Thread: Gas milage

Spyder Garage

Default Gas milage

When to a Pure one in Fancy Gap, off the Blue Ridge Parkway, filled my 2011 RTS with 93 octane non ethanol drove over two hundred miles stopped to refill with 4.6 gallons, as much as it would take!! got a picture to prove it. see attached, you do the math, yeah, 44 mpg, that's ups and downs, starts and stops, some nanny assisted curves, strange as it may seem, the motor loved it and is running better mileage ever since
    DSC01160.jpg

Spyder Garage

Default WOW!

That is amazing!
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow I thought my 34 avg was good. You da man.

Spyder Garage

That appears to be the record so far.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I hope I can do that with the RT-S. I think you have the RECORD!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Orange View Post
    Although on the surface this does seem impressive this number was obtained at BRP speed limits. How has your mpg been at highway speeds?

Below 5000 RPM 28 to 30 normal for my 2010 RT above 5000 RPM 25 to 28 this is on regular at $3.80 for a gallon. My buddies hopped up Harley gets 43 MPG and will run the RT into the ground. The hills of WV do knock the mileage down and we don't have non-ethanol fuel available around here so that is not an option. Most of the owners around here get just about what I am stating I get so it is not unusual. The speed limit is 70 MPH most places on the interstate around here and you get run over if you keep it below 5000. Real sporty huh? Bill

Spyder Garage

Okay, Okay,,,,what's your secret!!!??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by johnwinslow View Post
    When to a Pure one in Fancy Gap, off the Blue Ridge Parkway, filled my 2011 RTS with 93 octane non ethanol drove over two hundred miles stopped to refill with 4.6 gallons, as much as it would take!! got a picture to prove it. see attached, you do the math, yeah, 44 mpg, that's ups and downs, starts and stops, some nanny assisted curves, strange as it may seem, the motor loved it and is running better mileage ever since
    DSC01160.jpg
    Hi John....yep I find similar results when I use non ethanol...I have the Pure Gas on my iphone...helps me locaate...ethanol is a bad deal no matter how you look at it....less mileage..not good on engine, etc etc etc....so when I can't find non I use an additive to remove...travel safe...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I can get 200 out of my RT "if 100 of it was behind my truck on a trailer"

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Hi John....yep I find similar results when I use non ethanol...I have the Pure Gas on my iphone...helps me locaate...ethanol is a bad deal no matter how you look at it....less mileage..not good on engine, etc etc etc....so when I can't find non I use an additive to remove...travel safe...
    What specific additive do you use to remove ethanol?
    2011 Pearl White RT Limited
    HMT Brake Light, Fender Tips Kit, Mudflap Lights, GloRyders, Seal Floorboards, Powerlet 12V, Garage Door Momentary Button, Bump Skid, Elka's Stage 1, Ultimate Sea, Air Wings

Member of the Woodstock Spyder Ryders (Illinois)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Your throttle. Then avoid Costco/ethanol stations. Look at pump. They have to post if they blend.

Invalid Emails
    Hampton On (Summer) Miramar Beach Fl (Winter)
    Spyder Garage

Default Government regulations?

I thought it was a law that gas companies had to use 10% ethanol at least to help get us out of dependence on foreign oil? Who or what company sells it without? I also thought that ethanol help boost octane ratings?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Rubbish - How do you save anything when the use of ethanol reduces milage 20%!!!! There have been several threads about ETOH use, all have shown a minimum of a 20% milage improvement - plus running cooler, quicker, and not ruining every piece of rubber it touches.

Ethanol gas is the death of boat motors, lawn mowers, and generators. Additives help keep the water out, but can't remove what's there.

If we get a greater % of ETOH forced on us, our toys will be history.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No "E" law exists. In fact, the gas stations that use it charge the same price per gallon, giving themselves a 10% raise. My 5.7L Hemi AND Rotax 990 run like crap on e-blends. My Tahoe which claims e85 friendly, drives fine but suffers lower mileage.

Don't even get me started on ethanol.
    Takes more energy to create than it saves..but then again, so do electrical cars.. Oh well

Spyders/Ethanol. No Bueno

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

on that fuel economy number! We're not going to get rid of ethanol, but this is a bit encouraging that if we can FIND the real juice; it's worth it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Around here in west Texas I normally average between 28 and 30 MPG but have gotten as high as 36 MPG when there was no wind and I was just easing along at 60 - 65 MPH. But I have gotten as high as 43+ MPG in the mountains around Taos, NM riding twisties all day. You might think that keeping the RPM's up in the lower gears would cause it to use more fuel but that's not true in this case. Wind resistance kills fuel mileage on the Spyder RT, so the slower your average speed is, the better mileage will be, even though the engine RPM may be high.

Using straight gasoline, when you're lucky enough to be able to buy it with no Ethanol, will help fuel mileage also. It is true that adding Ethanol increases octane rating but Ethanol produces less BTU per measure than gasoline so, all things being equal, it makes less power than straight gasoline.

Cotton

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Almost accidentally put 100 octane racing fuel in my Spyder today.... Not sure if it would have been okay in my Spyder... But the price was >$6/gal. Seriously doubt any mileage would have been worth a +50% increase in cost.

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think bikeguy says it all. Stay at the optimum power band and the engine will run most efficiently. Very true about the ethanol as well. The more carbons on the chain, the hotter the flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There are a lot of issues with smaller engines and ethanol... I try and stay away from it like the plague and also use the additive to remove the effects, purchased at the dealership, if I am unable to get ethanol free fuel.

Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention i do have a BUMPSKID installed, enjoyed meeting Spyderpops, at SF. I found a toad in between the plate and body, would that be a
    ROAD TOAD

Spyder Garage

DSC01160.jpg
    That old Pure gasoline is the best there is....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I installed Spyderpops Possum Pusher yesterday... Today I filled up with (Ethanol free fuel) and checked my mileage. To my surprise it was 36MPG, I just turned 2000 miles. Maybe the old Possum Pusher is helping. I am running BRP oil and I do believe full synthetic will also help a little and maybe a few more miles for the engine to really get broke in I may hit 38-40...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I forgot to mention i do have a BUMPSKID installed, enjoyed meeting Spyderpops, at SF. I found a toad in between the plate and body, would that be a
    ROAD TOAD
    Back in the 1970's Hodaka built a dual sport bike called a Road Toad. They also built off-road models called Super Rat and Combat Wombat.

Just some totally worthless information.

Cotton