Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Whistler Crusader

Does anyone have any experience with this radar detector? Will it fit in either of the gauge locations on the RT dash if i disconnect the gas or temperature gauge? It looks rather deep in the photos.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Yes I have it on my RT. I placed it where the old fuel guage was. The install is easy and it works great. I got the free heads up with mine but the blue Led that is on the dash that comes with it is very bright and I can see it in all light conditions. It comes with a rear laser detector so you need a mini stereo jack extendsion to get all the way back to the license plate.

The screen is hard to read at night but is easy to read in the day light. It has no audio (beeper or otherwise) but you can buy a add on.

I don't think it leaks but the screen does fog up some times but as it warms up it goes away.

For $129 its a bargain compared to most anything else you add to this bike, lol
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Nice. Noticed my fuel gauge starting to bounce, with a swing of plus or minus 1/4 a tank. Wanted to put a voltmeter in there anyways, and was wondering what to put in the other gauge spot since it will need disconnecting as well.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default Mud Flap

Hey bluestratos,
    Where did you get the material for the extended rear mud flap? It is one of the best I have seen so far.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

I bought a cheap pair of mud flaps for a truck at O'Riellys Auto parts (seen the same ones at Napa). They cost $11.99 for two. I cut one on my small table saw to 9 1/2" wide. This left one rounded corner so I traced it and copied to the opposite side. When I installed it I used 3 small stainless roundhead bolts, next size down from 2/56 (1/ something). I drilled three small holes in the grove along the bottom of the RT fender and mounted it tight, then I added one more a bit higher (this one is a small dome head allen bolt) that I used to really pull the piece up tight to the back side of the fender which resulted in curve and arch that both matchse the fender and the curve of the tire. Not sure where you can buy these small bolts, washer and nuts, I have them in my collection from my radio control building days. 2/56 bolts are more common and pretty small but will show a bit more.

It got a good test on Sunday, it snowed about 2" of slush on the roads so it was really throughing out some splash on the sides but the rear end stayed relatively clean. Before even the top of the trunk would get filthy, covered with anything that you can immagine... small stones, wood chips, grass, mud etc. This trip it got a bit of dirt up to the mud license plate, the rest remained clean.

I went back and found the sticker there as well just to bring it to live a bit. I have some chrome trim from my last F350 that went on the door panels. It is about 6" wide so I plan to cut a piece of accent trim to go along the bottom edge when I get the ambition, lol

Take care,

Randy
    Last edited by bluestratos; 02-29-2012 at 10:32 AM.

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man
    Spyder Garage

Nice job, Randy! I'm going to book mark this one. This is a future project, for sure.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Randy, thanks for the detailed reply. You did a job on your mods. I will be adding this to my to do list as well!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Sorry for all the typos, I had a few minutes to spare so I really rushed the reply. I have corrected most of them.

I live for doing mods, I have the bike torn apart almost every weekend. I attend this forum several times a day looking for new ideas. I have a theme I want to stay with... I like techy, quality, practical type mods and really do not want to just hang chrome or LEDs everywhere (Just my nature, not an oppion of others work as I really like the look on thier bikes).

If you do put mud flaps on post a pic, I would love to see others "decor", lol.

Regards,

Randy

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    Yes I have it on my RT. I placed it where the old fuel guage was. The install is easy and it works great. I got the free heads up with mine but the blue Led that is on the dash that comes with it is very bright and I can see it in all light conditions. It comes with a rear laser detector so you need a mini stereo jack extendsion to get all the way back to the license plate.

The screen is hard to read at night but is easy to read in the day light. It has no audio (beeper or otherwise) but you can buy a add on.

I don't think it leaks but the screen does fog up some times but as it warms up it goes away.

For $129 its a bargain compared to most anything else you add to this bike, lol
    Have they not stop producing it? It is still available at Amazon but not on their own website...

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

The last time I checked it was sold by venders so I never checked Whistlers site. Try this site, it was where I bought mine from. www.buyradardetectors.com/products/whistler/whistler-cruisader.aspx

Good luck