Threaded View

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes. The only time you'll want to shift to 5th gear is when you are cruising at a constant speed above 65 on level terrain.

Too many people think that since a vehicle has 5-gears that they always need to "get to" the highest gear. That thought process is wrong, and can be at the root of several problems for a vehicle later-on as the added stress to the drivetrain can cause eventual failures.

Re-read the updated version of the list regarding RPM's.

I never shift until I see the 5,100 RPM range. That includes all gears, except maybe first to second, of which I shift in the 22 to 28 MPH range. Otherwise... it is at the 5,100 RPM range.

What you will notice is that your Rotax engine will actually run quieter, smoother, and have more power at your disposal at the throttle.

I have noticed many Spyder owners lugging their engines trying to get to the next gear as soon as possible and then cruising around in 5th gear with the RPM's in the 3,000 range. These people should be treated as poorly as they are treating the engine and drivetrain!

EDIT: Also you may find when operating at higher RPM's is you will not have the belt-vibration problem commonly heard about from Spyder owners. My first thought when reading about belt-vibrations is that these individuals are likely running at too low of RPM's most of the time for the gear they are in. Belt vibrations typically occur in the 5,000 to 5,500 RPM range. At that RPM range, the Spyder should be in 4th gear if you are cruising at that pace. Higher RPM's while in the "right" gear doesn't guarantee no vibrations; but you'll find belt vibrations are very infrequent.

Try this advice for a while and see if your experience with your Spyder doesn't "go-up" a notch or two. I believe it will...
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 07-07-2012 at 11:14 AM.