Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deer whistle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Deer whistle

Do they work and who has them installed?

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.975967,-87.472811

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In a word... no!
    All that they do is produce a noise that is above the frequency range that humans can hear... The deer can certainly hear it, but there is absolutely NO way to accurately determine what they'll do!
    They might look up... They might just start to run; but what direction are they going to take???
    Trust you riding skills and not some piece of two-dollar technology!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 50/50

If you run stock exhaust go for it - won't break a bank
    If you run after market exhaust , don't bother
    No harm to put it on but I wouldn't count on it anyway, just wouldn't give me that piece of mind personally
    .....my 2c, just let's not open can of worms , never worth it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ow

Ow,
    Before someone hits me, just to clarify my point with exhausts - source of noise it what was I referring to - upcoming noise just scares animals naturally

RR Springfield (1 mile South of Cantrall) Illinois
    Spyder Garage

Default Scared Animals

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLorD View Post
    Ow,
    Before someone hits me, just to clarify my point with exhausts - source of noise it what was I referring to - upcoming noise just scares animals naturally
    Yes, it may scare them but as stated above, you have no idea of what direction they'll take off in. I hunt deer and on occasion, I've missed them on the first shot out of a 12 ga shotgun and been under 50 yards and they ran right for me so I could get a better shot. I should state that I've never shot at a deer that I didn't wind up eating, but yes, I've missed on my first shot. Never have missed on the last shot at the deer though....
    IMHO deer whistles aren't worth the money....

Without Trailer
    With Trailer

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Ups

Quote Originally Posted by HntngTrout View Post
    Yes, it may scare them but as stated above, you have no idea of what direction they'll take off in. I hunt deer and on occasion, I've missed them on the first shot out of a 12 ga shotgun and been under 50 yards and they ran right for me so I could get a better shot. I should state that I've never shot at a deer that I didn't wind up eating, but yes, I've missed on my first shot. Never have missed on the last shot at the deer though....
    IMHO deer whistles aren't worth the money....

.....idea of animal scared/disturbed by upcoming source of noise running towards it source didn't cross my mind, my bad, my appologies.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't know about deer whistles ...

... but the elephant whistles I bought work GREAT!!

250K miles on 2 or 3 wheels and I haven't even seen one along the road.

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I hit deer with the whistle and with out the whistles.
    There's only one sure way to avoid hitting, or being hit by deer,
    and that's don't drive where there are deer.
    When one of those woods rats wants to get you they will.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I live in rural oregon and there are deer everywhere one of my rules is try to ride between 10am and 4pm this helps ,deer alerts do help but most people install them wrong there is a right and left and there needs to be air flow so if you put them on the bumper there is body work behind and they dont get a flow thru they wont work also they will plug up with bugs and need to be cleaned, a deer will do the right thing if its not in a panic so any early warning helps if they are already on the road and blinded by your lites they may go any where but if they off to the side and have a few seconds before you are right on top of them they will go away from you toward the bush there is an insurance company that will give them away to there policy holders free so ther must be some evedince of there benifit ive run them for years the pro drivers in my area will tell you the number of deer hits per year drop with them but there are never any garentees but if even 1 in 5 head to the brush before you get there ill take it

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for all your views on this. I've hit deer head on before and it is something you think about from then on. Last thing I would want to do on spyder. Just thought it was an interesting question and wanted to see what my spyder friends where doing maybe to prevent this.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=38.061548,-87.556001

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    ... but the elephant whistles I bought work GREAT!!

250K miles on 2 or 3 wheels and I haven't even seen one along the road.

thehawk
    Where'd you get the elephant whistles?? Dennis Kirk??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Full disclaimer: I consider myself an animal lover, a good steward of the environment, love "Bambi", etc., etc.

That said, I'd be COMPLETELY SUPPORTIVE of a few years of longer no-limit deer hunting seasons in many parts of this country. The deer population has positively exploded in many areas over the last 20 years, particularly with the decline of hunting as a common hobby nationwide (not to mention the elimination of natural predators like wolves).

