Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F i r e !

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default F i r e !

How many of you have a fire extinguisher on your Spyder RS's? I just saw another Spyder RS, number 10 that I have know of, that caught on fire and saw the damage to it at my dealer, the owner had a fire extinguisher and a small amount damage.

Mike

chickridin

Holly crap! If we have to carry a fire extinguisher while riding a Spyder, I'm not to sure I want to continue riding mine!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It might not be a bad idea to carry one in any vehicle, you never know when you might need one. Dale

Spyder Garage

My opinion was always that I'd let mine burn to the ground if this happened. Try and put it out and you could get seriously hurt. I'd step away, call 911 and let the professionals deal with putting it out....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can't say I've ever worried before about our modes of transportation catching fire, but I guess any of them could, not just the Spyder. It would be interesting to know what the total number (and percentage) of Spyder fires actually is. We're getting a misleading idea about the numbers, I'm sure, since those of us without fires don't post THAT. We have fire extinguishers in the toyhauler but we haven't tended to take one with us when riding the Spyder, nor do we carry them in the car or truck. Might need to reassess that.
    Last edited by DocRags; 07-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Comprehensive and liability insurance is dirt cheap. Gas fed fires expand rapidly, you would need to be able to access and activate an extinguisher VERY quickly. Waiting for professionals to extinguish it is more a matter of them sweeping up the remains.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    My opinion was always that I'd let mine burn to the ground if this happened. Try and put it out and you could get seriously hurt. I'd step away, call 911 and let the professionals deal with putting it out....

take a video
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Fighting any vehicle fire is a high risk task. Fumes and smoke alone are just as deadly as the fire itself. Newer vehicles with more plastics in the interior and foam cushioning for seats release highly toxic fumes. One thing I teach in C.E.R.T. if your going to attempt extinguishing a car fire never raise the hood all the way on an engine fire, crack it a few inches and put the nozzle of the etinguisher in the opening and pull the trigger. Raising the hood all the way introduces a rush of fresh air and WHOOSH, that small fire takes off. Most fire departments now use foam on vehicle fires instead of water. Works better and knocks it out faster. If there is not an immediate threat to life or other property, leave it to the pros.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Let it burn.

(Would YOU want to ride a "rebuilt" burned Spyder? If mine ever caught fire, I'd want it to toast right past the point of insurance totaling, thank you very much! )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Let it burn.

(Would YOU want to ride a "rebuilt" burned Spyder? If mine ever caught fire, I'd want it to toast right past the point of insurance totaling, thank you very much! )

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I carry a fire extinguisher in the trunk but not for the Spyder as if it caught fire I doubt I could access it fast enough to do much good other than getting hurt myself.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default i'm with you on this one!

Let it burn.

let er burn!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Not a Problem

Spyder fires are not a problem. As far as we can tell from what has been reported on Spyderlovers, there have been no RT fires, and the GS fires have been on 2008 models that did not have the evaporative canister modification. If you have a 2008 Spyder, make sure there is a long vent hose from the evaporative canister leading forward toward the radiator. If you are uneasy about the risk of fire, do a canisterectomy (search term on Spyderlovers). My 2009 GS has the canisterectomy, my 2011 RT does not. I feel my Spyders are no more prone to fires than is my 2012 Ford - not a problem.

If you have any facts that condradicts my assertions, please let us know about them.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

WaltH, you are so wrong about the fires on the 08's. My wifes just caught fire last weekend, you can read my post on shoptalk titaled" Fire in the hole". This machine had the Pipes wrapped, cannister removed. What caught fire was the foam under the foil attached to the lower side panel. When I got my wife attension an pulled over there were flames starting to exit between the upper an lower panels, with dripping plastic an flames falling to the ground. I got the fire out with only a few minor burns on 2 finger, but it sure trashed a good pair of gloves. So you would be wise to know the facts first before posting, my thread has been on the forum for a week now, plenty time to have read it

Spyder Garage

I am also in the camp where I would let it burn. That's what my insurance is for. I also would not want to ride a fixed up "burned"

