Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Throttlemeister throttle lock

I see Throttlemeister has a bar end throttle lock for the spyder, anyone try it yet or have any experience with them...they look really clean and don't take any grip space away...a little expensive though
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    I see Throttlemeister has a bar end throttle lock for the spyder, anyone try it yet or have any experience with them...they look really clean and don't take any grip space away...a little expensive though
    I have one on my BMW RT, and put another on my wife's Spyder. Love them...wouldn't ride without one.
    -Scotty

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    I have one on my BMW RT, and put another on my wife's Spyder. Love them...wouldn't ride without one.
    -Scotty
    How about a link ??

thanks

Spyder Garage

I love mine and I am so glad I had it for the long haul to Quebec and also on our UP trip. It is wonderful. You can order directly through Throttlemeister at http://www.throttlemeister.com/ or we got ours at http://www.i-bike.com/ and saved a few bucks but we didn't have the option of black, that I noticed anyway. A little expensive but a very easy install vs a complicated install for real cruise control like Audivox.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sadly, it doesn't work my Kuryakyn grips so I had to pass.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I see they have the Spyder on the webpage, and in the gallery, but still dont list it in the applications.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From my invoice:

FH & SPY-1-H (for Heavy) $152.00
    Black finish 10.00

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    I see they have the Spyder on the webpage, and in the gallery, but still dont list it in the applications.
    They can fix you up, though. Ours has been installed since April. Just call 414-464-6060 and they will provide the correct application. You need to pick standard or heavy (we have standard) and select the type of finish. I have the standard silver on my BMW, and black on the Spyder. Both are excellent.
    Scotty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJohn View Post
    Click on "Products" on the home page. The next window that appears lists a bunch of different models, including Can-Am. Click on that, and it will take you to the page showing the product specific to the Spyder.

Bruce

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I finally found it. Thanks!!!!

I had one of these on my LC1500 and again on my ST1300. Good stuff!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can one of you explain what the mechanical action of this product...I see the video, but it's just a hand twisting a bar end.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daddydarko View Post
    Sadly, it doesn't work my Kuryakyn grips so I had to pass.
    One for Mr Darko
    http://www.throttlemate.com/
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Can one of you explain what the mechanical action of this product...I see the video, but it's just a hand twisting a bar end.

You remove the stock bar end cap and install a friction plate or bushing, whatever they call the thing, under the end of the grip and over the end of the throttle sleeve. Then you install the Throttlemeister bar end that has an internal friction ring that extends when you twist the Throttlemeister towards you and retracts when you twist it away from you. That friction ring presses against the friction bushing preventing the throttle from returning to its normal position. This also allows you to adjust the throttle higher or lower with the Throttlemeister engaged to regulate your speed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So you need to use it at higher rpms or does it grab the moment you twist the throttle?
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

When the Throttlemeister is engaged, its 'grabbing' the throttle, holding it in position.
    Doesn't matter if you are at 1 % throttle, 20 % throttle or 90 % throttle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It says on the website that it is possible to re-fit a previously purchased Throttlemeister to another motorcycle should the owner change machines. They aren't really responding to email, so if anyone has done this how much was it...I'd hate to buy one and not get to keep it if I wanted to at 150.00.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    When the Throttlemeister is engaged, its 'grabbing' the throttle, holding it in position.
    Doesn't matter if you are at 1 % throttle, 20 % throttle or 90 % throttle.
    When engaged, running , is there a quick release to disengage?
    Such as moving the handle bar throttle or ??

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    When engaged, running , is there a quick release to disengage?
    Such as moving the handle bar throttle or ??
    You always have full control of the throttle. You can speed it up or slow it down any time, as little or as much as you want. You can control the throttle while in the locked position, which is nice. When you take your hand off the throttle, that is the speed it will stay at (within reason) It is not a true cruise control and it will either pick up speed or loose speed with your hand off the throttle for long periods of time. It is just nice to be able to let go and relax that throttle hand for short bursts, especially on the long hauls. Also, at any time you can turn the bar end and release the throttlemeister which totally unlocks your throttle and it will "spring" back to it's original position when you let go, just as if you never had it on. I love mine and I am glad I invested the money into it.
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It says on the website that it is possible to re-fit a previously purchased Throttlemeister to another motorcycle should the owner change machines. They aren't really responding to email, so if anyone has done this how much was it...I'd hate to buy one and not get to keep it if I wanted to at 150.00.
    I have not done this, but I see no reason why one couldn't. The unit you will receive fits a standard 7/8" bar. As long as the handlebars are the right size, hollow, and empty for sufficient length to insert the Throttlemeister, and as long as you don't have closed end grips, or other grip mods that would interfere, I see no reason why you could not transfer things. Might be a bit of trouble getting the friction bushing back out of your throttle intact. I have never tried. The installation also does not alter the bike in any permanent way, so just slip the original bar caps or ends back in, and everything is back to normal.
    -Scotty