Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

had a 1600 Vulcan and loved it, but the new wife was a little leery of two wheels, and at 75 years old the balance was a little shacky we love the rt and it doesn''t fall over while I try to make up my mind where I was going when I turned into the parking lot at Safeway

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow, great comments you all, makes me feel not so different...though different I always like to be, lol. Can't wait to meet some of you but unfortunately looks like it will be Lamont's barbecue for my first event. I am sure I will hook up for a ride with some local riders before that.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Road my last HD (1990 FLH) until 2005 at which time I sold it to my brother with 80K miles on the clock... he still has it.. went 5 years without riding but after 50+ years of riding I couldn't stand it... bought my RT-S and haven't looked back... Totally different experience but a good experience none-the-less...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default How many

Quote Originally Posted by Chazzman View Post
    I am just curious how many RT owners came off a Goldwing, BMW touring, or HD touring. I went form HD's to BMW then kept a GL1800 for 7 years, while having other brands in the stable, now my Roadster is the only Ryde I have. I gave up two wheels, honestly because I just pushed the limits too much...

My GL1800 and HD friends just can't believe that I am on a Roadster... They just don't get it... It definitely isn't a motorcycle, but hey I am still in the wind and enjoy the safety, comfort and my wife is really happy to get me off 2 wheeled motorcycles.

If you came from these 2 wheeled touring brands then why did you buy 3 wheels? I hear of bad backs, knees, health reasons, disabilities, age, so what's your reason.
    I came off of a BMW K1200GT. I was touring in Nova Scotia and dropped my Beemer 3 times. Enough, I said. I bought my first Spyder when I got back home.

RT-S PE#0134
    Spyder Garage

Last ride before Spyder RS then RT-S was a HD Electra Glide Classic....

GK

Spyder Garage

Default 2 Wheels to 3

Switched from a 1992 Goldwing to the 2010 Spyder RT in 2011. Health issues caused the switch.
    Still have the Goldwing with matching trailer for sale.
    Smitty

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;414937]EDIESHIP999....YOU ROCK.............MIKE....[/QUOTE

+1

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man
    Spyder Garage

Chazzman, I had a really bad spill in 1987 at the age of 22. I had bikes all of my life. Started riding dirt in JR. High, moved to a Honda Night Hawk for my first street bike and then the Honda Hurricane in 87'. I loved that bike. It taught me a lot about riding and it also taught me that my skills weren't up to it's abilities. I slid out in a turn racing some friends. Missed the guard rails and the multitude of little yellow signs with the little black arrows showing a turn. We had a rule back then on sport bikes. Take the speed limit of the turn and double it. Needless to say I didn't make the 35 mph turn when I lost it at 70 mph. Of all the things that I missed when I slid out the one thing that I didn't miss was the woods. I was lucky to have survived that crash. It was rider error to say the least. It took me 20 years to get the desire to ride back. The movie 'Wild Hogs'. Went right and out purchased a Honda VTX 1300 and added a bunch of chrome and stuff. I didn't enjoy riding it at all. We thought about the Gold Wing and went to look at them. Beautiful bikes, I love em'. My wife wasn't that crazy about being on two wheels anymore, so I suggested that we go look at Spyders, but we'd leave the bike at home so that we wouldn't impulse buy on the spot. We impulse bought on the spot, LOL. After the test ride we were hooked. Made the deal and brought the Honda back as a trade in the following morning. That is one of the few large purchases that I have made that I didn't question my thinking or have buyer's remorse. For us, the Spyder is like flying. It's comfy, totally cool looking with or w/o mods and catches more eyes than anything else on the road. Another thing, the nicest people ride them. I can't say the same for some of the bikers I have known over the years collectively.

Ride on

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

That's a neat story Kevin...

Spyder Garage

Was riding a Yamaha Royal Star and loved it. Bad knee was making it hard to back up though. Rode over to Cowtown and was sold on the first test ryde. Now ryding a 2011 RT with a total knee replacement last November. Love the reverse button.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It seemed like motorcycles just kept getting heavier and taller and my legs didn't get any longer. I was riding a BMW R1100RT sport tourer which was a fantastic ride until I had to stop. Actually, it wasn't that bad if I was solo but 2-up it was just a bear to handle at slow speeds and stopped. After dropping it once and almost a second time on one two day trip, my wife and I made up our minds that we would not take another 2-up trip on a two wheeler. I rode a BMW K1200 trike and it felt really uncomfortable, then rode a Spyder GS and liked it immediately. We started saving our money toward a Spyder and, fortunately, BRP brought the RT out. The RT is the best two-up touring machine I've been on. It handles well, rides well, has the power to run with traffic anywhere, is comfortable to ride all day long on superslabs or secondary roads and it don't fall over when we stop. It doesn't get much better than that.

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Drove Gold Wings for close to 20 years. A 1982 and a 2001 that I traded in for a 2009 rs. Wanted something different and fell in love with the Spyder. They came out with the RT and when I sat on it I felt like I was home. Had to have one and am now riding a red 2011 RTS. No going back to 2 wheels.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As I read the comments here, there is one thing that I didn't mention that was the most important reason for me going to the Roadster. We were with another couple and stopped at a State Park for lunch. The parking lot went down hill at about a 45 degree, the parking spaces angled to the right, I was behind my nephew and his wife and followed them down to park beside their bike. There was no room so I did a 360 and proceeded back up the hill, now parking spaces to my left but it was a full steering lock in order to get into one. Once I made the transition fine the parking stop was made out of wood and there was a 20 ft. drop off in the front of the stop. With my attention focused on what was in front of me I had the front wheel very slightly turned and tapped the front brake.
    Of course we were body slammed to the ground and the bike was not even moving...My wife had bruised ribs for about 3 months and I cut a nasty gash in my shin on top of the bone.

