Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just got the Utopia Backrest for my RT today and have looked at the instructions, also searched for videos or better pictures. I have old eyes and can't really make out a few of the details.
    I won't be doing the install for another week as I am gong out of town, but I sure would like to see some pix of the install.
    Any help will be appreciated. I don't like the idea of cutting the seat. I especially don't like the idea of screwing it up!

best,
    Joe

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    I just got the Utopia Backrest for my RT today and have looked at the instructions, also searched for videos or better pictures. I have old eyes and can't really make out a few of the details.
    I won't be doing the install for another week as I am gong out of town, but I sure would like to see some pix of the install.
    Any help will be appreciated. I don't like the idea of cutting the seat. I especially don't like the idea of screwing it up!

best,
    Joe
    Joe- I wrote this about my install....
    WE HAVE UTOPIA!!!

I saw so many Utopia mods at SpyderFest, talked to happy owners and sat on a couple. I was sold. It came in yesterday an I'm riding on it today ( took the day off to mount it).

Like everyone said, the most scary part is taking a knife to the seat! YIKES!! But after you measure 3 times ya suck it up and cut.

The HARDEST part was aligning the threaded holes from the inside the seat bar with the holes in the external piece to get the bolts in. With help from a lunchtime visitor- GLRANGE (who is a member here but has yet to get his Spyder), we got the bolts in. 5 minutes later we were done!!

Taaaa Daaaaaa.....

This last pic shows the under seat bracket. You may need to flip it over for it to make sense

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Good info, Phil, thanks. Now, tell us also about your strap-on cushions you have there. Do they work well, and if so, where available? Thx!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Radguy View Post
    Good info, Phil, thanks. Now, tell us also about your strap-on cushions you have there. Do they work well, and if so, where available? Thx!
    I love them. I saw them on a Spyder while at SpyderFest last year. Mine are lamb + gel. I'll have to research since I can't remember where I got them

Spyder Garage

Got the covers here---
    http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm

I got the largest pad. Fun & comfy

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Got the covers here---
    http://www.amspecialtiesusa.com/gelpad.htm

I got the largest pad. Fun & comfy

Thank you!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Phil- Thank for the pictures. The last one is especially helpful.
    I noticed in the instructions it says to "peel the backing off the boot and stick it in place" then cut.
    I got the set up that allows for quick removal of the backrest and the "boot" doesn't have any backing, or sticky parts. it seems to attach by Velcro to the rectangle tube that goes into the seat and does not seem to secure to the seat itself. It really doesn't look like it will work and needs to be stuck to the seat- I may have to glue it.
    Has anyone done an install with the quick disconnect option?

I see a phone number on the instructions and I will be calling them for some guidance on this. I suspect things will be a lot clearer to me when I have the seat off.

many thanks for the pix.

Joe.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jgwoods View Post
    I got the set up that allows for quick removal of the backrest and the "boot" doesn't have any backing, or sticky parts.
    I also ordered the quick removal one. Please keep us posted on what you find out about the install.

Spyder Garage

Sorry- no help from me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rando View Post
    I also ordered the quick removal one. Please keep us posted on what you find out about the install.
    I just finished this install this afternoon.It took me 3-4 hours and I was doggin'.Couple of tips:
    -Filleting knife cuts the whole deal like butter
    -drill out the holes on the bracket about 1/16",will give you a little forgiveness in aligning the bolts.
    -slide the strip down the shaft around 1/2",it seems to work well.

Level of difficulty: 1 cut!! (out of 5)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Eraser View Post
    -slide the strip down the shaft around 1/2",it seems to work.
    Can you explain this one, thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Can you explain this one, thanks.
    The top "strip" with the snap cover attached to it is held in place by two strips of velcro that go down the shaft.As you push the shaft into the seat it compresses the top "strip" into the seat giving it a nice tight fit to the seat.There is no adhesive used to keep this in place(the one for the RS has an adhesive on the top "Strip" that holds it in place),the pressure of pushing the shaft into the seat holds it in place.It does travel upwards slightly when you insert the shaft so allowing about a 1/2" space allows it to travel upwards and still remain just about flush to the seat.Sounds more confusing than it is,but it is important that strip is placed properly on the shaft.Trial and error might be a bit of a hassle,try a 1/2" and I think you'll be fine.
    Check out the pic with the back rest tilted forward and note the height of the shaft that comes out of the seat.Happy to talk with you on it if you want to call me.
    *Actually the close-up pic shows the "Strip" and the shaft and how much it can compress.
    Last edited by Eraser; 09-17-2011 at 06:08 PM. Reason: addition

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks! My backrest arrived today and your explanation now makes perfect sense. I hope to install it on Wednesday.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks! My backrest arrived today and your explanation now makes perfect sense. I hope to install it on Wednesday.

