Thread: Added XM today

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Added XM today

I added XM on my 2012 Lava RT today. I put it in the rear trunk using the Aux cord supplied with the bike (trike). I figured with all the stops for fuel I could change the station then.

J. D.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TexasSpyder; 07-21-2012 at 05:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default same idea...

Quote Originally Posted by 20Limited12 View Post
    I added XM on my 2012 Lava FRT today. I put it in the rear trunk using the Aux cord supplied with the bike (trike). I figured with all the stops for fuel I could change the station then.

J. D.
    Yep, I'm doing the same thing. I mounted the antenna on the top of the topcase right behind the seat. Figure that's the best place for reception.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas Spyder View Post
    Yep, I'm doing the same thing. I mounted the antenna on the top of the topcase right behind the seat. Figure that's the best place for reception.
    That's exactly what I did. Perfect place for the antenna. I have had great reception so far.

J. D.

Spyder Garage

I wish you good luck with your reception .
    Happy Owner

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I see you used the iPod plug... Plugs directly in the XM dock? We hooked Sue's to power only and broadcast over a radio frequency. Did you drill for the antenna or just run the wire over the trunk lip?

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone

I actually had Sirius added to my iPhone since my work van radio didn't have it. Now I can also use it on my RT but changing stations does require stopping.....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fastfraser View Post
    I wish you good luck with your reception .
    If you use bluetooth headsets between bikes you won't enjoy the XM reception if you are mounting the antenna on the top back of the RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRT-S View Post
    I see you used the iPod plug... Plugs directly in the XM dock? We hooked Sue's to power only and broadcast over a radio frequency. Did you drill for the antenna or just run the wire over the trunk lip?
    I used the Aux cable with a 1/8" plug, it is not the iPod cable.
    J. D.

Spyder Garage

We started this way, too, and using the stock antenna. You will have reception trouble, especially when riding 2 up. We even got the motorcycle antenna that looks like a cone, and still we had problems. If husband was driving, I could wiggle around and affect the reception. It was especially troublesome riding southernly.

We moved the GPS to the dash and had the XM put where the GPS was. The tall antenna is on the top of the right mirror. We do lose reception for the usual stuff now but no interference from riders. Works great and we are very very happy with this arrangement. We didn't do the work, we had our dealer do it.
    2016 RTS

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default XM

I finally replaced my Zumo XM for the stock Can Am one... day and night: almost no loss of signal, sound of better quality, expensive but worth the money on the 3000 miles we just did in the west with no normal radio reception. My only concern is the channel changing... its a pain to go right on the channel you like in one go, more like an hit and miss operation!!! Next is maybe some new speakers...