This was the only time in 40 years that I dropped a 2 wheeled street bike. I had told people hundreds of times to never touch the front brake with the ft wheel turned at low speed. It was only 3 weeks earlier that I told someone that I had never tipped over a bike and both my nephews that ride Goldwings laughed and said they had dropped theirs a few times.

I really felt bad for my wife's pain, knowing that one day probably sooner than later that for me to be totally comfortable with here two up, that I would need a solution for the two wheels. Not to mention deteriorated disc in my lower back, neck pain from motocross and all the stupid dirt riding we did.

Spyder Garage

We traded in a 2003 HD altra Classic full dresser with trailer for our RT SE5 with 622 trailer. Loved the HD but it didn't meet our expectation in the Mountains. We were planning on triking it out. But with a little comon sense and alot of $$$ we decided on the RT. And we loved it ever since. We loved it so much that we went out and got the wife 2011 RS SE5 for her. We are really enjoying our riding together. Here is the pics before and after.Trip to the Hartland bikefest 2011 034 - Copy.jpgS5004467.jpgcard pics 004.jpg

corbin Lamont cut seat with back rest, graphic gator,Chrome grips, trailer hitch,buttler mug, two brothers exhaust, painted center fender strips. center brake light, Led lights, tricLed fender lights

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a Harley Heritage Softail. But with a left shoulder replacement, and some loss of strength in right arm from degenerative disease in my neck, I began to really worry about how I would pick it up if I ever laid it down. Don't worry about that anymore. Never doubted my decision to move to the Spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had a 2005 RUNE and love every minute I spent on that wonderful bike. I won many bike contests with, took 2007 Best Of Show in New Port Richie, Fla.

But as I got older the "Vertigo" took over and for the last 14 months, it was in the garage, out to be washed and back in the garage under the cover for my beautiful Rune. And I was missing out on something I have been doing sense I was 12 years old. {65 now}.

So when I started looking at Trikes as a substitute riding style, I came across my new 2012 Rs/T Limited. And the Rune had to go. I got a very good trade in on the Rune and the rest is history, and I'm back to doing what I really love to do!

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Still have the last of three Goldwings, but rarely ride it.

Spyder Garage

Default HADAWING...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...Had a 'Wing and loved it! Family considerations forced its sale years ago and I was left with riding smaller bikes that kept me out in the wind, but just weren't the same...
    Then I saw this totally different "Thing" and both the MIssus and I were hooked imediately!
    I have 2014 RT LT (cognac) Just curious, overall, which didi you like better wing or Spyder?

Ron

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As new riders we looked at a Harley, but the new tank was to wide to ride comfortably. We are both about 5'6'ish and being on the sorter side, most bikes just never felt comfortable. I did like the little 250 that we took the course on, but that isn't highway type material... the Spyder just felt better and way easier to ride. My wife did like 2 wheels, but for me, the Spyder was the only way to go. We take our young daughter with us also and no way would I feel comfortable doing that on 2...

magical member
    Spyder Garage

I've had a lot of bikes in the past 35 years or so, including VTX1800 and Goldwings. I traded my Goldwing in 2012 for an RT Limited for none of the common health reasons. I'm well built and psychically fit, I was just board with the wing and wanted to ride something different and exciting.

I did it purely out of choice... One of the smartest choices I've made and trust me I've made some dumb ones.

harry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sort of came off of an H-D Street Glide, and A BMW R1200GS, however I still have both. Simply added the RTL to the stable. Haven't ridden either of the 2-wheelers since I purchased my RTL 3-1/2 weeks ago. Just finished 4,100 miles in less than 4 weeks on the Spyder. Daytona bike week is next week, so I will probably take the Street Glide, along with the Spyder of coarse !! BB

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default why the SPYDER

we had several Harleys, two Goldwings two yamahas, and victory vision. probably liked the vision the most. after I retired from the carpenters union, the health issues started-couple of new knees, shoulder, wrist and a heart attack and 5 by-passes. just couldn't hold it up anymore and didn't want to hurt the wife. we tried several different trikes but that didn't do anything--so long story short-bought an rt and love it. still can do the breeze on the knees thing.

hope to meet all you "old guys" at spyderfest.

Spyder Garage

I am coming off a Harley Road Glide Ultra. Last year my wife purchased the ST-L in my picture and I found riding it to be a blast. We took a trip with it sharing the driving and I lived that as I arrived fresh from not having to do all the driving. The year before we took a three week trip on the Harley and one day I dropped it in a parking lot as my wife was mounting-lucky we were not hurt. We seen a number of Spyders on that trip and when we got home test drove a RS and a RT. purchased the ST the next spring.
    Decided in the fall to sell the HD and trade the ST in on a RT with trailer. It should be in soon.
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I have owned two Gold Wings, a '81 & a '95. I had the '95 triked with a Champion, had issues with pulling and holding a clutch along with lower back issues as well. So when I found a good deal on a new '12 RT S SE5, I jumped at it. I have been riding bikes of some sort for over 100K accident free.
    With any luck I can continue to ride for many more.

Spyder Garage

I was a Goldwing rider but I had a stroke in 2012. Long story short, I have balance issues and it was unconfortable for my fellow riders. In my case, the spyder is the ultimate trike
    Last edited by Frime78; 03-02-2014 at 11:12 PM.