Great! It really is an easy install and well worth the effort.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Rain predicted for the next 3 days. I just finished the install. I have yet to put the seat back on but I got the surgery done and everything bolted tight. Mine is the removable kind. Eraser your pictures were a huge help.
    The hardest part was starting the 2 bolts under the seat where the 2 supplied brackets meet. I uses my drill with it's 9/32 bit on it and went in and out of the 2 holes I drilled about 200 times, each time I drew a little more white foam up the bit until I had a fairly clear area to work in. Other than that is was just that nervous moment with knife in hand about to cut the very expensive seat.
    Now I really appreciate surgeons.
    Many thanks to previous posters and thier helpful hints. I lined everything up with a tapered punch.

Can't wait for a good day to ride

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got mine yesterday installed it in about an hour looks like it came on the bike from the factory !

Spyder Garage

Default Looks comfortable, but...

I don't think I could lift my leg high enough to get over it with the backrest up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FrankPa View Post
    I don't think I could lift my leg high enough to get over it with the backrest up!
    The back rest folds down.

Spyder Garage

On their website, Utopia refers to the Custom Backrest Bar Installation. What's with this? I don't see anyone talking about a Bar installation under the seat (I think) that requires taking off the seat material. Will somone please explain if you know.
    Thanks.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Finally had time to install my Utopia backrest tonight and it sure looks awesome! My only question to those who have had one for awhile is how do you keep rain/water from going down into the seat? I'm thinking about gluing a piece of black vinyl around the bottom of the bar that goes thru the seat.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Finally had time to install my Utopia backrest tonight and it sure looks awesome! My only question to those who have had one for awhile is how do you keep rain/water from going down into the seat? I'm thinking about gluing a piece of black vinyl around the bottom of the bar that goes thru the seat.
    Did you install the black plastic grommet around the hole for the bar ?

Here is a pic I snagged from Utopia's website that shows the grommet. I'm pretty sure you would have installed this.

If you did, you should find that the fit for the bar is close enough to prevent water infiltration. Especially after all the other hardware is mounted to the support bar that acts like a rainhood.
    I've been through many rainstorms and haven't had a problem yet.

Still, your idea can only make the installation even better.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dshogman View Post
    On their website, Utopia refers to the Custom Backrest Bar Installation. What's with this? I don't see anyone talking about a Bar installation under the seat (I think) that requires taking off the seat material. Will somone please explain if you know.
    Thanks.
    From your avatar I see that you're riding an RS/GS. You are correct. The passenger portion of the saddle has to be uncovered. There is a bar that goes on top of the saddle. That provides the support for when you lean back into the backrest. The foam padding isn't glued on, so it's not difficult mounting the bar. The toughest part is really stapling the cover down. I never got mine looking right. Bob, of Utopia, contacted me and asked if there was some sideways motion to the backrest. I told him that there was & he asked me to send my saddle to him because he had a fix for it. I did & he stapled the cover down right.
    Last edited by MarkLawson; 12-30-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    Did you install the black plastic grommet around the hole for the bar ?

Here is a pic I snagged from Utopia's website that shows the grommet. I'm pretty sure you would have installed this.

If you did, you should find that the fit for the bar is close enough to prevent water infiltration. Especially after all the other hardware is mounted to the support bar that acts like a rainhood.
    I've been through many rainstorms and haven't had a problem yet.

Still, your idea can only make the installation even better.
    Yes, I have the grommet installed, but it's not a tight fit with the bracket and I'm concerned about water getting into the seat.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpydherLuv View Post
    Yes, I have the grommet installed, but it's not a tight fit with the bracket and I'm concerned about water getting into the seat.
    I do not not fret about water leaking into the seat from this area. I have been in countless rain storms and washed the RT many times without problem. Prior to having a Utopia for the RT I ran one on a Goldwing with zero issues. The backrest pouch shields this area, but even when I removed the backrest and ran in the rain I never experienced any signs of water seepage through the area covered by the Utopia grommet.

However, if you have a concern about water seepage you could caulk this area with flexible, waterproof silicone or maybe place a rubber grommet/gasket over your bar for extra insurance. Whatever alleviates your concern is the best thing to do.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default quick release

has anyone installed a utopia back rest with the quick release connector ? is so please post your experience & opinion---Thanks Budro

Quote Originally Posted by InspectorGadget View Post
    I have installed 3 of these already and the hardest thing to do is get over the fact that you have to cut into the seat, and also getting the seat back on without loosing any parts down the hole behind the seat.
    Just follow the instructions that are provided and call if you need me to walk you through it.
    You will like it and your back will thank you for it.
    Have fun abd ryde safe. C-YA RL