Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Why the Rush to Add MODS on a Brand New Spyder?

Just finished reading a post where a fellow Spyderlover was in limp mode. Consensus seems to be the new L.E.D. taillights he installed last week might be causing the problem. Unfortunately, he was on a long trip (outside Nashville) when his Spyder went into Limp mode.

My question is simple. Why do so many Spyderlovers buy and IMMEDIATELY start tinkering with the darn thing? I guess I can understand comfort features (seats, foot pegs, etc.) somewhat but what is the urgency to start changing the electrical systems, particularly on a trike well-known for its sensitivity?

One of the locals bought a RT Limited and he was switching out the seat, installing a handbrake (said it felt weird not to have the handbrake he was familiar with on his old bike), new foot pegs, L.E.D. lighting all around, etc. within the first few days of ownership. This was on top of him paying top dollar at the dealership for his RT. WHY?

Sometimes I read these posts about MODS and I am picturing a kid on Christmas day getting the favorite toy they asked Santa to bring, but immediately trying to figure out ways to "make it better."

I have read articles about lopping off the old muffler; swapping out shocks; changing tire pressure; adding new L.E.D. lights; wiring in new gauges; changing out the foot pegs; adding handbrakes; installing powerlets; etc. and they have barely owned their Spyder.

Can't people take the time to get used to their Spyder, out-of-the-box, before making all the changes?
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 07-04-2012 at 06:13 PM.

Spyder Garage

I was just sitting here thinking the same thing. I wonder how many of these failures we read about are related to "mods". I have added nothing to my RTS, and have had zero issues ,never a limp, no issues starting even after sitting for weeks, etc etc etc.

On the other hand, I love what some have done to their Spyders....

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Seems like a silly question to ask, but I'll play.

I'd say the same reason that you probably bought your Spyder. For the "enjoyment of it". I have my share of mods and none have caused issues. most mods, offered by the supporting vendors here, cause no problem if properly installed. And they add to the joy of Spyder ownership. So if I enjoy doing that to my expensive toy, it shouldn't cause concern for others.

And edited because FlamingoBabe does make a good point below. Some are for safety reasons.

Among the first items for me was the high brake light. A must have for me. And also the hand brake you mentioned, I added from ISCI, simply for safety as my right leg is gimpy from a previous wreck, and having that hand brake really helps me.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 07-04-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

People do the same things with cars... It's normal to want to "make it your own".
    The guy outside of Nashville has an 08, or 09, so how long do we need to wait?

Spyder Garage

Default My wife did the same with Me!

This thread reminded me of getting married. My wife started working on my mods almost immediately!!!

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

the lights are for safety....to see you better...but most of the guys are just "gear-heads" and have to tinker with stuff....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3Willie View Post
    This thread reminded me of getting married. My wife started working on my mods almost immediately!!!
    Very true Willie. Where ya been? Haven't seen you yet this summer. We need to get FarmerJim and do a dinner run somewhere! Getting to be more Spyders in our area. Have you noticed?

Spyder Garage

Default good point

you make a very good point knar. i think most people don't mod. the ones that do might post about it here.majority of spyderlovers rarely post about Anything. i've done a ton of mods, but it has become a hobby for me. having some skills, i've been able to do alot inexpensively
    Last edited by coz; 07-04-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

My wife ask me the same question all the time.

"THE DOG SLED"
    2011 Spyder Can Am RTS SM5 (Orbital Blue)
    Nuvi 550 GPS With Ram Mount
    Drink 2 Go Cup Holder
    KewlMetal RT Run-Turn-Brake LED
    GloRyder Wolf Paw (in blue)
    DMWMS Decal
    IPS w/
    Alaska Leather Sheepskin Butt Pad
    TricLed - Brake Pedal
    Chrome Shortee Antenna

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After a year of seat time, and what a great year it was! I am pecking away at my mod list. It was hard to hold back but I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to get things that I really did not need. I am having fun visiting with other spyder owners and looking forward to Spyder in the Redwoods next month with most mods completed off my current list.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I've got a 2010 RT A&C SE5 and love the bike. Rode for 2 years and then the "wheels" started turning. This year I started adding some mods because it was now time to make the byke "my own"! Maybe it's a car thing, maybe it's a female thing...whatever, but I noticed after a couple of years, my artificial knees wanted more options on the longer rydes, so I added the Seal floorbaords...possibly the best mod ever! Thanks John!

After that, I did add lights to the front fenders and the hi mount brake light for visibility. I'm a firm believer that you can never be too visible!!! After that, the graphics...well, that was purely for me since the bike has been my dragon since the first time I saw her. With that said, mods are personal in nature yet with many additional functional components. I pretty much stick with my dad's philosophy ..."to each, his/her own and more power to 'em"!

Diana

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can see the logic to both approaches.. On my first Spyder I moved slowly with mods to make sure I was only adding what I would really need or enjoy. On my second Spyder I moved quickly because I knew what I liked and wanted to enjoy them for the max time so the sooner the mod the longer i have it.

Spyder Garage

It's in my DNA to mod things. Can't help it.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    It's in my DNA to mod things. Can't help it.
    LOL.
    And when you see Lamont's Spyder in a group of 500 or so like at Durango, there is NO mistake of whose it is. And the added benefit is that you never hop on someone else's bike to try to start it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Just finished reading a post where a fellow Spyderlover was in limp mode. Consensus seems to be the new L.E.D. taillights he installed last week might be causing the problem. Unfortunately, he was on a long trip (outside Nashville) when his Spyder went into Limp mode.

My question is simple. Why do so many Spyderlovers buy and IMMEDIATELY start tinkering with the darn thing? I guess I can understand comfort features (seats, foot pegs, etc.) somewhat but what is the urgency to start changing the electrical systems, particularly on a trike well-known for its sensitivity?

