someone wants to get it, go right ahead.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Police don't put much effort anywhere because they know that within hours the bike is apart and ready to be sold by parts. It's the same thing everywhere, same here in the US. It is a waste of time to look for a stolen bike. And you are right, have insurance no matter where you go, it will buy you a new bike and you can call it the day. That's why I pay for insurance, if someone wants to get it, go right ahead.

Wow...... I'm shocked !!!!!! You can actually post without calling people names. Impressive.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spydeejane View Post
    I recently read a blog by a musician friend who was writing about traveling on the road with trailers of musical equipment. She mentioned that you should always try to back your trailer against a wall, pole, or something of that nature to make it a little harder to steal your stuff out of trailers. It might be something that we can keep in mind.

Good tip.............

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Appreciate everyone's concern over the theft. I do have good insurance and I'm sure they will cover everything it's just going to be extra time being they have to contact Canadian police. The officer that took the report was very cordial and concerned. I don't wish anyone any harm - don't feel like shooting anyone - just wish they paint the bike, put a whole lot of money into accessories and then someone steals it from them. As far as backing the trailer up to a wall or fence I think that's a good idea - unless they then decide to steal the trailer and the truck as well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rnet View Post
    I am very real, your Government needs to crack down on this, since there not, they are part of the problem. Only seems to be in Quebec and they deny there is a problem.
    Sorry folks could not find data regarding motorcycle or snowmobile thefts. But..............in 2010 per 100,000 people you were 3 times as likely to have your car stolen in New Jersey (Original poster's home state) then you were in Quebec? Although the goverment in Quebec has had questionable dealings shall we say with organized crime by some goverment officials...........me doubts they are involved on the grass roots level of a "Spyder stealing ring"?

As many have posted it is all over the place and sadly in Canada anyway the police forces have little resources to chase these folks. Now if we had unlimited funding available for the police they for sure could go after them more efficiently. But right now, murder, sexual assaults, domestic abuse seems to take precendence over property theft. Personally I get this.............sadly so do the criminals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kentompkins View Post
    How, exactly, would carrying have helped NJERNIE??ken tompkins
    Hey Ken you are absolutely correct "carrying" would have not helped at all. The one thing I will say about "possesing" a weapon I believe it has to have some "deterrent" factor to it when it comes to home invasion as an example. If the criminal had to wonder............what is the chance if I break into this guys garage that he may wake up and put a bullett in my butt he might think twice. In Canada in a large city it is highly unlikely that the home owner has a weapon. Rural folks still tend to have rifles and shot guns but even they are becoming fewer and further between.

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear about your lost,

But as the old saying goes Logging Chains with locks, enclosed trailers with locks and High Dollar Locks on everything you own are for honest people. You can put it in a trailer turn the wheels to the right lock them chain it to the floor of the trailer with locks; you can do everything in your power to keep what you have worked hard to get and keep safe but the truth is if they what it they will get it.

I have always carried full coverage on everything I drive and live in and I think God I have never had to make a claim.

Before I purchased the 2012 RT Limited I have now the wife and I did a lot of traveling around the U.S. in a 2005 Chevrolet SSR and every morning after an overnight stay I would get up wondering if it was going to be where I left it.

Wishing you the best of luck with getting a replacement Bike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Flow View Post
    Sorry to hear about your lost,

But as the old saying goes Logging Chains with locks, enclosed trailers with locks and High Dollar Locks on everything you own are for honest people. You can put it in a trailer turn the wheels to the right lock them chain it to the floor of the trailer with locks; you can do everything in your power to keep what you have worked hard to get and keep safe but the truth is if they what it they will get it.

I have always carried full coverage on everything I drive and live in and I think God I have never had to make a claim.

Before I purchased the 2012 RT Limited I have now the wife and I did a lot of traveling around the U.S. in a 2005 Chevrolet SSR and every morning after an overnight stay I would get up wondering if it was going to be where I left it.

Wishing you the best of luck with getting a replacement Bike
    I may have lost my Spyder but I still have my 2005 Chevy SSR. My next rally is going to be in October with the SSR to Cape Cod, Mass. Hope you still have your SSR and are enjoying it. I also belong to the SSR Fanatics and have the same name NJERNIE on their website.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did somebody say "SSR"? What a great-looking ride!
    How about a pic; please???
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

- don't feel like shooting anyone - just wish they paint the bike, put a whole lot of money into accessories and then someone steals it from them...

