Spyder Garage

Default Street Magic windshield from ESI

I haven't done much typing because my finger has been bothering me but I thought I would give a short review of the ESI shorty shield I had put on in Chicago.

First off I really like how it looks on the RT. I've never been a BIG windshield fan but if you're going to have one you might as well have one that works good for you. The stock shield was a little too tall for me because I like looking over the shield and not through it. When I dropped the stock one all the way down I really had to sit up straight to look over it. Now I can see right over the top no problem.

The other thing I noticed is you still get good wind protection but in the heat like we had up there is was nice to get a little more flow around my head to help cool me down. If I raise it all the way up now it's pretty much like the stock one was all the way down.

I put about 650 miles on it and I loved it. It kept the wind off my chest but I still felt like I was riding a motorcycle going down the road. There was no wind buffeting at all at any speeds. To me this was like the Corbin seat, even though the stock was not that bad, this was much better.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for posting this info. It actually has helped me decide to not get one of the short ones . If I lower mine all the way down most of my head is above the windshield. But when mine is all the way up, my eyes are right in line to the top of the windshield. Very irritating for me. Gives me blurred vision...

I will be looking into getting a taller one instead

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cup Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    I haven't done much typing because my finger has been bothering me but I thought I would give a short review of the ESI shorty shield I had put on in Chicago.

First off I really like how it looks on the RT. I've never been a BIG windshield fan but if you're going to have one you might as well have one that works good for you. The stock shield was a little too tall for me because I like looking over the shield and not through it. When I dropped the stock one all the way down I really had to sit up straight to look over it. Now I can see right over the top no problem.

The other thing I noticed is you still get good wind protection but in the heat like we had up there is was nice to get a little more flow around my head to help cool me down. If I raise it all the way up now it's pretty much like the stock one was all the way down.

I put about 650 miles on it and I loved it. It kept the wind off my chest but I still felt like I was riding a motorcycle going down the road. There was no wind buffeting at all at any speeds. To me this was like the Corbin seat, even though the stock was not that bad, this was much better.

The cup holder looks good too, where did you get that?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the review!

The Short Wide Sheild you have (3 inches shorter and 5 total inches wider) is my favorite too.

I am old school and like to look over the shield and I was just too short to do it with the stock shield.

I also find the wide shield helped me with the wind buffeting around my shoulders and neck area too.

Glad it works well for you, I know you're not a big "windshield guy" at heart, so hearing you liked it is good news!

MM

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lamont, Your shield looks awesome. I may try the wide version in the near future. I love my SSS version and it performed great on the 2K+ mile trip up and back from Chicago.

RT-S PE#0391
    Spyder Garage

Default Looks Good ...

Looks good, but I'm undecided. I'm not having any problems with the viewing angles over or through the stock screen, but I sure wish someone would design one with an adjustable vent in it like the ones from Clear View (http://clearviewshields.com) or as seen on the Goldwings. Maybe it's time to write Clearview a note to see if they're considering Can Am Spyders.

Then too, an upside to the shorty Lamont has might be slightly better mpg ... because the shorty wind screen decreases slightly the total area of resistance on the front of the bike and 'the barn door' just got a little smaller.

I like it ... I just think I'll wait for next year's aftermarket on the RT. Perhaps more providers will be doing more things.

Paul
    Last edited by SilverSurfer; 07-01-2010 at 06:14 AM.

RT-S PE#0180
    Spyder Garage

Default Windshield

Great review Lamont. I'm tall enough that the stock RT windshield is perfect. I, like many others, would love to have a Goldwind type vent in my windshield. I talked to my Can-Am dealer and he is also a Honda dealer. He said he could order the parts for the vent arangement for me. Now, all I have to do is compare the profile of my Rt windshield with that of a goldwind. If the same, it would just be a matter of removing my windshield, cutting the opening and bloting the vent parts in. Just looking at both without actual measuring, I think it might be close enough to work. wondering if anyone else out there has already made this modification?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Can someone help with a link? I've found ESI but no shields...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRT-S View Post
    Can someone help with a link? I've found ESI but no shields...
    Go to the bottom of this page.
    http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am...indshields.htm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks Lamont!
    Since I'm almost to the point of wanting/needing a new windshield, this information may be very handy in the near future...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Thanks Lamont!
    Since I'm almost to the point of wanting/needing a new windshield, this information may be very handy in the near future...
    ^^^^^^ What he said!^^^^^^ Thank you!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by frank3 View Post
    Great review Lamont. I'm tall enough that the stock RT windshield is perfect. I, like many others, would love to have a Goldwind type vent in my windshield. I talked to my Can-Am dealer and he is also a Honda dealer. He said he could order the parts for the vent arangement for me. Now, all I have to do is compare the profile of my Rt windshield with that of a goldwind. If the same, it would just be a matter of removing my windshield, cutting the opening and bloting the vent parts in. Just looking at both without actual measuring, I think it might be close enough to work. wondering if anyone else out there has already made this modification?

Here ya go...http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-vent-a-little