Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Throttle and Grip Position @ 55+ mph

Well the misses and I have about 130 miles now on our new RT-S. It's amazing how quickly I've become much more comfortable handling it. I've got a question about grip and highway speeds though.

So far, I've taken her up to 55 on our outer road and 65 on a quick highway trip (2 exits). I find that at 55 and above, I have to have my wrist down so far that it breaks a straight plane and can be somewhat uncomfortable.

Is there anything I can do so that at that speed my wrist isn't so bent? Would grip buddies allow me to get a higher speed without pulling back on the throttle so far? I've got the stock grips and wear grippy gloves so I don't feel like I can sorta slide my wrist up and over to regrip without slowing down considerably by letting off the throttle. Since we are completely new to cycles, is this just normal and our wrists will get stronger and more used to it?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HedonismBot View Post
    Well the misses and I have about 130 miles now on our new RT-S. It's amazing how quickly I've become much more comfortable handling it. I've got a question about grip and highway speeds though.

So far, I've taken her up to 55 on our outer road and 65 on a quick highway trip (2 exits). I find that at 55 and above, I have to have my wrist down so far that it breaks a straight plane and can be somewhat uncomfortable.

Is there anything I can do so that at that speed my wrist isn't so bent? Would grip buddies allow me to get a higher speed without pulling back on the throttle so far? I've got the stock grips and wear grippy gloves so I don't feel like I can sorta slide my wrist up and over to regrip without slowing down considerably by letting off the throttle. Since we are completely new to cycles, is this just normal and our wrists will get stronger and more used to it?
    You just grab another hand full of throttle also there is a plastic device called throttle rocker or cramp buster that help you not have to grip so hard and just lean on the gas

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I guess that's my problem. I haven't figured out how to grab another handful of throttle with completely letting go of it

Any tips?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that's my problem. I haven't figured out how to grab another handful of throttle with completely letting go of it

Any tips?
    Start off further up on your grip. It will only be too far up at the beginning. Most of it is more time riding until you figure out your sweet spot, and then it will be second nature.
    Grip Buddies won't help with where you grab the throttle.
    Last edited by Blue Star; 07-22-2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control

I set my cruise control often, then just let my hand relax.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any tips?
    You can try simply grabbing on further up over the top from the start. That way; as you roll it on, you don't end up with such an angle on your wrist.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I "walk" my hand up to get back to a comfortable position. Also now with the spyder as said i set the cruise and reset my hand.

Josh

magical member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Spyder View Post
    I set my cruise control often, then just let my hand relax.

Harry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by harrypottar View Post

Harry
    x2 - I use the cruise all over the place - Hwy or city streets. Saves my beans on speeding tickets too

Spyder Garage

I've used something like a "Crampbuster" for the problem you describe. It's like a little paddle that clamps onto the throttle and you can just rest the heel of your hand on it. At first it seems in the way, especially at lower speeds, but once you're used to it being there, it's great.

Rod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryde safe,
    Rod.

'08 GS SM5 Full Moon -- after 15,000km sold May'11
    '10 RT A+C SE5 Full Moon -- after 30,700km traded in 2014
    '17 RTL Pearl White -- new-to-me in 2023

"I guess its better to bend a valve in Missoula than to lose your mind in Bozeman", my wife said, patting my hand as if to console me. I winced and wondered if Phaedrus ever took the bus." -Peter Egan, Leanings

CanAm Highway goes from Texas along U.S. Route 85 and Interstate 25 into Saskatchewan, Canada.<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CanAm_Highway>

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wonderful tips from the experts

Thanks for all the advice. I'll change my grip up a bit and try out the cruise control on some non-busy roads at first.

Spyder Garage

also. Changing grip position and using cruise control helps a lot.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red