Spyder Garage

Default Question about DPS recalls

I believe I am having the dreaded DPS issue on my '08 GS. Coming home from work, the steering got very tight in the turns when I was going around 30-40mph. It was scary, to put it mildly. I had read about the issue on here, and was afraid to really torque the handlebars, as I was afraid the DPS would kick in, and send me into the guardrail! It seemed like once I got out of the turn, and headed straight, the DPS kicked in again, but would act up on the next turn. I did notice that in town, going 25mph or less, it felt like normal. Anyways, my GS has around 11k on it, and when I purchased it awhile ago, the dealer said that at the 10k mile service, they had checked, and all recalls were up to date. I do have the service receipts from the PO, and I found one dated 10-15-10 that states a DPS recall was done. I'm wondering if that was the most recent DPS recall? I will call the dealer tomorrow and see if they can look at it. It's not showing any codes, so I'm not sure if the BUDS system can find anything or not. I have checked the relays/fuses in the frunk, and will check the battery cables. Anything else I could check? Thanks!

Jive

Spyder Garage

Get the dealer to report the issue to BRP and for BRP to confirm that the DPS was replaced.
    The best substitute for brains & knowledge is....................silence.

arntufun

Regardless if was done already or not, there is a problem and might need to be changed again.

Spyder Garage

I intend on calling the dealer today just to have them verify that the DPS was replaced. I did check the battery terminals, and the positive lead was loose. Not falling off loose, but loose enough to where you could move terminal wire easily with your finger. I took a very careful ride to work this morning, and had no issues. Are the DPS problems constant, or do they pop up randomly?

Jive

Spyder Garage

The original DPS problem was very erratic. I would have the DPS changed and go for 10,000 miles without a reoccurance. And then it would start to happen and it would be really erratic but always there until I got the DPS changed again. It sounds like the loose battery wire is your problem though. But if you have not had the DPS recall done then you should take care of that straight away.

http://bobspyder.wordpress.com/
    #610 2007-2009
    #104 2012....

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS ISSUE

Recently, I failed to put main relay #2 back into it's proper location ( stupid, stupid, stupid ) and I am 99 % sure my DPS (power steering ) was not functioning at all.....I barely noticed any difference except when stopped and trying to turn the handlebars......I actually liked it at high speed....I had my recall done last year......Mike....

Spyder Garage

Sure sounds like the old DPS problem. Since I don't have my GS anymore, there was a way you could physically look at the DPS and see if it was a Gen 2 version or not.... but I can't remember how. There were various DPS 'fixes' prior to the FINAL fix.. which was the Gen 2 DPS.

Regardless... you have a problem that needs addressing.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

The DPS is the biggest electrical draw on the Spyder and is very sensitive to loose battery terminals.

My DPS was replaced, then a year later was cutting in and out. The culprit: loose battery terminals .

Since you found and repaired the loose terminal, are you still having issues ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    The DPS is the biggest electrical draw on the Spyder and is very sensitive to loose battery terminals.

My DPS was replaced, then a year later was cutting in and out. The culprit: loose battery terminals .

Since you found and repaired the loose terminal, are you still having issues ?

No issues at all today. Went to the dealer, and he gave me a printout showing the DPS had been replaced. There is a ECM reprogram recall that needs done, but I doubt that affects the DPS. He also confirmed that a loose battery terminal will cause that, so I may be in the clear.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is all great information, I was riding yesterday and my steering was pretty difficult when I got to a tight turn twice yesterday. I will be sure to check on my battery teminals today before I ride.