One of the locals bought a RT Limited and he was switching out the seat, installing a handbrake (said it felt weird not have a the handbrake he familiar with on his old bike), new foot pegs, L.E.D. lighting all around, etc. within the first few days of ownership. This was on top of him paying top dollar at the dealership for his RT. WHY?

Sometimes I read these posts about MODS and I am picturing a kid on Christmas day getting the favorite toy they asked Santa to bring, but immediately trying to figure out ways to "make it better."

I have read articles about lopping off the old muffler; swapping out shocks; changing tire pressure; adding new L.E.D. lights; wiring in new gauges; changing out the foot pegs; adding handbrakes; installing powerlets; etc. and they have barely owned their Spyder.

Can't people take the time to get used to their Spyder, out-of-the-box, before making all the changes?

We just purchased ours and have a list of MODS we want to purchase and the first one is a LED lights for the rear brake area... I just feel it will help us to be more visible to other vehicles. Having a Spyder is exciting and it's not that people are wanting to change it, they just want to ADD to it, some is for safety, some is for comfort. It might be a while before we get to purchase the MODS but we will add to it, becasue we are keeping the SPYDER for life..I can see a upgrade in about 3 years when new models come out, etc... but right now we LOVE our 2012!!!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have owned 35+ motorcycles and now a 2012 Limited, the wonderful part of ownership is making it your own, I couldn't imagine riding a stock anything... 99% of every motorcycle rider that I come in contact with feels the same. Motorcycling has been my hobby for 40 years and the best part of buying a brand new bike is giving it all the special touches that make it your own. Then sell it and start over.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reason I mod? Because my bike *wasn't* perfect out of the box, that's why.

My first mods WERE all electrical-- I went to ESI and went to town on the extra lighting. Why? Safety first. My first day out riding, coming home from a parking lot with my GF behind me, she says the words, "I really can't see your brake light going off." I knew then that if *she* couldn't see it-- and she was looking!-- then most other drivers weren't going to see it.

Thankfully, none of the electrical mods I've done have done anything at all to damage the bike. Never got a limp mode, never had anything funny happen. Guess I just read the instructions right .

As for the rest-- pegs, floorboards, risers, windshield, seat, etc., etc.-- again, the Spyder wasn't perfect. It's great, a great starting point, but for me and my body and my riding style it wasn't what I wanted. With a little money, a little patience, and a good attitude, my Spyder is now just that: my Spyder, and it fits me like a glove, as if those crazy French-Canadians had designed it for me in the first place.

Spyder Garage

With my first Spyder - 2008 GS Premier Edition, I waited 5,000 miles before doing any mods. Of course back then the mods were limited.

Now with my new RT, I've started doing some things right off the bat.... mainly because of the great knowledge learned out here and there are so many great mods available.

I had Elka's installed before she even left the showroom floor and have more mods coming to make the Spyder more comfortable and add features I want.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Spyder Garage

All my mods have been for safety or comfort and were started within months of purchase. No performance mods for me on the spyder. I got that out of my system with one of my last cars- Dodge Caliber SRT.

Someone above mentioned getting LED's for brake lights. JMO, but the only place I'd purchase those would be from a site supporting sponsor that has actually tested them.

Oh, one more thing. We are all entitled to our opinion. So, I'll say this question/post is not 'silly' and leave it at that so that I am not accused of making a thread go South, again.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Silver Seal came with a Utopia back rest, third tail light, Elak's and Farris custom paint job, all part of the SpyderFest custom package in '11. I added my Seal FloorBoards, Diamond Arm rests,, Baker Air Wings and SpyderPops heat shield.All designed to add comfort to my ride. Haven't done much electrical except Reggy's fender lights. I do worry about having anything done electrical that is not done by a trusted Spyder mechanic.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Spyder Garage

Interesting discussion - having come from 2 different "biker" groups. The Harley folks do "chrome," the BMW folks do "farkels" and the Spyder folks do "mods." Someone could do an interesting (maybe) socialogical study of these groups.
    As for me, the best so far were the heat stuff from SpyderPops, the Madstad windscreen, and the Utopia back rest.

And for me, it's always ATGATT - just my usual humble opinion.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have THE answer: life is all about tinkering

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post

One of the locals bought a RT Limited and he was switching out the seat, installing a handbrake (said it felt weird not have a the handbrake he familiar with on his old bike), new foot pegs, L.E.D. lighting all around, etc. within the first few days of ownership. This was on top of him paying top dollar at the dealership for his RT. WHY?

Some like vanilla and some like chocolate. Kind of what today (July 4th) is all about....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Simple answer. Most Spyder buyers have so much money that the mere purchase outlay (even at MSRP) is not enough to put a dent in their pockets. Thus more must be spent in the effort to say we have helped the economy start moving. None of the mods are really anything that we need or want but just a way to lighten the load of carring all that money around.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Why do some people like plain ice cream while others like sprinkles? These things are personal preferences...much like options on an automobile. Some peple want them and some see no need. One side of the fence will likely never understand the other. It's all good. If you like your Spyder the way it was born...stick with it. If you feel the need for more lights for safety, so be it. If you want your Spyder to be different than anyone else's, that's good too.

The problem with the LED taillight mod really lies in going off and doing something without thoroughly researching the consequences. This issue has been discussed numerous times. If you are doing something (or use a product) that has not yet been not proven to work, or has yet to be tried at all, you have to expect the possibility of failure. Same goes if you don't have the skills or knowledge to do a mod properly. The Spyder is no place to learn about complex wiring procedures, for example. All CANBus vehicles have a certain sensitivity to electrical or electronic mods, and must be handled with kid gloves. With modern vehicles, mods are not necessarily bad, but some work and some don't. An owner should proceed with caution or use a proven product or procedure.