Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default First Long Distance Ride/Ride of the Season

Since Viginia is having such wonderful weather this weekend, I was thinking that this would be a great weekend for both my first of the season and my first long distance ride. My father wants to see my bike so I was thinking I would ride up to West Virginia to see him. A 189 mile ride one way, avoiding highways.

Is there anything special I need to do for my Can Am before the first ride of the season? She has been sitting in a garage since October. I started her at least once every month to make sure the battery didn't go dead. I am thinking that I only need to give her a bath and then we will be ready to go. But I could be wrong, I have been riding for less than a year and I am still a little tentative.

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Check all fluids, air pressures & inspect tires before leaving. If you're due an oil change, go ahead and do it. Make sure all lights work properly. You might also invest in a good battery tender for storage. That will save your battery much better than starting it monthly to check it.

Also, make sure your riding skills are up to the trip. The winter months can leave them rusty.

Enjoy your trip.

arntufun

PLUS......IMO I would take her out for a short run to make sure all is well before I would just get on it and go on a trip.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    Check all fluids, air pressures & inspect tires before leaving. If you're due an oil change, go ahead and do it. Make sure all lights work properly. You might also invest in a good battery tender for storage. That will save your battery much better than starting it monthly to check it.

Also, make sure your riding skills are up to the trip. The winter months can leave them rusty.

Enjoy your trip.
    Thank you, I didn't think about the air pressure and fluids. I did inspect the tires an they look good. I only have 2,245 miles on her, so I don't think I need an oil change yet. Where do I get a battery tender? I don't have a lot of experience. I purchased the Spyder with 520 mile. I rode around my neighborhood for another 500 (and I mean circling a block, over and over again). The remaning miles are from riding to work and riding within my county on the back roads practicing. I also took the APEC Spyder class and didn't have any problems.

I told my father he would have to wait until I was confortable with the long trip. I think that I am ready for the trip and I won't be alone my husband will be on his Triumph following me, so if I get in trouble, help won't be far away.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    PLUS......IMO I would take her out for a short run to make sure all is well before I would just get on it and go on a trip.
    Test ride, got it. Am I testing my skills, the bike or both? Yeah I know both. Is it possible I forgot everything over the Winter? Is it a new learning process at the beginning of each season?

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

This is an excellent battery charger. It is fully automatic, meaning set it and forget it. It runs the battery through a monthly charging cycle that maximizes the batteries potential. I have three of them, one for each bike. It is also from one of the forum sponsors.

http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...pid=2737&str=0

They have a host of different chargers in case you want to look around.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bytemi View Post
    Where do I get a battery tender? I don't have a lot of experience.
    http://www.amazon.com/Xtreme-Pulse-B.../dp/B0030G7FW2

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good to hear from you again!! The advice you've seen here pretty much covers what you need, so I'm just saying "Hi!" , and you've been missed...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Good to hear from you again!! The advice you've seen here pretty much covers what you need, so I'm just saying "Hi!" , and you've been missed...
    Hi Bob, nice to hear from you. Life gets in the way sometimes, but I can't wait to get back out there. I don't plan on disapearing again and you know I talk (type) a lot. I hope you are prepared.

arntufun

Thank you, I didn't think about the air pressure and fluids. I did inspect the tires an they look good. I only have 2,245 miles on her, so I don't think I need an oil change yet. Where do I get a battery tender? I don't have a lot of experience. I purchased the Spyder with 520 mile. I rode around my neighborhood for another 500 (and I mean circling a block, over and over again). The remaning miles are from riding to work and riding within my county on the back roads practicing. I also took the APEC Spyder class and didn't have any problems.

I told my father he would have to wait until I was confortable with the long trip. I think that I am ready for the trip and I won't be alone my husband will be on his Triumph following me, so if I get in trouble, help won't be far away.

I know you bought the bike with 520 miles on it. Have you had the 600 miles service done or any other service ??? The oil should have been changed at 600 miles and your Spyder looked over checking all fluids. You also have a 08, have the service updates been done ???
    Last edited by arntufun; 03-14-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    This is an excellent battery charger. It is fully automatic, meaning set it and forget it. It runs the battery through a monthly charging cycle that maximizes the batteries potential. I have three of them, one for each bike. It is also from one of the forum sponsors.

http://www.directlineparts.com/produ...pid=2737&str=0

They have a host of different chargers in case you want to look around.
    Thank you Mark, I will take a look around. Supporting sponsors is important and so my battery life. I appreciate the advice and help.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I know you bought the bike with 520 miles on it. Have you had the 600 miles service done or any other service ??? The oil should have been changed at 600 miles and your Spyder looked over checking all fluids.
    The guy I bought the bike from had all the service done before I purchased it. I did take it Colemans and they said I was good. Did I miss something.

arntufun

The guy I bought the bike from had all the service done before I purchased it. I did take it Colemans and they said I was good. Did I miss something.