Clear out the roads! Plus, if it gives me some good venison jerky and sausage, I'M ALL FOR IT.

Spyder Garage

Post there's a reason for the name

+The function of the device is for the animal to look toward the source, and the rider to have the ability to recognize the eye dot and be aware.

If you install them, look for enhanced, lifted eye dot.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    2008 GS Roadster , Roadster Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Many years ago someone did a study on the effect of deer whistles and published it in one of the motorcycle magazines of the time. They found that the deer were more likely to run onto the highway than away from it in response to a whistle. Of course, they had to use the whistles available then and perhaps they have been improved over the years.

When that study was published I had a whistle on my motorcycle but immediately removed it and haven't used one since. I live in the deer country of Idaho (also elk, moose and bears) and by some great good fortune have never hit one of these critters. Some of the caution techniques described earlier in this thread (time of day, etc.) are helpful I think.

Mike
    SE Idaho
    www.rtwrider.net
    Last edited by liketoride2; 01-08-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: misspelling

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by liketoride2 View Post
    Many years ago someone did a study on the effect of deer whistles and published it in one of the motorcycle magazines of the time. They found that the deer were more likely to run onto the highway than away from it in response to a whistle.
    That's because they installed 'em backwards and were attracting them instead of repelling them.

Spyder Garage

Default deer whistles

i believe they work. when i didnt have them they wouldnt go willy nillie. i out them on years age and i have noticed that they will look at you but dont panic. they will not,however, work on buffalo.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post
    Full disclaimer: I consider myself an animal lover, a good steward of the environment, love "Bambi", etc., etc.

That said, I'd be COMPLETELY SUPPORTIVE of a few years of longer no-limit deer hunting seasons in many parts of this country. The deer population has positively exploded in many areas over the last 20 years, particularly with the decline of hunting as a common hobby nationwide (not to mention the elimination of natural predators like wolves).

Clear out the roads! Plus, if it gives me some good venison jerky and sausage, I'M ALL FOR IT.
    Actually it's not so much a lack of natural predation as it is a loss of habitat for the critters... They're getting pushed into less and less space all of the time!
    But I'd love some more venison hot dogs if you've got any to spare...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by draboo View Post
    That's because they installed 'em backwards and were attracting them instead of repelling them.
    So ... given that scenario, where can I order GIRL whistles??

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just be careful about where you get them... The same folks make the Elephant whistles...

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by thehawk View Post
    So ... given that scenario, where can I order GIRL whistles??

thehawk
    You can get them at any construction site in Manhattan.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just be careful about where you get them... The same folks make the Elephant whistles...
    With my luck the packer in the warehouse would mix the order and all I'd get would be girl elephants

thehawk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My insurance gave me the deer whistles for my cars and bikes. My property backs up to 10,000 acres of woods and wet land with a creek running through to the river and lots of deer. Between 6PM and 6AM the deer are up in my lower yard and crossing the street to woods on the other side. When coming home in the evenings I have to watch carefully for them but have noticed that since I have the whistles on they do step back into the trees as I approach. While I can't say it's the whistles for sure It gives me a little peace of mind seeing the deer react as I approach. Even so I am always watchful as they can do some unpreditable things.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed here in North Jersey, The deer are getting smarter and only cross the roads where the State put up deer crossing signs. I guess all the ones that don't use those crossing's are slowly being taken out of the gene pool.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I can't say whether these whistle deals work or don't work but this is my personal experience with them:

In 40 some years of driving I had never hit a deer....came scary close several times but no contact. They were getting pretty plentiful around the late 90's and I saw the whistles and thought they might be a nice little bit of added protection. Less then a month later....a brief flash in the headlights and...WHAM!! A nice big 8 pointer! OK, just bad luck....right? A couplw weeks after getting the truck out of the body shop....WHAM again! A medium sized doe!

Conclusion....the whistles may work for others but they sure don't work for me!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow dude! That kinda sums it up.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.994105,-87.556059