Or worse: the rear shock air bladder bursts, a gazillion codes are thrown and the thieves get the limp home mode.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    a gazillion codes are thrown and the thieves get the limp home mode.
    ...........and a "high speed" police chase ensues at 30 mph!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Wow...... I'm shocked !!!!!! You can actually post without calling people names. Impressive.
    I'm honest, what do you want me to say? I call people and/or things the way they are!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Default enclosed trailer

I have an enclosed trailer I use to store tools in , double rear doors and single side door . I installed a home type window security system on the rear doors that makes a lot of noise if not disarmed before opening , scared the out of me the time I forgot to disarm it. I also run a very heavy chain thru the wheel and around the axle if they try to steal the whole trailer . It's a shame that it appears someone had help in the theft of it . I've thought about carrying a piece of this chain and very heavy lock in the spyder and run it thru the rear wheel and around the swingarm if I'm in an area that looks suspicious but haven't so far. I always try and park as close as I can to a well lit area .There's really no way to stop someone from stealing but make it as hard as you can.

Spyder Garage

Hope it all works out for you guys. Awful, hate thieves! Hope they get theirs and hard!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Sorry this happened. Pray that your insurance comes through without a lot of hassle.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Did somebody say "SSR"? What a great-looking ride!
    How about a pic; please???

This was my 2005 5 speed, lots of fun!

I also belong to the SSR Fanatics and have the same name NJERNIE on their website.
    I too am a member of the SSr forum under TicketBait, just have not posted in about 4 years. Nice people their too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is one gorgeous... Pickup truck?
    Nahh... You'd never haul a load af manure in the back of it for a garden!
    That is one gorgeous ROADSTER! (if I may borrow the term....)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

phpz5065yAM.jpg

Not to adept at adding pictures but here is a shot of my SSR and what was my Spyder. Looking forward to taking the SSR to a rally in Cape Cod this October. Now it's wait and see how the insurance company will handle the loss of my Spyder.

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am very real, your Government needs to crack down on this, since there not, they are part of the problem. Only seems to be in Quebec and they deny there is a problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    What an idiot!!!
    Those that know me know that I do not comment unless I have a good handle on the subject matter so I will give you a brief story of why I feel this way. About 12 years ago I started snowmobiling in Quebec and became friends with an administrator of a snowmobile trail conditions forum and sled theft was so high in the area of which he lived, he and a buddy started looking into the situation to which the police never seemed to care. To make this breif, his buddy was murdered and they burned his motel down and eventually my friend left Quebec in fear of his life. I was told that they had stumbled on to what was going on. (organized crime) To this day I do not believe anyone was charged in the murder. So if you want to call me an idiot, I have broad shoulders and I alway consider the source. You, when you made this post was your 15th post, so perhaps you need to read the sticky at the top of the page and read about the rules here before posting again.

Spyder Garage

Those that know me know that I do not comment unless I have a good handle on the subject matter so I will give you a brief story of why I feel this way. About 12 years ago I started snowmobiling in Quebec and became friends with an administrator of a snowmobile trail conditions forum and sled theft was so high in the area of which he lived, he and a buddy started looking into the situation to which the police never seemed to care. To make this breif, his buddy was murdered and they burned his motel down and eventually my friend left Quebec in fear of his life. I was told that they had stumbled on to what was going on. (organized crime) To this day I do not believe anyone was charged in the murder. So if you want to call me an idiot, I have broad shoulders and I alway consider the source. You, when you made this post was your 15th post, so perhaps you need to read the sticky at the top of the page and read about the rules here before posting again.

You say that organized crime was responsible & I can fully agree with you. However it is then a big jump to lay the blame on the Provincial government. You name me a State that does not have a rampant organized crime problem. That does not mean that every State is in collusion with organized crime.

Quebec has set up an "organized crime task force" & it is run off its feet trying to keep up.

Quebec does its best to attract tourism from around the world & particularly from the US. It makes no sense to think they are in cahoots with people who are driving it away.

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

That's horrible. Stories like this make me extra cautious and prevent me from going anywhere.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    You say that organized crime was responsible & I can fully agree with you. However it is then a big jump to lay the blame on the Provincial government. You name me a State that does not have a rampant organized crime problem. That does not mean that every State is in collusion with organized crime.

Quebec has set up an "organized crime task force" & it is run off its feet trying to keep up.

Quebec does its best to attract tourism from around the world & particularly from the US. It makes no sense to think they are in cahoots with people who are driving it away.
    Exactly!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post

I can take that jump because I know more of the details however I will not be posting this on here. If they have an organized task force now, that an improvement from before I can understand why you feel the way you do.
    I can also tell you that this all happen less than one hour away from where that spyder was slolen and the same MO and the same response by the police years later.
    Last edited by rnet; 08-20-2012 at 01:22 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found some info that was on a public forum about this. http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=47475