Spyder Garage

Default New Micron back firing?

I just installed the new Micron and 90deg pipe from MM.
    I'm suprised at the louder sound... I don't want to disturb the neighbors!

I did notice that as I tested it up the highway, I got a far enough Back Fire that prompted me to post this message.

Do I need to pull the power leads fom the battery for an hour to "reset" the computer Fuel to air ratio?

I do plan on getting a high performance air filter, I guess I'll have to do the same for that.

WHat is the norm?
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sopher View Post
    I just installed the new Micron and 90deg pipe from MM.
    I'm suprised at the louder sound... I don't want to disturb the neighbors!

I did notice that as I tested it up the highway, I got a far enough Back Fire that prompted me to post this message.

Do I need to pull the power leads fom the battery for an hour to "reset" the computer Fuel to air ratio?

I do plan on getting a high performance air filter, I guess I'll have to do the same for that.

WHat is the norm?
    I'm guessing but... if you're doing the air filter along with the Micron, then you'll need to make the fuel mixture richer. There's an O2 sensor modifier/eliminator available that probably does that... not sure who has it... but have seen it mentioned.

I don't think the stock ECU will adjust to that extent... but I've been wrong before...

Magic Man?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I did the Micron,and i will get the back fire once in awhile when letting off the gas.I have read its a tiny bit of fuel that creates this.Ever notice on Nascar when the guys are backing of the throttle in the turn and the flames shooting out,we might have the same thing going,don't mark those words.Love mine, sure set that motor free. PE#824

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What you're most likely hearing is a decel pop which is different from actual backfiring. I have a lot of experience with slip on exhaust and efi and it's highly unlikely that just adding a slip on would create a situation that is going to be damaging to the engine. Now adding a more free flowing air filter could lean out the engine and as has been mentioned in other posts you'll probably want to do the 02 sensor change to richen your fuel mixture. A decel pop is actually fairly common.

Spyder Garage

I understand the decelartion pop. This is not it. I will hear at different times, a loud firecracker pop, gun shot pop type of back fire.
    RT-S # 352; Timeless Black... faster than any other color. Mods: EasternBeaver PC8 Fuse Box, 12v digital dashboard display, RearTrunk internal Lights.
    Pioneer XMP3 hardwired, KewlMetal highway foot rests, PolkAudio Speaker upgrades (dxi525 & dxi400), Custom Garmin Nuvi bracket and wiring, Panel Savers, Custom LED array third brake light and rear signal LED's. Custom mud flap lights. Daytime Running Lights (3wattsx6). Heated Corbin seat with 'Lamonster' cut. JBL 400watt Amp,
    Other secret mods.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I understand the decelartion pop. This is not it. I will hear at different times, a loud firecracker pop, gun shot pop type of back fire.
    Check for leaks where the new pipe attaches. Header or pipe leaks will admiit air, which can cause loud backfiring.
    -Scotty

Mod Maniac
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Check for leaks where the new pipe attaches. Header or pipe leaks will admiit air, which can cause loud backfiring.
    -Scotty
    And... it could have been doing that all along... the original stock pipe was just doing it's job and keeping it quiet. I've seen that before.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ataDude View Post
    And... it could have been doing that all along... the original stock pipe was just doing it's job and keeping it quiet. I've seen that before.

Spyder Garage

Silly question: How can I check for leaks?
    I did notice that when I fired up the Spyder from a cold stay, I felt small puffs of exhaust air come OUT of the four little slits where the Micron connects to the 90Degree pipe. The bolts are as tight as I dare without stripping them.

I would expect the leak you are referring to let air IN, not OUT.
    Other secret mods.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Silly question: How can I check for leaks?
    I did notice that when I fired up the Spyder from a cold stay, I felt small puffs of exhaust air come OUT of the four little slits where the Micron connects to the 90Degree pipe. The bolts are as tight as I dare without stripping them.

I would expect the leak you are referring to let air IN, not OUT.
    Those are likely the culprit. The new exhaust scavenges so well that when you let off, it actually pulls a vacuum on the pipe. That lets in air, which allows any residual fuel (mostly from letting off the throttle suddenly) in the hot muffler to detonate, resulting in a backfire.

Sounds like there is a gasket problem, or the pipe isn't inserted far enough. Some have used high temp sealant as a cure (Ugh!) I'm sure Magic Man can offer some advice, as well as others here who have done this mod.