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

MOgang Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    WaltH, you are so wrong about the fires on the 08's. My wifes just caught fire last weekend, you can read my post on shoptalk titaled" Fire in the hole". This machine had the Pipes wrapped, cannister removed. What caught fire was the foam under the foil attached to the lower side panel. When I got my wife attension an pulled over there were flames starting to exit between the upper an lower panels, with dripping plastic an flames falling to the ground. I got the fire out with only a few minor burns on 2 finger, but it sure trashed a good pair of gloves. So you would be wise to know the facts first before posting, my thread has been on the forum for a week now, plenty time to have read it
    Not trying to start an argument or anything but just because you were able to pinpoint the source of your fire doesn't mean that most of the others weren't started by something else or by the evap canister, specially ones that weren't updated with the longer vent hose. And before I get lectured about making such a statement before doing some reading I do know what I'm talking about since my Spyder has been on fire before already and it was determined that it was due to canister that didn't have the updated longer vent hose.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I also agree to just let it burn. Being married to a retired volunteer fireman/EMT, and instructor, I have been taught to not put myself or others in jeopardy, no matter what type of fire it may be. I know how to handle kitchen fires, some vehicle fires, but I would have to leave it to the pros. I would not want to be ryding a Spyder nicknamed "Crisp".

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    Comprehensive and liability insurance is dirt cheap. Gas fed fires expand rapidly, you would need to be able to access and activate an extinguisher VERY quickly. Waiting for professionals to extinguish it is more a matter of them sweeping up the remains.
    GAS FED IT WOULD HAVE TO HAPPEN 5 MINUTES AFTER I PULL AWAY FROM THE PUMP, BECAUSE AFTER TEN MINUTES OF RIDING I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH GAS LEFT TO START A FIRE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by madjack View Post
    Sorry, madjack, but I've been off the site for a few weeks; so, I have a question. What ignited the foam? If the answer is in "Fire in the hole", let me know and I'll look for that post.

Okay, I'm back to silent running again.

Spyder Garage

Mad jack. .... Walt had one of the first spyders that went up in flames. Of the dozen or so that have burned that I'm aware of and have been posted out here-- I believe ALL of the were 2008's..... And I believe other than you--- all of them still had the evap canister still intact.

Yours is the odd one out for sure.

I believe the evap canister setup on the original 2008's IS the problem with most of the fires.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK fire joe, I don't doubt for a minute that there have been fires attributed to the canisters. but seeing the origin of my wifes fire, makes me wonder if it isn't too easy to just blame the canister, when an if the fire starts directly below the canister an the resulting damage is sever enough to destroy valuable evidence. Once you stand back an let one of these spyders burn wouldn't be much to investigate. So I'm sure there are several ways that they can burn down, and they ARE!!.

So theres no argument here my friends, just hoping we can get to the bottom of this burning of the spyders and get it ended. Gene

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Let it burn.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

wyliec, This is the question that I keep asking, ignition piont was deffinantly on the bottom edge of the foam on the inside of the lower side panel. But this foam dosen't just flash to flame in its normal state, but after time is it changing charateristics in some way that allow a earlier or lower flashpiont I don't know. The spyder had only been running for maybe 15 minutes when the fire started, it was midnight so not the heat of the day. I'll keep searching for a answer, got any ideas? , I'm all ears. Gene

Spyder Garage

If you have to put out a fire you need the best tool to do the job. Here's a product that handles almost any situation. I don't pretend to know the science of how it works, but I have used it and I know first hand that it does what they claim. I keep a 2.5 gal unit in the garage in case I ever need it. How it works link is below.

You can get bike or car sized units here
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CEgQ8wIwAA
    Regardless of how good a tool is there are times when you need to use good sense and not put yourself in a dangerous situation. No material thing is worth risking your life for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Mad jack. .... Walt had one of the first spyders that went up in flames. Of the dozen or so that have burned that I'm aware of and have been posted out here-- I believe ALL of the were 2008's..... And I believe other than you--- all of them still had the evap canister still intact.

Yours is the odd one out for sure.

I believe the evap canister setup on the original 2008's IS the problem with most of the fires.
    The one I saw the other day was a 2009 RS/GS. The RT only came out in 2010. I think it's the age and the number of hours of use that something to do with it. I am not looking to fight the fire, just to give me time to get off the RS due to being Handicapped. I don't want to be the first BBQed Spryder rider. That's IMHO.

Mike