If you took it to a dealer and they ran your vin and said you were good, then your good. Test ride the Spyder before you go and enjoy your trip. Take pictures and post them when you return.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi, Have fun on your ride,
    And remember your skills might be rusty over the winter, But also most other drivers
    bike spotting skills are going to be rusty also, What with them not seeing many bikes on the road all winter.
    So just ride your ride and be careful out there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Bob, nice to hear from you. Life gets in the way sometimes, but I can't wait to get back out there. I don't plan on disapearing again and you know I talk (type) a lot. I hope you are prepared.

All set!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

The above posts have you covered. Enjoy your ride. That will put another 400 or so "experience miles" under your belt.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    The above posts have you covered. Enjoy your ride. That will put another 400 or so "experience miles" under your belt.
    Experience, yes that is very important. Its hard to belive that last year this time I had never been on a motorcycle as the driver and here I am getting ready for a 400 mile trip. I hope that I am up for it.

zrc

I hadn't ridden in 6 years, I got my spyder delivered, rode to the local love's to put gas in it (7 miles) the long way through slow traffic, then interstated 3 miles to my exit and 7 miles home. 1 hour later I rode to Cleveland, TN (9 miles via interstate). Then on to Chattanooga, TN via interstate (another 27 miles), then I figured screw it, and drove to Birmingham, AL to see my Girlfriend. (Around another 132 miles). 5 hours after getting my spyder I was almost 200 miles away from home and having a blast.

You got this covered Sister, I have faith in you!

[Edit]: Edited to protect the ignorant. AKA me.
    Last edited by zrc; 03-14-2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Learning to be more Gender observant.

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    I hadn't ridden in 6 years, I got my spyder delivered, rode to the local love's to put gas in it (7 miles) the long way through slow traffic, then interstated 3 miles to my exit and 7 miles home. 1 hour later I rode to Cleveland, TN (9 miles via interstate). Then on to Chattanooga, TN via interstate (another 27 miles), then I figured screw it, and drove to Birmingham, AL to see my Girlfriend. (Around another 132 miles). 5 hours after getting my spyder I was almost 200 miles away from home and having a blast.

You got this covered brother, I have faith in you!

I don't think she is a "brother"........... she's a "sister".

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default pre ride inspection

Since Viginia is having such wonderful weather this weekend, I was thinking that this would be a great weekend for both my first of the season and my first long distance ride. My father wants to see my bike so I was thinking I would ride up to West Virginia to see him. A 189 mile ride one way, avoiding highways.

Is there anything special I need to do for my Can Am before the first ride of the season? She has been sitting in a garage since October. I started her at least once every month to make sure the battery didn't go dead. I am thinking that I only need to give her a bath and then we will be ready to go. But I could be wrong, I have been riding for less than a year and I am still a little tentative.

In my 2011 RT operators guide is a very good pre-ride checklist on page 106. Don't know the year or model you have but you should have a operators guide.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't think she is a "brother"........... she's a "sister".
    You would be right, I am a sister, but I was going to let that one go.

zrc

Sorry

I edited the post to make it better! Being a n00b I didnt see anything gender specific except about the vehicle

So my ASSumption worked out, err not...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You got this covered Sister, I have faith in you!
    You can ask Bob, I am very tentative about what I can and can't do. He had to listen to all the stories and insecurity. But he also got the happy stories afterwards so I think he considered it a wash.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sorry

I edited the post to make it better! Being a n00b I didnt see anything gender specific except about the vehicle

So my ASSumption worked out, err not...
    Your right, I changed by Avatar to a picture of me until I lose my n00b status.

zrc

You can ask Bob, I am very tentative about what I can and can't do. He had to listen to all the stories and insecurity. But he also got the happy stories afterwards so I think he considered it a wash.
    Ah, I forget to be tentative most of the time, I actually was able to get the front left tire off the ground taking a turn on lunch, then the nanny attacked me. But it was cool for about .35 seconds, I was 2 wheeling on my 3 wheeler.